Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parma’s Manuele Blasi could return to Juventus this month if he is given a short doping ban.

The 23-year-old (pictured) is set to be sentenced on Friday after he tested positive for nandrolone earlier this season.

If Blasi, who joined the Tardini outfit on loan last summer, gets a ban of around four months then he may be recalled by the Bianconeri.

That is because the former Perugia player has been out of action since 18 October 2003 which means he has served close to three months already.

The other two nandrolone cases this season have resulted in an eight month ban for Inter’s Mohamed Kallon. While Perugia’s Al Saadi Ghaddafi was handed a three month stop.

Juve would want Blasi back at Coach Marcello Lippi’s disposal after they waved goodbye to Edgar Davids this week.

The Dutchman, who only had six months left on his contract, has joined Barcelona on loan for the rest of the season.

Meanwhile, the Turin based ‘Tuttosport’ newspaper claims that the Italian champions are set to raid Parma over the next few months.

The Gialloblu are in real financial difficulties and Juventus are keen on a number of their young stars.

Daniele Bonera, Matteo Ferrari, Mark Bresciano and Alberto Gilardino are all believed to be on the Bianconeri wish list.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
If Blasi does return to action, why on earth would Parma let him go before the summer?

Unless there is some clause in the loan agreement that states that Blasi can return anytime at Juve, this is not very realistic. We need Blasi...

·
Registered
819 Posts
Ghadafi never had a game, and I don't think he was ever going to get a game (maaaybe the last 15 mins of a Coppa Italia match...)

So does his penalty really matter? He was a publicity stunt in the first place. If he doesn't know that already, I feel sorry for him.

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
I think the length of the bans are also subject to the quantity of nandrolone found in the samples. The larger the margin of excess the proportionally longer the ban.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'm actually not too keen to see 2 Tacchinardis in midfield. No, Blasi's not even a plug-gap, much less a solution.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Slow it down, Chinq. We should first clear up the feasibility of an early return. Which at this point and in the absence of any explanation, appears in total contradiction to the agreement Parma and Juventus have.

Ciao.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Steph! said:
Besides agreeing with Amo, why in hell was Al Saadi Ghaddafi handed only 3 months while Kallon got 8?

:confused:
i think because he admitted having the drug in his body which was caused by a treatement for his back pain, as he claims.

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
As for Blasi, the feasibility of obtaining him at this point in the season is indeed minimal, considering the contractual restraints impeding his return. But i for one, would not object bringing him back to Juve now. We do have a vacancy open with Davids' departure to Barca (sniff sniff), and i think Blasi would be a good squad player for us at the moment. I don't think Lippi is entertaining any ideas of playing him alongside Tacchinardi, and lest we forget Blasi would still be at the bottom of the pecking order for CM places at Juve. Behind Appiah, Maresca and Conte.

Although, i think perhaps trying to bring back Brighi would be more fruitful.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
I'm not too keen to see Tacchi and Blasi together in midfield either. That said- Davids was never the same kind of player Tacchi is, and while Blasi will never be in the same class Davids is- he is more akin to the Dutchman in terms of what he does.

Knowing Lippi... it unfortunately makes sense for us to take Blasi back (Tacchi, Conte and Blasi behind Nedved anyone?), but in relation to what Amo said- Blasi may be given 'only' a 3 or 4 month ban because his suspension will act like a de facto ban, and as he has already been out for 3- 3½ months it will propably measure up to about the 8 months Kallon got in total.

Seing how Blasi would most likely return to Juve next season anyway- it makes sense to have him train with the team he's going to play with, given that he won't be (hypothetically) eleglible to play competitive matches until the last month of the campionato or thereabout. So- that makes sense for Parma as well as he won't be matchfit for them either, and they'll save money on his wages.

Other than that- I believe Nero is right with regards to the quantities, but I have heard nothing about Blasi having a substantially higher or lower amount of nandrolon in his samples than for instance Kallon did.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Nero: I honestly believe that calling him back now would yield neither party nothing concrete really. Being last choice in the pecking order behind Alessio, Maresca, Appiah and Conte. We all thought Conte was dead and burried long ago but against all odds, he really looks like he's back in town with a fierce appetite.

There's simply no room for Blasi at the moment. I'd preach otherwise had Blasi been a finished article. Well he's not. He still needs to improve which only regular playing can enable. He'd only come in handy should another outbreak hit Sisport ahead of a critical period. Which God forbid isn't to occur in a near future.

Roby: Why be so goddamn politically correct? ;) Repeat: Daddy Ghaddafi wouldn't like his son to be treated as a pariah in Italy, that's it.

Ciao.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Glen said:
Blasi may be given 'only' a 3 or 4 month ban because his suspension will act like a de facto ban, and as he has already been out for 3- 3½ months it will propably measure up to about the 8 months Kallon got in total.
(...) given that he won't be (hypothetically) eleglible to play competitive matches until the last month of the campionato or thereabout.
I may have interpreted the article wrong Glen, but I believe Blasi would be eligible to play as soon as February should he be sentenced to a three-months ban. Much like some newly convicts get to be freed immediately after being convicted as they've already served their short sentence in jail before their trial took place.

Ciao.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Steph is right Glen. We're talking about the case Blasi receives a 4-month ban in the first place, not a 4-month ban in addition to the already served, though unofficially, "sentence".

I have to say I'm not very keen on Blasi returning though. 4 months is way too few. I don't like cheats on my team, even if they are quite good defencive midfielders.

PS. Conte is a legend and all and Lippi loves him, but... Blasi whips the floor with him. Just because Conte got some games due to the Davids hoolala it doesn't mean he is not past it. He is VERY similar to Tacchinardi though.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Steph: That is another possibility. One I did not address. But since the ruling has not taken place we cannot know.

In case it is like the article suggest- then of course, given Parma's midfield shortage, it would make more sense for them to retain him.

And as for similarities to who and who not.

When I say Blasi is more akin to Davids, it's only in the defensive sense. Davids has an offensive/skill side Blasi could never dream of. In that respect he's similar to Tacchi. However- I see none of the anchoring qualities Tacchi posess in Blasi. Blasi to me is a gritty ballwinner and nothing else. I simply don't think he's Juve quality, but that's a feeling I've had about many Juve purchases over the years, and some of them have shown to be much better than anticpated.

As for the cheats thing... I simply hate the uncertainties engulfing the whole nandrolon business.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
But he's not supposed to be a Davids, he's supposed to be a Tacchinardi. A player that sits in front of the defence, wins the ball and gives it to the teammate closer to him. And he'll be just as good as Tacchinardi once he becomes 28 or something. How good was Tacchinardi at 23?

As for the doping thing... it's hardly a secret that Juventus (and possibly other teams) is stuffing their players up with all kind of drugs. Hopefully the court case of Agricula (spelling?) and Giraudo will prove that...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts