Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once I was watching Argentinian coach Carlos Bilardo explaining how in the highest levels of football it is better to have a terrible striker over a terrible Central Defender.

The logic behind this was that IF a striker commits a mistake the opponet would have to organized an attack and defeat other players just to score a goal, but If a defender made a mistake on the last line, it was almost certainly a goal.

I remember The great Laurent Blanc with us, in his last year turtles would fly by him like Ferraris, It was so bad we bench him in favour of Matrix :D . Man utd came to the rescue however a year later Blanc had to retired.

Fernando Hierro another legendary defender, who had the respect of everyone on the field, but last season it looked like Aunt Jamima could dribble past him, and Real failed to win the CL, he was abruptly cut by Florentino.

Paolo Montero, Well Roma And Inter made juve look like.... Inter and it´s no surprise that Montero had some credit in all of this, Once a great defender, his mistake are making one of the best attacks in Italy worthless.

Fabio Cannavaro, His last good season was when both Buffon and Thuram played with him right now he looks like an Impersonator of Kramer from Seinfeld, just a clumsy defender, who falls, commits Penalties to players or punches the ball.

He might be Italy´s captain but it seems that the one should had retired is him and not Maldini.

With the imminent sale of Materazzi, Why not also get rid of Kramervaro (Apologies to micheal richards at least you are funny), we should get Mexes and someone else.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
how much would mexes cost us?

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Cannavaro's still good at man-marking, he's just not Bergomi or Baresi or Nesta. Inter needs to up their Rolex budget though because Canna is only looking like Kramer because some of the stuff that all defenders do is being whistled when he does it.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
yes... (and Inter too but I suppose you knew that)

as given a man-marking assignment, he's world class. He's not that good at organising the defence though and he's always been prepared to do the little dirty things except now there are penalties blown against him for some more innocuos "fouls".

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I believe Cannavaro is made to look better than he actually is in the National Team as he is playing alongside Nesta who is a special defender. At club level Cordoba, Adani and Matrix do not provide the security that Nesta provides in the National Team. Cannavaro has been nothing but a hazard since he arrived. I believed Inter had acquired a world class defender but some of his defending in his first Champions league campaign was simply woeful. The honest truth of the matter is that the only time when Inter's defence looks secure and plays with confidence is when Materazzi is in th lineup. When Zac first arrived and Materazzi was playing the team kept a number of clean sheets. When Materazzi was injured Inter's defence started leaking goals. Cannavaro should be shown the door. The loss of precious points as a result of silly individual mistakes is costing the team.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Politician said:
. Inter needs to up their Rolex budget though because Canna is only looking like Kramer because some of the stuff that all defenders do is being whistled when he does it.
Heard that you many need some presidency status to go with the Rolexes. that will give you optimal effect.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
I agree with Senna01, although I am not sure that only Nesta's presense allows Cannavaro to play well in the Italian NT. If I was Inter's coach and had to choose between Cannavaro and Materazzi, I would choose the latter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts