Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EXCLUSIVE Boksic commits to Boro after Spurs snub

Monday 21st January 2002

Croatia striker Alen Boksic has confirmed that Middlesbrough turned down an offer for him from Tottenham Hotspur.

"I've just found out that they made a bid for me, but Boro wouldn't let me go," he told onefootball.com.

"That's fine by me though," Boksic insisted. "I've got nothing against that decision because I am happy at Middlesbrough. I want to stay and help them avoid relegation.

"I have to be ready for the World Cup. That is my main target right now and I think that I will be well prepared if I stay at Boro."

Middlesbrough are desperate to hold onto the former Lazio ace, particularly after they lost out on the signature of Uruguayan forward Diego Forlan, whose transfer to Manchester United is expected to be completed this week.

Strike duo Joseph-Desire Job and Szilard Nemeth have both disappointed since their arrival at the Riverside and Steve McClaren's team are now in serious relegation trouble after registering just five goals in ten league matches.

Meanwhile, Tottenham coach Glenn Hoddle is understood to be keen to buy a new striker as to help his side's bid for European football next season.

With Ukraine star Serhiy Rebrov set to leave White Hart Lane, and Hoddle's regular strike-pair of Les Ferdinand and Teddy Sheringham having a combined age of 70, the Spurs boss was hoping that Boksic would give him more options in attack.

Boksic turned 32 on Monday, but insisted that there were no mad celebrations.

"I'm not that type of guy," smiled the veteran forward. "I had two training sessions, then rested a little. Then I had a light dinner and went to bed. There were no crazy parties of anything."

The former Marseille star is currently sidelined though injury, and he admitted that he is unlikely to be fit in time to face Manchester United in the FA Cup on Saturday.

"My left leg is better and I think I will join up with the squad again later this week," he continued. "We have the game against United then a league match on Tuesday against Sunderland.

"At the moment I'd say that I have a good chance of playing in the second match."

·
©
7,230 Posts
I also heard that Lazio are interested in him again. Has anybody else heard about this? It was posted on tribalfootball.com yesterday but has since been taken down!! :eek:

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
As long as he's healthy and still playing it's good, but I don't see why he'd want to go back and play for their ultras considering.....

you know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
he should, but its on day to day basis now... they will check him on friday and decide

1 - 6 of 6 Posts