Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
30,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:

It is his name, Tomas Omer would sell wonders.

Only one poem of him ever translated to portuguese (in brazil), saw some in english, but most people posted already saying "not a good translation", which kind off kick the will to like the poem. But I guess a poet is better than Bob Dylan or Umberto Eco.

·
Administrator
24,855 Posts
i loved it, outside the box, and deserved, for a great poet, and someone who has had such a strong impact not only in american culture but worldwide too for several decades, it would only have been better if it were to L Cohen but maybe next time;)

·
Registered
30,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He got it because he's an old white straight anglo-saxon male, carriyng a fallic symbol in the form of a guitar (with only two small minus points for Jew / pot use).

·
Administrator
29,796 Posts
Which must imply they are out of poets.

Anyways, Bob Dylan is a great talent. Do not be silly to think this imply any song writer of no talent will be winning the prize so soon. My guess is that the whole "Insular" silliness is bitting their literal proverbial asses. The pressure for an american name got bigger, they must be out of marginal languages, etc.

So what they do? They pick a rock and roll writer, which is the american culture that has dialogue with most of the world and in a way, still a marginalized option (not because he is hippie but because it is poetry not novel or romances or prose).

The reaction of americans is hilarious. They are taking this as a backhand offense to Roth, Pynchon and cia.

I wish they were more daring and could give to a comic book writer, but imagine the chaos.

Anyways, let's be clear, his lyrics can be read without the musical part and they are well written. It is literature. It is however just an attempt to suck his pop appeal from the academy.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
For 15 years now I've been nominating the CMs and Admins of Xtratime. And each and every year they snub me. If any of those Nobel committe schmucks ever sign up at XT, I'm going to ban them on the spot!

·
Administrator
24,855 Posts
im happy with the choice, still would prefer leonard cohen but boyo......i think we should start lobbying u for next years yes, maybe ozzie, nacka, frikki and the other swedish can help:D

·
Administrator
29,796 Posts
If "folk pop lyrics", "political autobiography" counts, then so should forum posting. It would be a nice tribute to a dying genre.
Churchil won because his oratory, beware :D

Plus, I blame Nacka for not promoting XT enough.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
If "folk pop lyrics", "political autobiography" counts, then so should forum posting. It would be a nice tribute to a dying genre.
We have kept the peace between Serbs and Croats, Greeks and Macedonians, Turks and Arabs, Finns and Russians and Argies and Brazucas!

We've done more in the name of the peace than all agencies of the UN combined. And we've achieved more! Whereas the UN still to this day refers to Macedonia as FYROM, we at XT are proud to call it Macedonia. And in return the Macedonians are not allowed to display the Star of Vergina. That's how you keep the peace. @United Nations and @Nobel Peace Prize Committee are you paying attention?!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts