Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he shouldn't be our captain but he is still a solid defender who can have an important role in our NT, today he was released by Pompey and he will be looking for another club (most likely in the Bundesliga)....

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=288336&cc=5739

off-field problems but I don't know what they can be, this isn't that shocking becuase he and Harry Redknappy really don't like each other! :D
Good Luck to Boris in finding a new club but I feel like im the only one that supports him and actually doesn't mind him in our line-up.

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
thats a shame he should have at least finished the season there. For him to be in our starting 11 is a shame because it means we don't have anyone better than him, when in fact we do. He is a solid defender at best at times otherwise he can't do shit with the ball which should be so UN-Croatian. Sub yes like Tomas otherwise to have him start is an injustice to all.

·
Registered
68,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is his off field problem depression? did he even know how to speak English? reading Pompey boards they are shocked that this happen and its about 50/50, half think he deserved to leave and he didn't care but the other half thought he was a good player and played his ass off.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
He's 28 a seasoned international with experience at a big club like Leverkusen.Pompey signed for 3 years on a free and they have now released him :confused: He was spectacular but he was a good player for Portsmouth IMO.They shouldnt be releasing players of that quality IMO.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
i just read on kicker that he signed for stuttgart. i also read about a possible contract extension for soldo. ive watched a lot of the bundesliga this year and soldo has been fantastic despite his age. he has to be ranked as one of the best defensive midfielders in germany today. did he retire from international football or does he just not get called up? i think hes a much better option than niko kovac because he can distribute the ball so much better. with him and leko in the middle, youll have a great central midfield.

·
Banned
852 Posts
he has to be ranked as one of the best defensive midfielders in germany today
Kicker ranks him as the 2nd best midfielder and the 5th best player in the Bundesliga. Unfortunately he retired from International Football a while ago. I wish he would change his mind though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I thought at the time that the Zivkovic move to Pompey was not going to be a good one. This is how it has ended up and is further proof that Croatian players just do not suit the English Premier league style.

Has it been confirmed that he has joined Stuttgart? If so I think it is a good move for him going back to Germany where he played his best football. He would also be joining a team that it is in the top 3 in Germany.

Soldo is playing as well as ever has in his career. He is 36 and I can't see him playing for the NT again, but he seems to be getting better with age.

·
Registered
68,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes he has joined the team but he will not be able to play in any of thier Champion's League games I believe.

·
Registered
68,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Super Croat you are right, my mistake Zivkovic WILL be able to play in the CL but the other player they signed today (Swiss international) won't be able to. I guess I read to article too fast to understand it, its on uefa.com.

·
Registered
68,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"HARRY REDKNAPP today claimed Boris Zivkovic's attitude 'stank the place out'
The Blues boss accused the defender of being a bad trainer who never wanted to
be at Pompey.

Redknapp reckoned he could release a video of the mistakes Zivkovic had made
that had cost Pompey goals.

He was blasting back after Croatia's captain walked out on Pompey with a bitter
attack on his boss.

The 28 year-old ripped up his three-year contract just six months and 20 games
into his Pompey career.

Zivkovic claimed Redknapp had crushed his confidence - with constant criticism
and by playing him out of position.

But the Blues boss said: "I don't think he wanted to be here from day one. I
got that feeling when we were up in Scotland on our pre-season tour.

We're talking about a sour player.

He was a horror and I'm glad he's gone. His attitude stank the place out.
He said he didn't enjoy the training sessions. Well we didn't enjoy his
sessions.

I dropped him against Man City last weekend and it was a better dressing
room without him involved. If you ask the other lads they'll be pleased to
see the back of him. His attitude was wrong. He wasn't part of the team.

I try to build a team with terrific spirit, but there's always one bad apple
in the barrel, and unfortunately he was the one.

I could make a video out of the goals we let in from his mistakes. He reckons
he should have been playing centre-half, but every time he went to head the
ball he was found wanting.

Ryan Giggs won a header at the back post off him at Old Trafford, and Diego
Forlan scored. At Southampton he let Marian Pahars dribble around him for a
goal. For Everton's first goal against us he let the ball be played inside
him. Even on the opening day of the season he gave away a penalty when he let
someone inside him.

Do you want me to carry on? Leading up to the first goal against Aston Villa
last week he pulled out of a tackle with Dion Dublin.

He said I crushed him. Well he crushed me with the goals he kept giving away."

Zivkovic criticised Pompey's training sessions and said he'd stopped enjoying
going to work. Croatia's captain arrived on a free transfer in the summer
after leaving Bayer Leverkusen but is now in Germany looking for another club.

Redknapp said: "This is what happens when you take gambles on people. Thankfully
it's not done any real financial damange. We signed him on a free transfer
and we've not had to pay him to leave. There are other clubs who have spent
£6M or £7M on players and things haven't worked out.

The only damage he's done is in goals cost and points lost."

Zivkovic still had two and a half years of is £13,000 a week contract left -
worth more than £1.5M

harsh words!

·
Registered
68,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK the last article was Redknapp about Zivkovic now this one is Zivkovic on Redknapp...

The Croatian defender Boris Zivkovic has written off £1.5m in wages by quitting Portsmouth six months into a three-year contract.
The 28-year-old yesterday walked out on the final two-and-a-half years of his £13,000-a-week deal criticising the manager Harry Redknapp for spending training sessions on his mobile phone rather than taking part.
The Croatia captain held talks with the Premiership club's chairman Milan Mandaric after being dropped from the squad for Pompey's 4-2 win over Manchester City on Saturday.

Zivkovic, who has made 18 Premiership appearances since joining Portsmouth from Bayer Leverkusen in June, claims Redknapp's remote-controlled training sessions are hampering the club's Premiership survival bid.

Zivkovic said: "In my six months at the club the manager only stopped training to get involved five times. A good manager would stop things at least 10 times every session but he spends most of his time on the sidelines on the telephone."

Zivkovic says his confidence was battered after being publicly criticised by Redknapp following last month's derby at Southampton. Redknapp accused him of failing to pay attention as a substitute and gifting Marian Pahars a goal.

Zivkovic added: "My relationship with the manager has deteriorated over the last two or three months. I didn't feel wanted or respected. He was always saying things were my fault in front of the other players.

"I came to Portsmouth because it was my dream to play in the Premiership but my confidence has been totally ruined. I know when I have played badly and when I have made mistakes in matches but Harry Redknapp thinks everything is my mistake.

"It is hard enough when I am being criticised in the dressing room but when the manager starts telling the papers that it is my fault we lost enough is enough."

Zivkovic, who helped Leverkusen to the 2002 Champions League final, has returned to Germany to search for a new club before captaining his country at the European Championships.

He added: "The manager said I could leave the club last week. I felt crushed because when a manager says that you know you have to go.

"I'm the type of person who has to be wanted. I want to be happy playing my football. I like to have an arm put around my shoulders.

"I didn't want to stay where I was unhappy and had the prospect of not playing for the first team. I want to play with a smile on my face and I want to train with a smile on my face."

·
Registered
36,107 Posts
Yeah, Soldo is class...poor guy couldn't get a game for the NT at his peak because of that no talent bum Zvone Boban :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
This was an extroadinary attack from Redknap on Zivkovic. I think that there has to be some serious question marks over whether Zivkovic can keep his place in the NT. Harry Redknap is an experienced and well respected manager in English football. I don't think we can just dismiss the comments that he made and Baric will take particular interest.

I think that Zivikovic needs to put the Pompey debacle behind him and move on to better things at Stuttgart. If he doesn't perform for Stuttgart I think his days in the NT will just about be over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts