Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can’t wait for this one, not having a match during the week makes me suicidal.

-Jon Otsemobor is in the Bolton squad after his loan move until the end of the season. I think he’ll probably start on the bench though.

-Pongolle and Baros are back in the squad for us which is good, we’ve now got a bit of striking cover and hopefully at least one of them will be on the bench.

-Their main teams news is that Jay-Jay Okocha is still away with the Super Eagles and they’ve also got Howey and Giannakopoulos out.

The team I would love to see start is the same one that played in the derby and finished the match against Newcastle. If we turn out another performance as good as the derby I’m convinced we’ll take max points. But I'd still like to see Owen getting more supply. As Charlton don't play till Sunday (and they're away at The Bridge) we'll go into fourth if we can match Newcastle's result AND win.

C'MON YOU REDS! :fero:

Liverpool Matchday Squad:

Dudek, Finnan, Henchoz, Hyypia, Carragher, Kewell, Gerrard, Hamann, Le Tallec, Cheyrou, Owen, Murphy, Rise, Traore, Biscan, Luzi, Baros, Pongolle, Smicer.

Bolton Matchday Squad:

Jaaskelainen, Hunt, N'Gotty, Thome, Barness, Giannakopoulos, Campo, Frandsen, Nolan, Djorkaeff, Davies, Pedersen, Charlton, Ba, Moreno, Poole, Otsemobor, Pezzarossi

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Ostemobor won't play unless Bolton are desperate, Houllier and Alardyce have a gentlemans agreement.

D

·
0 Posts
I think Otsemobor should be let play, just so he can show how well he does against one of the best left wingers in the business. i think Ged should have asked big sam(manager of the year!) to play him

I'm hoping to see us line up as follows:

Dudek
Finnan-Henchoz-Hyypia-Carragher
LeTallec-Gerrard-Hamann-Kewell
Owen-Sinama

however i expect Cheyrou to start, which is ok given his recent form.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CardiffRed said:
Ostemobor won't play unless Bolton are desperate, Houllier and Alardyce have a gentlemans agreement.
Yeah, that would make sense; I saw he was in the squad though and heard he would be on the bench.

Good team there Doc, but this 4-2-3-1 system has looked good and I think the XI that played against Everton are the best ones for it.

D

·
0 Posts
agreed, i'd just like to see Flo and Le Talent play together when we are at full strength. Also like to see how Flo and Owen pair together with a full strength team behind them.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
51' Sami Hyypia makes it 1-1 with a powerful header from yards.

58' [2 - 1] Youri Djorkaeff Volleys home after a Davies header set him up.Bottom right hand corner.

69' [2 - 2] Steven Gerrard hits one home from 18 yards after a cross from Tony Le T.

C'mon you reds.Everton are 3-3 with Mancs after trailing 3-0 at HT :eek: dont know whether to laugh or cry.Newcastle are beating the Foxes 3-1.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
See much of the game?

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I watched the first half and left disgusted by the score at HT. And went promptly to bed. So any comments would be pertaining to first half only.

We picked up from where we left off against Bluenose and attacked from the onset. Owen should have glanced home the Gerrard freekick. It was obvious that Gerrard was the livewire in the side, backed by Kewell who did lots of running. Cheryou and Le Tallac was missing for most of the game, while we glide through the midfield. The final ball is once again lacking and we were down after a pin-ball in the box left Hunt stroking the ball home from edge of the box. Then our game fell apart and we were sloppy and the one real chance we had had Kewell latching onto a Gerrard (who else?) ball, took round Jessi, but he was by then too wide. Can't blame him though. Jessi was good. So disgusted and disappointed by the scoreline, but overall, we were alright.

Final score 2-2. Glad that we made our possession count (and hopefully the quality of the side), but rue another few points lost. Thank goodness we are only points away from 4th, so despite us not winning for four games, we are still in touch. Optimists would say had we won at Wolves or against Bluenose, we would have been in that primed spot.

paw;)

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
CardiffRed said:
See much of the game?
We havent won in 4 games, all to familiar, Hell you could say were having a run with 2 draws in a row.I dont care about the performance, we had to equalise against Bolton twice so piss off and go somewhere where there are brainless drones like yourself and oneday you might realise that the current state of LFC is not acceptable.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
King of the Kop said:
We havent won in 4 games, all to familiar, Hell you could say were having a run with 2 draws in a row.I dont care about the performance, we had to equalise against Bolton twice so piss off and go somewhere where there are brainless drones like yourself and oneday you might realise that the current state of LFC is not acceptable.
Sorry KOTK, but u were expecting to win each and every remaining game we have? I'm not glad that we drew.. but calling it a fvcking disgrace is a bit too much (IMO at least)..

Bolton (apart from the top 2) are the form team in the league at the moment.. and had they won.. it would have been the first time they string 4 consecutive EPL wins.. with that said, I'd expect them coming in to the match thinking of 3 points.. we did the same.. and from what I read, we put in a performance that was far from shameful..

Remember the 20 game winning streak LB was talking about.. well I hope it does happen.. but I'm being a bit realistic here.. it won't.. not with the team we have.. the form they are showing and the manager running the show.. We're targetting 4th spot (although a real push and I think Chelsea's 3rd spot is not so bad either).. and we're not far at all from being there.. ya we had a bad result (point wise).. but can we back the side for once! I've been away for a while.. and when I return... half of what I'm reading is blame, disgrace, poor and shame! :) (At a time when we've played two of our best games in a row [vs Everton and Newcastle in the Cup])..

Again, I don't like the way we're heading.. and think we need to start fixes the mistakes.. and BELIEVE me I understand how frustrated we are.. but I think a little backing of the side is required.. and again, calling a 2-2 draw a f*cking disgrace to me is a bit harsh..

Just my 2c

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
It might not be a ****ing disgrace but it is very very close to it.

The point is we NEED to win this match cos of our winless 4 run of bad result.

Standards has indeed dropped if we say 'we played well but did not win, but it is alright cos we are playing well, etc'. Playing well in my defination means playing good fotball and winning.

Man U went to Everton, play them off the park for most of the match, had a bad 25 minutes but won the match, get 3 points and everyone acknowledge they played badly.

Of cos to be realistic, no Man U fan, manager and player expect the EPL to be smooth sailing and they should expect to draw and lose a few matches along the way and have some hard and torrid minutes. However the mentality of everybody connected to Man U and Arsenal is that they must play everyone off the park and win every matches. That's why they have the will to succeed, the hungiest of the teams in the EPL. That's why they dominated the EPL for the past few seasons. One of the two will be disappointed to get 2nd this season and here we are, we will be delighted if we get 4th 'considering the circumstances'.

We have none of this mentality. The manager instil a player a mentelity of 'we must get some positives if we do not win. Like for example if we play well etc.'

No wonder the players lack motivation and a lot of ppls connected with Liverpool are buying that line.

LB said we should have a 20 match unbeaten run, of cos it is unrealistic, but that should be the mentality the players on the field and GH should be having. It is not so hard izzit? it can be done, it has been done and Arsenal and Man U talk about going through the league unbeaten.

We should support the side of course, but that doesn't mean we should not be critical if they failed to measure up to our standards, unless our standards his dropped and our expecatons are such that we should just now be the best of the rest outside the Premier division (first 3 teams)of the EPL. I am not talking about standards but on current form.

In terms of standings, let face it we are never going to touch the top 3 if Chelsea win tomorrow. In current form we are really starting to mix around with the teams around us; having inconsistant results and trying to take positives from good matches even while not winning.

Of cos I am not criticising your post Yasir since you said 'With the team and manger we have' which are totally spot on.

Its just that KOTP standards are at Arsenal and Man U current level, unrealistic considering we have a crap manager. But who can blame him, he has a longer memory; Liverpool 1997 perhaps when we were once very disappointed with Evans and teh team towards the end of his reign because we were playing extremely well but we not winning enough. healthy standards in our opinions for a club like ours.

So my message to KOTP is

Welcome to mid table mediocracy. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
MINDSCAPE said:
Standards has indeed dropped if we say 'we played well but did not win, but it is alright cos we are playing well, etc'. Playing well in my defination means playing good fotball and winning.

No wonder the players lack motivation and a lot of ppls connected with Liverpool is buying that line.

LB said we should have a 20 match unbeaten run, of cos it is unrealistic, but that should be the mentality the players on the field and GH should be having. It is not so hard izzit? it can be done, it has been done and Arsenal and Man U talk about going through the league unbeaten.

We were once very disappointed with Evans towards the end of his reign because we were playing extremely well but we not winning enough. That was when standards were still healthy.

We should support the side of course, but that doesn't mean we should not be critical if they failed to measure up to our standards, unless our standards his dropped and our expecatons we should just be the best of the rest outside the Premier division (first 3 teams)of the EPL, I am not talking about standards but on current form. In terms of standings, let face it we are never going to touch the top 3 if Chelsea win tomorrow. In current form we are really starting to mix around with the teams around us having inconsistant results and trying to take positives from good matches even while not winning.

Welcome to mid table mediocracy.
I edited it abit to show the really good points but that was class Mindscape.

When i said Effing Disgrace it wasnt so much this match it's the fact that in our last 10 EPL Matches we have won twice.Defend that one CardiffRed.Although coming from behind against Bolton twice is a disgrace IMO, Do Bolton even have a player in there squad that isnt a Loan, Free or Youth graduate ? Meanwhile we have spent 130m and our best two players are Academy graduates :confused:

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
I edited my post a little, KOTK to include comments to yourself :D

Please take note.

:D :D

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
hehm to be truthful, its not so much they accept midtable.

They accept the rationale for midtable as 'something to build on for "future" generations' or midtable is ok because 'next season' we have the foundation to destroy every body in sight.

Plus midtable is ok if we have some players out, a logical opinion except that our sub bench cost more then Bolton first team.

And while I do not think we can match the top 3 team for team we should and must be able to beat the rest of the EPL and keep in touch of the top 3. But we did not and not only we did not, we are mixing around with the rest of the bunch.

Or simply because of human stubborness and they should not change their position they had 3 seasons back.

Gonna go now. Tata!

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
No probs mate, you reminded me of something with your edit.

Cardiff and Razor, Honest question, do you think we are closer to the league now than when Evans was manager ?

My personal take on it is that we havent challenged for the league once in Houlliers reign, despite second once we werent in it.Not even a league challenge in Houlliers time at the club.Another disgrace :D We were challengers with Evans plus we were playing great football with crap players.If Evans had the current squad we would be in the title race right now and be playing attacking football.Evans' weak point was always the transfer market aswell as discipline.

Here is Houlliers postmatch comments,

"We played great stuff"
"Could have been 3-1 up at half time"
"There second goal was unfortunate - it was our throw in"
"We scored a fantastic second goal"
"We should have won the game"
"I can't blame the players"
"We were unlucky in front of goal"
"We're progressing and improving"
"We showed good mental stamina"
"Wednesday is a vital game"

Top class idiocy.Fills me with hate anyway.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
LOL people get very tetchy on here.

All I asked was if you'd seen much of the game.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts