Xtratime Community banner

481 - 500 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Juventus and Atalanta are a lock for the CL spots, so we are fighting it out with Roma, Napoli and Lazio for the remaining one slot.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Piolis selection back fired; that line up with Casti & Krunic was already a nightmare before it started.

Very happy for Hauge; hope he stays strong!!

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
My hot take is that we were never that good.

The difference between this game and those we won in our great run is Theo scoring a goal vs giving away one, or Kessié scoring that chance.

Then if course there’s the key issue of the confidence that comes with results and a few selection blunders, but this is the same team as 2020.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I don't think so, I remember is putting in good performances every week. We weren't getting just lucky wins. We weren't playing this bad in the first half of the season.

Even we dropped points I didn't feel bad cause the performances and momentum was still there, like against Roma the first game where we were unlucky to draw but played excellent. Now even if we pick up points it's down to luck, the performances are garbage.

I don't know what happened but we are clearly more capable than how we have been playing since the injury crisis derailed the campaign.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Of course we were playing better, but there were several games that we won like we could have won yesterday -- overall flat but getting a break: we got a lot of important goals from PKs, getting the last minute wins, etc. We were riding a wave. Just like in the 8-10 runs of previous years, but longer and better. We all knew this was a great run that would end, even if we hope it did not.

The injuries played a role too, but I personally would not put that at the center of the analysis. Ultimately most reasonable Milan fans were saying before the season started that we would end 4-6th, and that's what this team and this manager are capable of.

·
Scudetto
23,589 Posts
I think team got tired, we don't have enough depth.

The injuries are also a major underrated factor although it seems more like an excuse.

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
You shouldn’t mix things up. It’s not on Pioli that Theo has been playing like shit for months, just like Pioli’s mistakes are not Theo’s.
I think you missed my point here. I did not say Theo mistakes was not to be counted.
I replied to Frank post that Theo has been winning us games on the early stages.
Theo has been playing shit for months???

Pioli's has to take the blame with the starting 11 and its game plan. Playing Krunic and Castillejo.
The limited game plan where going forward has to go thru Zlatan and we became too predictable.

I will be controversial here, we play some fantastic football without Zlatan.
There I say it :p

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
We missed the bus in January. That was when Elliott/Maldini/Massara, whoever, should've really strengthen the team. Clearly, imo, they got carried away by the team's performances in the first half of the season and thought we were good enough. But us fans have seen that the team is not good enough for the long haul. We've been calling it.

They made the Europa a target, which means the team was fighting on three fronts - league, EL and Coppa. You don't have to be a football expert to know this team does not have the quality and depth to do that. And what did they do? Went for a Torino reserve midfielder and a 36yo striker who hasn't played for a year. Tomori was opportunistic, not even planned. So if you ask me, January was when we dropped the ball.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Damsgaard has been really good btw.
We're are looking for a right winger and don't have to look further than someone like Damsgaard. Huge potential and keeps improving. Can problably be bought for 15-20 M Euro(Sampdoria got him for 6,5 one year ago).

Regarding Theo, I think this was the first real brainfart that led to a goal? The other mistakes were him losing the ball doing his usual raids that makes us so dangerous on the counter.. Just unlucky that the opponents scored right after he lost the balls. But I would never ask him not to do those runs..

·
Registered
46,531 Posts
@Oni You're right...he should do those runs. They are a gigantic asset for you. You just need to strengthen midfield and defence to make sure you won't generally suffer too much if he loses it. Atm, I don't think Meité is good enough.

Just look at Hakimi. He loses the ball on occasion too. However, Brozo, Barella and others will be on the case immediately. And if they can't get to it, the defence is reliable enough.

It's not even so much that you will concede a goal but that you can regain possession and control quickly so you can maintain the momentum and pressure.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Yeah Theo losing the ball or being out of possession comes with the territory and is up to the manager. You don't play a FB with those characteristics and expect him to be right next the CBs and expect him to take no risks. Unfortunately the occasional brainfart tends to come with that kind of high intensity FB too. I was just thinking Theo is probably the most similar player to Roberto Carlos in a while.

Reactions: Firdaus

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
We missed the bus in January. That was when Elliott/Maldini/Massara, whoever, should've really strengthen the team. Clearly, imo, they got carried away by the team's performances in the first half of the season and thought we were good enough. But us fans have seen that the team is not good enough for the long haul. We've been calling it.

They made the Europa a target, which means the team was fighting on three fronts - league, EL and Coppa. You don't have to be a football expert to know this team does not have the quality and depth to do that. And what did they do? Went for a Torino reserve midfielder and a 36yo striker who hasn't played for a year. Tomori was opportunistic, not even planned. So if you ask me, January was when we dropped the ball.
No disagreement here. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with Tomori: opportunistic or not, he was exactly what we needed, better than most expected, and if we decide to buy him, potentially a hell of a long-term squad member.

Not sure how much room the management had to spend real money, but yeah. I don't particularly mind Meité, as ultimately he's a 4th choice DM and he doesn't look that bad. The real mistake was the lack of real reinforcements upfront. One quality starting material addition would have made a world of difference.

Reactions: Firdaus

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #494 · (Edited)
I think what I was saying has little to do with Theo’s style of play but everything to do with the level of his performances having decreased a lot defensively but certainly also offensively where he used to be much more influential. It’s like after the Juve game, when he got schooled by Chiesa, he has lost some confidence.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Why do usually most mid table teams help Inert when they are to win something:
---
Although the Nerazzurri have all recovered, Sassuolo are again leaving out Manuel Locatelli and Gian Marco Ferrari, despite the fact they tested negative for COVID-19 after the Italy national team cluster.
“We made a decision and we’re sticking with it, that’s all there is to know,” said De Zerbi in his press conference.
“We took everything into consideration, not just football, but above all those who have been around us for over a year. We will continue along this line tomorrow, so Locatelli, Mert Muldur and Ferrari will only return to the squad once they have passed the quarantine period.
“They are still negative and could play, but we made a choice for Saturday against Roma and it’s right to continue that.”
De Zerbi also confirmed Francesco Caputo, Domenico Berardi, Gregoire Defrel and Medhi Bourabia are also still out injured, with Kaan Ayhan testing positive for COVID.

·
Registered
46,531 Posts
Yup Mandzukic was a very silly signing at a time when it was obvious we needed a real option at CF.
I thought he was a good signing at the time...cheap, available and can deliver some big things. I thought we should have gone for him.

Injuries right out of the gate though...obviously these things become more likely with age, but being rocked by this stuff immediately wasn't something I expected.

·
Registered
17,840 Posts
I thought he was a good signing at the time...cheap, available and can deliver some big things. I thought we should have gone for him.

Injuries right out of the gate though...obviously these things become more likely with age, but being rocked by this stuff immediately wasn't something I expected.
he was coming from a middle eastern club though...

·
Registered
24,138 Posts
We can still turn this around. We just need the key players to get back in form and we need to play:

----------Zlatan
Rebic - Hakan - Salemaker

and hopefully Leao as first reserve. Player these, hope for no injuries and things should solve themselves. Its just getting a bit late as we lost many points, but in the end it is still in our hands. Make it count.

As I said already before the season, I am not liking us meeting Atalanta in the last round. We need to secure UCL by round 37 when we got Inter-Juve, Roma-Lazio and Fiorentina-Napoli.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
We can still turn this around. We just need the key players to get back in form and we need to play:

----------Zlatan
Rebic - Hakan - Salemaker

and hopefully Leao as first reserve. Player these, hope for no injuries and things should solve themselves. Its just getting a bit late as we lost many points, but in the end it is still in our hands. Make it count.

As I said already before the season, I am not liking us meeting Atalanta in the last round. We need to secure UCL by round 37 when we got Inter-Juve, Roma-Lazio and Fiorentina-Napoli.
Agree, we need to stop experimenting on the right side. Play Saelemaekers in his preferred position...why start him as Rb and then take him off at half time instead of moving him up to right midfield for the average Castillejo.
We need to start Rebic even if he is only 70% fit, if the alternative is Krunic...If not play Hauge there instead.
Bennacer and Kessie sure starter in midfield. No rotating with neither Tonali or Meite. Just need some constistent line ups...We only have 9 games left. No more tinkering and all that crap.

481 - 500 of 589 Posts