Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right first off, cutting out all the B.S. - this is the best band I've heard in ages. More specifically the best I've heard since At The Drive-In. Their albums just been released in the UK so I just got hold of it yesterday and let me tell you - it really is seriously great sutff.

Anyway a lot of the music press are raving about these guys, and putting them in the same group as the White Stripes , The Strokes etc. Let me say that I think they're better than both, YES better than the god damn Strokes !!! (I like them but there's too much hype :) )

EVERY ALT ROCK FAN ON THIS FORUM - do yourself a favour and download "Whatever Happened to My Rock N Roll" - just a sensationally good punk tinged rock n roll song.

Basically these guys sound to me a bit like the Ston Roses (who are apparently a big influence). The main influence is apparently The Jesus and Mary Chain, who I'm not too familiar with. Anyone on this forum with a knowledge of them please enlighten me.

Other choice songs on this amazing album :

"Love Burns", "Awake", "White Palms".

Just a warning though - these guys are alternative with a capital "A" , and there's a HUGE British influence even though they're American.

Anyway haven't been this excited about a band since At the Drive- In and Queens of the Stone Age, so just thought I'd tell you dudes about them. Check them out

;)

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Any band that contains former members of The Brian Jonestown Massacre (as BRMC does), is OK by me. As for the Jesus and Mary Chain, their first album, Psychocandy, is their best, as when it came out in '86, it was pretty damn near unlike anything else people had heard (well, those that had never heard Suicide or Pet Sounds or Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music, that is ;) , all there other stuff is kind of a derivative Dream Syndicate-meets-the Pixies type of claptrap (although the duet they had with Hope Sandoval was all right).
RIO

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
They have been getting some airplay on MTV2, but they are not too popular here in the States.

I like them, but I don't think they are as great as At the Drive In.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Also the drummer in Jesus and Mary Chain was Bobby Gillespie. Now at Primal Scream and one of the coolest guys ever :cool:

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Yesterday I was in a CD-shop doubting betwee the new Tool-cd (ok not that new) or the latest from Girls against Boys when they started playing B.R.M.C very loud. I was lost and bought it :rolleyes:. Whatever happened... is one stormy rocksong.

BTW anyone else is madly in love with The Jezus and Mary Chain singer's girlfriend Hope Sandovall :heart: :D ;)

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Btw, does anyone know about Sparta, the group some At the Drive In members formed? I have yet to hear any of their songs, and I don't even know if they have made a CD yet. But they are supposed to make some appearances on the Enlightenment Tour with Weezer, Dashboard Confessional, and the Strokes.

·
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
2,968 Posts
Time to revive this thread :D !
Their new album is out for about 6 weeks now. I like it though i would still rate their first album over 'Take them on...'.
Can't wait to see them live - last year, i missed their gig in Hamburg ( they played in a very small club, must have been interesting.. ) but they will be here again on Nov. 25.
Anyone here who has seen them live ?? How are they as live act ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hmm yes, great band, you've got great taste Red ;)
But I don't think they're better than the Strokes or something, they're just solid good.

Favourites:
Too real
Rifles
Salvation
Awake
Suddenly

well, many more :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
From what I've heard I wouldn't be a big fan, but I don;t realy listen to them much.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
BRMC is allright, but listen to the song "Interzone" by Joy Division (it's on Unknown Pleasures). That song is everything BRMC ever wanted to sound like and more. In practice that song renders them useless.

Still they're a decent band.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
That's you're opinion, it's not fact

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Mise_Me_Fein said:
That's you're opinion, it's not fact
No it's actually scientificly proven. Several independant tests have shown that the song Interzone has a higher degree of BRMC (1.81 Nf/s) then BRMC themselves (0.52 Nf/s).
The same tests also point out that Interzone has a half-life of around 80 years, while the avarage BRMC song only has an half-life of three weeks.

Plus an interview with Ian Curtis tomb would make for a more lively chat then an interview with the complete setup of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
enola said:
No it's actually scientificly proven. Several independant tests have shown that the song Interzone has a higher degree of BRMC (1.81 Nf/s) then BRMC themselves (0.52 Nf/s).
The same tests also point out that Interzone has a half-life of around 80 years, while the avarage BRMC song only has an half-life of three weeks.

Plus an interview with Ian Curtis tomb would make for a more lively chat then an interview with the complete setup of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.
:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts