Xtratime Community banner

221 - 240 of 562 Posts

·
Registered
13,960 Posts
All those EL qualfiers ffs. We should have played the youth team.
Do you really think tiredness is a major issue?

To be honest there were a number of games where I felt we scraped wins that could easily gone a different way, and especially in the case of the bigger games, I really think it was more about confidence and mojo and self-belief. The main worry for me is that we've lost that. We will probably still win several games against the weaker teams of course. I think a lot was made of our pressing and energy levels that was more by contrast with before, and we obviously improved a lot from previous managers, both as a team and in terms of individual players... But I always felt beyond that, it was more about the mental aspect.

·
Registered
12,627 Posts
Agree van that the mental aspect is very important, and that was proved with the Covid crises and playing in empty stadiums released the pressure from the players and we started playing much better and with more confidence. BUT the physical toll and injuries play a big part as well, if you are not in good physical condition than you are a totally different player. Also, you lose confidence when in bad shape or just returning from injury.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Do you really think tiredness is a major issue?

To be honest there were a number of games where I felt we scraped wins that could easily gone a different way, and especially in the case of the bigger games, I really think it was more about confidence and mojo and self-belief. The main worry for me is that we've lost that. We will probably still win several games against the weaker teams of course. I think a lot was made of our pressing and energy levels that was more by contrast with before, and we obviously improved a lot from previous managers, both as a team and in terms of individual players... But I always felt beyond that, it was more about the mental aspect.
Yes I think it’s a big issue.

Pioli also mentioned this a few weeks ago when he was asked why we see a different Milan compared to earlier in the season.

·
Scudetto
23,583 Posts
About that first goal, almost can't believe this is a real image. Modern football would probably say Calabria should have covered but I would say that's wrong and Calabria should not even be concerned about Martinez, he should be covering for player trying to cut in and come from the wing.
So much is wrong with this and I don't mean just Milan but so much is wrong with conceding from this kind of action, period.

It's because Romagnoli got beat so easily so everything became haywire.

I love Romagnoli and truly feel the hate on him is unjustified, but this was probably one of his worst matches.. But I still maintain Lukaku is an absolute beast in form.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
It was chaotic as Kjær had just sprinted across sliding in to block Lukaku and Roma was out of position.
But I am sure Maldini is looking for alternatives. As a defender himself of course he can identify Romagnolis weaknesses. When we were looking for a defender late last year, I remember Maldini mentioning pace as one of the most important atttributes for a future defender.
If we qualify for CL, I can not see it go well with Roma as a starting CB..

·
Registered
13,960 Posts
It's because Romagnoli got beat so easily so everything became haywire.

I love Romagnoli and truly feel the hate on him is unjustified, but this was probably one of his worst matches.. But I still maintain Lukaku is an absolute beast in form.
It needs to be added to this that Theo was 50 meters in front of everyone else, and took a very long time to get back. This is a guy who can run fast, could not have been tired, yet barely makes it back on time to appear on the frame, even after the first interception.

It's a play in which at least three different defenders are clearly at fault in different ways, at different moments (Theo, Romagnoli, Kjaer, in that order) -- which becomes an indictment on the defensive unit as a whole.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Romagnoli to be paired with Kjaer and Tomori to bring out the best out of him perhaps since he lacks pace; perhaps man marking will be better plus it will cover once Theo agressively goes forward. But that needs to be tried out with a plan in trainings.

·
Registered
12,627 Posts
3 at the back while good on paper without the intensive training so the players understand it would be even worst IMO.

Instead of trying to accommodate one or two players just change them.

Put Tomori instead of Roma. Also I would not keep Ibra for the full 90min ffs.

We have 7 games in 22 days now (i posted the list in the other thread) and if we don't play the primavera against ManU (either way we will lose) it would most definitely mean we wont be in top 4 after 22 days.

Time to get smart (Pioli).

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
3 at the back while good on paper without the intensive training so the players understand it would be even worst IMO.

Instead of trying to accommodate one or two players just change them.

Put Tomori instead of Roma. Also I would not keep Ibra for the full 90min ffs.
I understand your point. But isn't it basic/standard that teams go into the season having trained for, and understand, at least two alternate systems? Only a foolish coach will go into the season thinking he doesn't need to train his players for other formations other than the one single system he intended using. I'd be surprised if that's the case for Milan.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
You should always have a plan B. The same tactics has been studied by opponents by now. I dont expect Pioli to bench Romagnoli; so the best he can provide additional support at the back. While at the front RW is the weakest link; Zlatan can be paired with one of Leao/Rebic/Manduzic. Hauge should have gone on loan for more playing time as he has been excluded from EL matches.

If you recall prior these injuries most of the players were playing both league & EL matches without rest. Has there been a rotation perhaps this might have been avoided.

As much as i hate to say this; i wont mind loosing now to Man Utd; if we drop more points now we can kiss good bye to top 4 as it will not much time for Atalanta & Roma to close the gap.

Bad form, injuries, renewal saga all making the situation worse. I hope the cloud clears soon.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Oddly enough, I feel re-jigging the midfield formation is more important than dropping Romagnoli. I'm just not comfortable with that two-man midfield thing, particularly if it's Meite partnering Kessie. It just isn't good enough. Too easy for the opposition to bypass.

Yes, Romagnoli is bad, but much more important, sort the midfield. Switch to a 3 man midfield even if you don't want to try a 3 man defense.

·
Scudetto
23,583 Posts
Lukaku unstoppable again.

Similar goal to the one Romagnoli conceded last week.. Except this time Zapata tried to force him to his right but it didn't matter.. He shot and scored anyway.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Bennacer constant absence is the biggest reason for our bad form imo. He looked on the verge of a return during the winter market so we didn't spend a lot in a replacement, but then got hurt again. Shit happens.

·
Registered
24,497 Posts
I understand your point. But isn't it basic/standard that teams go into the season having trained for, and understand, at least two alternate systems? Only a foolish coach will go into the season thinking he doesn't need to train his players for other formations other than the one single system he intended using. I'd be surprised if that's the case for Milan.
Few coaches set up their training for playing with both a back three and a back four. It's more common to prepare for different tactical set-ups further up the field.

Graham Potter of Brighton is one of the few coaches (the only one I can think of) that I know of who regularly goes back and forth between playing with a back three and a back four during the season.

Reactions: Firdaus

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Zlatan ffs 😡 How couldn’t he score from one of those two huge chances, and then incredibly not stay onside on our third huge chance?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Promising start so far. I was expecting a better Roma than this, honestly.

We are playing with hunger and confidence. Something that has been sorely lacking of late.

·
Nun c'è Problema!
3,224 Posts
Don't worry you will win this, it looks like you are playing against amateurs (I don't believe in jinxing).

221 - 240 of 562 Posts