Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Platini: FIFA plan on quotas 'completely illegal'

MOSCOW, May 20 (Reuters) - FIFA President Sepp Blatter will meet his UEFA counterpart Michel Platini on Wednesday in an attempt to settle their differences over Blatter's controversial plan for limits on overseas players.

Blatter has insisted for months that he would ask the FIFA Congress in Sydney at the end of this month to endorse the so-called '6+5 ruling' allowing club teams to start a match with no more than five foreign players.

However, the European Union has warned the rule proposed by world soccer's governing body would conflict with its own laws on the free movement of labour, risking court action.

A UEFA source told Reuters on Tuesday that Blatter would still present the idea to FIFA's 208 members in Sydney but will now ask them merely for a mandate to examine the idea further.

'This is not the same as asking Congress to impose the ruling,' the source said.

'...it will be something of a climbdown because he will just ask them for a mandate and he will not ask Congress to agree to implement the quota system with a start date from 2010.'

FIFA declined to comment on its position, which has been unchanged since its Congress in Zurich a year ago approved examining the idea.

Last November, FIFA's executive committee in Durban voted to put the proposal before the Congress in Sydney.

Despite opposition in some quarters to the plan, Blatter has not changed his stance on the issue.

Earlier this month, he told Reuters in an interview: 'Congress will receive a concrete proposal to start the quotas from 2010 with at least four national players on the pitch, going up to five players in 2011 and the full six by 2012.

'I will also ask the Congress for a mandate to take the issue up with the other main political and sporting bodies.'

Platini told a news conference after a two-day UEFA Executive Committee meeting here that European soccer's ruling body agreed with the quotas proposal in principle.

'The objectives are very good, and I have said that many times,' he told reporters.

'However, they are completely illegal under EU legislation. I will be having a meeting with Mr Blatter tomorrow before the Champions League final about how he intends to deal with this matter at the FIFA Congress at the end of the month.'

The '6+5 ruling', as well as risking alienating UEFA, was dealt a blow on May 8 when the European Parliament voted against the proposals.

EU lawmakers rejected the plan by 518 votes to 49 but most backed UEFA's 'home-grown player rule', which sets a quota of locally-trained players at clubs but without discrimination on nationality.

UEFA wants a deal with Brussels on that rule but FIFA opposes the idea, arguing it would encourage the recruitment of players at a young age.

To change FIFA's rules Blatter needs 75 percent support at the Congress in Sydney, where each of FIFA's 208 national member associations who are eligible have one vote each.

link: Platini: FIFA plan on quotas 'completely illegal'
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sepp Blatter is wrong here and don't know why he is sticking to the archaic idea of nationality.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
We had a similar topic not long ago. Anyway, this plan is de facto impossible. Football players, as soon as they are professionals, come under working permit laws. You can restrict the working permits per club for non-EU nationals, but you cannot stop the freedom of movement between EU states. Nobody can legally stop a EU based club to field 11 foreign players as long as they are all EU citizens. FIFA does not stand above European law.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
I also wonder how this would apply to non European leagues that already have foreigner limits in place. There are some that do not allow for more than three or four foreigners in the match squad. Would they have to modify their rules to allow for five, or could they decide on any limit as long as it is five or less?

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Overseas is some sort of new fantasy country involving Brazil and Argentina, I'm officialy an Overswatzilander? it's some sort of attemp to make easier to call overhype our players?

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Air miles?
Nah, I think it is for Hotel vouchers. :pp

I wish the south american leagues would get their shit together. That way they would be able to get multimillion dollar TV contracts like UEFA and keep their talents at home. This foreigner stuff is retarded. It is so anti-football. Who cares what country players come from as long as they're the best at what they do. Leave the nationalistic stuff out of club football and leave it to international tournaments.

·
Registered
17,197 Posts
The 6+5 nationality rule is not possible, but what would you think of a locally-trained rule (not necessarily 6+5)? It seems almost too farfetched to me because most top teams don't have a very large number of these. A large restriction would make a huge difference in every league, unless the top clubs scout really early.

·
Administrator
30,813 Posts
Overseas is some sort of new fantasy country involving Brazil and Argentina, I'm officialy an Overswatzilander? it's some sort of attemp to make easier to call overhype our players?
Considering how they think the World is still like the old greeks used to think, I am surprised they do not consider us "over-galaxy" and this idea only applies to players who have to cross the Meditarreneo to play.

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
It's his ridicolous idea to stop leagues from becoming full of foreigners that play more than home -grown players. The only league that suffers in that respect is England as they have limited coaching skills & understanding at grassroots level compared other EU countries. At the same stage if a country like Switzerland or Ireland have something like that imposed then you'd restrict the possibility of their players going to a better league, hence stopping the players improve, hence stopping their national teams improve. Clearly Blatter hasn't thought this through. Improving the grassroots is the only way forward.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Blatter is retarded, what's the point to even discuss it if EU will never allow it to pass?
Exactly. There is no need to even discuss this, it simply won't happen. But guess a nice chit-chat and being paid for it isn't that bad of an idea for the guys in FIFA... If only they used their time for thinking of rational ways to reach their goals.

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
I wish notions like this were decided by a court where if defeated the person proposing the measure is hit around the face with a giant kipper

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
What a bunch of communist idiots. We need to go back to the no more than 3 foreigners on the field rule. Since that has been gone, soccer changed to a business where Brazil and Argentina hype their players and stupid Euro teams buy them to then find out that their local players were far superior to them.

Truth hurts, I know. :yuck:

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
sshh. communism = bad people.

·
Major
1,342 Posts
Nah, I think it is for Hotel vouchers. :pp

I wish the south american leagues would get their shit together. That way they would be able to get multimillion dollar TV contracts like UEFA and keep their talents at home. This foreigner stuff is retarded. It is so anti-football. Who cares what country players come from as long as they're the best at what they do. Leave the nationalistic stuff out of club football and leave it to international tournaments.
typical arsenal stuff... but iagree

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
At Arsenal in the next few years it be full of English players.

Walcott
Gibbs
Wilkshire
Randall
Lansbury

Left any players out

1 - 20 of 56 Posts