Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carlos will be the 6th US national player to join the EPL. As He gained his work visa to Join Fulham of the EPL. As it stands now most of the US national team playes abroad, So I guess that if US Footie fans will have to switch to satalite to watch thier National team players play. The MLS may soon be a reserve squad to European teams. While we will watch old Europeans and young players before they move on to Europe here in the US.
Is this Good for the MLS or not? Granted we make money by selling players yet who will want to come and watch the MLS games without the big names from our own National team?

Bocanegra signs with Fulham
(Jan. 8, 2004) -- U.S. international defender Carlos Bocanegra has been granted a work permit by England's Home Office, clearing the way for him to sign with Fulham of the English Premier League.
"It's been a long road and it's finally coming to an end," said Bocanegra. "There's been a lot of waiting and hoping, and now I'm just relieved that I know where I'm going. The English Premier League has been my favorite to watch since I was in high school. Fulham is a great club, and [Manager] Chris Coleman seems like a great guy. I'm confident that I can compete at this level, and I think it's going to be a great challenge."

The 24-year old had his finest year of his career with the National Team in 2003 as he became the first U.S. defender since 1994 to score four goals in one year. Getting his first international goal against Canada on Jan. 18 in Ft. Lauderdale, he went on to score the USA's lone goal against Brazil in the 2-1 semifinal loss in the CONCACAF Gold Cup. On the domestic front, he anchored the Chicago Fire backline to their third appearance in the MLS Cup final in five years.

Bocanegra, a two-time MLS Defender of the Year, already has collected four domestic trophies in his young career, including three Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup titles. And he knows that his journey to England couldn't have begun without the road traveled through MLS.

"MLS has been a huge part of my development as a player," said Bocanegra, who for his career has 20 caps and 4 goals. "I couldn't have achieved the level of success with the U.S. National team without my years with the Chicago Fire. I'm going to miss my teammates."

While he was exploring opportunities from clubs in several countries, Bocanegra thinks the move overseas will be made a lot easier by heading to England.

"London is a pretty sweet place. The British culture is very similar to the U.S., so it should be an easy transition."

And like another young U.S. international who just made the jump to England - Tim Howard - Bocanegra will be fortunate to have an experienced U.S. veteran living right around the corner in Tottenham Spurs goalkeeper Kasey Keller.

"I'm sure I'll be talking to him," Bocangra said of his teammate during the 2003 CONCACAF Gold Cup. "Kasey has always been very cool with me, willing to talk about anything whenever I've needed advice. And he sent the best Christmas card I have ever seen."

Bocanegra will become the sixth U.S. international currently competing in England's top division, joining U.S. captain Claudio Reyna, Brad Friedel, Howard, Keller and Jovan Kirovski. Fulham, the former club of midfielder Eddie Lewis and Marcus Hahnemann, currently sit seventh in the the EPL table.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its a done deal Carlos signs a 3 year deal with Fulham. My question is What is the MLS getting for him?

IT'S OFFICIAL: U.S. defender Carlos Bocanegra put pen to paper on a three-year contract with Fulham of the English Premier League, clearing the way for the 24-year old to be in uniform when the sixth-place Cottagers clash with Newcastle on Jan. 19. Manager Chris Coleman said to the Fulham website: "'I have seen Carlos play and I could see that he has great potential. He reads the game well and is very skillful and strong which are the prime attributes of a defender. He has a great track record at the International level, so I have no doubt that he will acclimate to the Premiership fairly quickly. I am looking forward to him joining us." The 24-year Chicago Fire veteran had his finest year of his career with the MNT in 2003, earning Chevrolet Man of the Match honors three times as he became the first U.S. defender since 1994 to score four goals in one year. He is a finalist for the 2003 Chevrolet Athlete of the Year award to be announced Thursday in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome septic to this forum. Hope to see more of you around here .

Bloody shame that. The MLS must find a way to keep a US Natl team players on the books and playing in the US. If they want to leave for greener pasture then let them but at least get something out of it.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks as though Carlos may be incuded in the side that will take on Newcastle united on Monday.

Fulham (from): Van der Sar, Djetou, Knight, Green, Volz, Goma, Bocanegra, Legwinski, Malbranque, Davis, Petta, Inamoto, Saha, Boa Morte, Clark, Crossley, Sava, Hayles, Pratley, Hudson.

Fulham have listed him as available and may be included in the side.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
you see that nasty tackle that broke that guys leg

wow that was a nasty slide

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bocanegro played today in the FA cup and had a great game. Probably had one of the best chances to score. He keeps this up they wont be able to get him out of the side. His Passing and vision is tremendous.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
PAULMAY said:
Bocanegro played today in the FA cup and had a great game. Probably had one of the best chances to score. He keeps this up they wont be able to get him out of the side. His Passing and vision is tremendous.

I like him at fullback , though. ;) His natural spot. A good game today

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jonny Knoxville said:
I like him at fullback , though. ;) His natural spot. A good game today
Yah he looked good on the left side, and managed to make some great runs down the flank.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
His first debute was nothing spectacular but I dont think he played poorly, Fulham have always played in at left back but here in the MLS as well as the US Natl team he plays in the Mid field. A place that he seemed to get lost in. As a youth he was always a defender.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
yeh in the FA Cup game he had the rip from the left side i thought it was gonna go in goalie made a nice save he played great

1 - 12 of 12 Posts