Xtratime Community banner

Will we win the league this year?

• Yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Never, we woke up too late.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • We´ll lose it by some points in the end.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the rest of the season, we won't have nearly as much fixture congestion as teams like Liverpool and Chelsea, and so technically with a full squad we should able to get three points in every game. Ruud and Saha are both on fire, whilst Rooney's performance in the CC final is perhaps a sign that his dip in form is ending. Ronaldo is currently on a goalscoring streak for both club and country...so overall things are looking bright in the attacking department. At the back, Brown and Rio seem to be forming a formidable partnership, whilst Neville is usually quite consistent. The central midfield is obviously a concern, but we've ground out the results against several teams so far this season with a very poor midfield.

Manchester United
Looking at our fixtures, the toughest ones should be:

Bolton(A): Bolton will away will be a very tough game for us, because they have been quite impressive at home so far this season. Giannakopoulos has been in impressive form so far this season, whilst Kevin Nolan is quickly establishing himself as one of the best midfielders in the Premiership. The key to beating Bolton is being able to handle their packed midfield - if we manage to create chances, I'm confident we'll score.

Arsenal(H): Arsenal games are always going to be difficult primarily because of the pressure and media exposure. They've been very poor on the road this season, which is a plus point for us - but they have a trump card in Henry. They will try and play a quick, counter-attacking game so we'll need to be alert at the back and we'll need to have one CM sitting deep when the team attacks in order to help snuff any counterattacks that Arsenal may launch. Their defence hasn't been the strongest this season, and so with enough pressure they are likely to crack.

Spurs(A): Spurs have been very impressive this season, and having the home advantage they will probably play for all three points. They have some very good players e.g. Davids, Jenas, King and Carrick...their midfield in particular might be quite difficult to handle...but we have sufficient quality in our attack to grab a win.

Chelsea(A): If all goes well, the Chelsea game could be a crucial one....most probably we might only have our pride at stake. Playing at Stamford Bridge will probably mean that it will be a very tough challenge to get more than a draw - but it's possible.

Supposing that we go on an unbeaten run till the end of the season, not only will it give us a chance of actually winnign the title if Chelsea slip up, but it will help to deflect a lot of criticism from the team as well as give them more confidence for next season. Of course, it will also be vital for ensuring that Liverpool don't finish second.

Alright, so if I'm optimistic enough to believe that we win all our remaining fixtures, then I'll add in a bit more optimism and say that Chelsea might just drop 12 points in their remaining fixtures.
Of course, the odds of this are probably miniscule - but we can dream! Dropping 12 points would entail either: losing 4 games, drawing 6 games, losing 3 & drawing 2, losing 2 & drawing 3, or losing 1 & drawing 5.

Chelsea
Here are the games I feel Chelsea are most likely to drop points in, if at all they do (chances are they probably won't):

Tottenham(H): Having the home advantage in this London derby, Chelsea will probably be favourites. But I think Tottenham are very capable of at least coming away with a draw.

Fulham(A): With their almost impeccable home record, Chelsea are mostly likely to drop points on the road. Fulham have had their problems this season, but I think the likes of Malbranque and Boa Morte are very capable of frustrating Chelsea.

Man City(H): City have beaten them once before, and I have to admit that they have made a massive improvement this season. Despite losing SWP to Chelsea, City still have some very talented players in their squad and could pull off a surprise victory at Stamford Bridge. Would be ironic if our arch rivals would hand us a boost in our (now dormant) title hopes.

Bolton(A): I think playing Bolton away is a tough task for any team in the league, and I wouldn't put it past Bolton to cause an upset.

Blackburn(A): Blackburn look to be turning it on in the second half of this season, and having cost us six points perhaps they could give Chelsea a run for their roubles.

Manchester United(H): If Chelsea somehow manage to slip up in the games preceding this clash, it would tip the morale scale in our favour and I have faith in our lads to turn in a memorable display at Stamford Bridge.

That's six relatively tough games that Chelsea have (although in reality, four of those will probably be a breeze for them). In my heart of hearts, I'm hoping that Chelsea will lose 2 of those games (Bolton, Man Utd) and tie 3 (Spurs, City, Blackburn) - football's a strange thing, so it might not be such a distant possibility. :sweeteye:

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I share the same optimism. In fact, I got a funny feeling west brom might just nick a draw tonight. I certainly hope they do!

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
if chelsea don't lose one of the next 3 games which are brom, spurs and fulham, then the race is over. If they drop 3 points then it's not.

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
they won't lose to Spurs, we haven't beaten them in the league for like 15 years.

Out of them 3, I'd put my money on Fulham doing it. They got to potential to score against anyone but it'll more up to their defence as to whether they'll be able to hold them back.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Don't even think about that this season. Get our hopes up for nothing then get shattered when we don't catch Chelsea. Concentrate on next season where we will hopefully have a good enough squad to challenge the team in blue.

The best thing to concentrate on in these last few games is the quality and improvement of specific players. For example, Rooney and Ronaldo. They are our hope for years to come. It is important for them to be getting goals and putting in world-class performances so we can have even better players the following seasons.

We need to build as a unit, even when all hopes are lost (as they are now) Improvement is the key.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
ListenUpFergie said:
For the rest of the season, we won't have nearly as much fixture congestion as teams like Liverpool and Chelsea, and so technically with a full squad we should able to get three points in every game. Ruud and Saha are both on fire, whilst Rooney's performance in the CC final is perhaps a sign that his dip in form is ending. Ronaldo is currently on a goalscoring streak for both club and country...so overall things are looking bright in the attacking department. At the back, Brown and Rio seem to be forming a formidable partnership, whilst Neville is usually quite consistent. The central midfield is obviously a concern, but we've ground out the results against several teams so far this season with a very poor midfield.

Manchester United
Looking at our fixtures, the toughest ones should be:

Bolton(A): Bolton will away will be a very tough game for us, because they have been quite impressive at home so far this season. Giannakopoulos has been in impressive form so far this season, whilst Kevin Nolan is quickly establishing himself as one of the best midfielders in the Premiership. The key to beating Bolton is being able to handle their packed midfield - if we manage to create chances, I'm confident we'll score.
Had to laugh at that.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Kevin Nolan is one of the best midfielders in the EPL, it's nothing to laugh about, give the man some credit.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
_lauren_ said:
Ive said all along the race isn't over and to have faith.
Let's just see what happens!
you are rivalling El Fen for your uber-optimism here girl. :shades:

do you believe in tooth fairies as well? :pp

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
no, we fuk'd that with oiur horrible February, when i said that there was a real chance.

if we play our proper football there is still not a team in the country than can get near us though. ;)

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
if we play our proper football there is still not a team in the country than can get near us though. ;)
We play better football than Arsenal now with the emergence of Rooney, Ronaldo and the addition of Ji Sung Park. :thumbsup:

Arsenal will never get back to the mad football they used to play back in 2004.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Red Bed said:
We play better football than Arsenal now with the emergence of Rooney, Ronaldo and the addition of Ji Sung Park. :thumbsup:

Arsenal will never get back to the mad football they used to play back in 2004.
Wouldnt be so sure about that yatta

1 - 20 of 76 Posts