Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As you all know, Luis Suarez has been banned for 4 months and 9 international matches in total for biting Chiellini's shoulder. FIFA have taken a no nonsense stance and the BBC must be feeling extremely proud of themselves having played a significant role in accentuating the issue.

Last night Carlos Zuniga made a ridiculous challenge on Neymar where in a false attempt to go for the ball, he kicked the back of Neymar, breaking his back, fracturing a vertebrae in his spine and ruling Neymar out of the World Cup.

Should FIFA take action or should they only act when the BBC displays open outrage?

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
There is apparently a crusade on Zuniga on Twitter and other social media outlets as we speak.

Problem is a bite is obvious offence, while it is hard to draw the line between a tackle went wrong and a malicious tackle.

·
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
42,192 Posts
Looked to me like a stupid challenge, not intentional.

4l2zw6hC38Q

·
Rookie of the Year 2007
10,003 Posts
scwheinsteger also did the same to valbuena...
Scwheiny probably didn't see Valbuena ;)

Regarding Neymar, he has done his fair share of diving and writhing on the ground like he's been hacked by a machete... When he fell to the ground from Zunigas challenge, I thought ' get up and stop time wasting'

Karma bites him in the back I suppose.

·
Rookie of the Year 2007
10,003 Posts
Looked malicious enough to me, how are you supposed to win the ball like that?
You could see he was 100% focused on the ball, it's not like he took a quick glance at Neymar and then intentionally kneed him in the back.

·
1st Tier Poster
47,984 Posts
It was a quite innocent situation which any of us has seen occurring hundreds of times during matches. Only the result is absurd.

I made a joke in the bar that he broke his spine and people laughed because it looked such an innocent contact and everybody just thought he's playacting as usual. But lol he did really break it.

·
1st Tier Poster
47,984 Posts
looking at the replay, Neymar was just plain unlucky here to land on the ground in such an angle...it was not the contact with Zuniga which fractured the vertebrae but landing on his side on such an angle (which concentrated the impact force on the small contact area between his hip and the ground and put more pressure on his spine)

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I would rather have my back or leg broken than be bit or spat upon. Biting and spitting is for women, breaking legs and backs is for men.

·
*the drum drum*
42,491 Posts
It was painful and you could see it from the outset, it was unnecessary, but it wasn't utterly and purposefully malicious. It was the way the match had been from minute 1 to 95.

Really sorry for Neymar, he really does convey joy in football and was coming of age through the tournament.
looking at the replay, Neymar was just plain unlucky here to land on the ground in such an angle...it was not the contact with Zuniga which fractured the vertebrae but landing on his side on such an angle (which concentrated the impact force on the small contact area between his hip and the ground and put more pressure on his spine)
No, the impact is much more telling for a spinal injury.

Source - I have a similar pair of fractures in my back.

·
1st Tier Poster
47,984 Posts
watching that vine video from a good angle: he does seem to get the knee right at the spine...quite weird really, it might've even been deliberate by Zuniga as his knee rises suspiciously high there

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
People should stop comparing Suarez bite to every single tackle that takes place.

As much as most people wanted to see Suarez continue his WC campaign, a bite is an intentional offense and that has nothing to do at all with duration of the football match.

Just as if someone in the middle of the match goes kick someone as hard in his butt, that is also an offense that needs to book the player for a ban.

If these things go without these harsh punishments, then you're in danger of normalizing them, which would be disgusting.

Just like Game over said, how could you draw the lines in tackles ??

·
Second Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
10,622 Posts
It was an accident. Stupid one maybe, since the ball wasn't high enough to warrant jumping, but it looked like both were heading for the ball and crashed when Neymar stopped in his tracks. This stuff happens dozens of times each match. Suarez fanboys can just STFU. Biting is never an accident.

·
*the drum drum*
42,491 Posts
I would rather have my back or leg broken than be bit or spat upon. Biting and spitting is for women, breaking legs and backs is for men.
May you never live to learn just how stupid a comment that was.
watching that vine video from a good angle: he does seem to get the knee right at the spine...quite weird really, it might've even been deliberate by Zuniga as his knee rises suspiciously high there
It is deliberate, but not to fracture Neymar's vertebrae.

It's a protective movement (and also for balance), same way a player will put a shoulder into the opponent when about to come into contact, a player will raise their arm for a header, or a a goalkeeper will raise a knee catching a ball etc.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts