Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who in your minds have been the biggest fairytale stories throughout the years in football?.It could be anything at all clubs being promoted,winning a trophy,making a final,coach/managers/players success stories.

Please state all your thoughts & why? I hope we can have another fun& interesting discussion here:).

·
Administrator
53,262 Posts
The first things that spring to mind for me instantly are:

Leicester City winning league title in 2016. Was in utter disbelief they went all the way with squad like that.

And 2nd mind association for this is a fairy tale I wish didnt happen because they BORED me to death (first time I rooted against an underdog), couldn't stand them. I'm talking about Greece winning Euro championship 2004.

·
1st Tier Poster
51,200 Posts
what about this Aussie club (Western Sydney?) which made it into Asian CL final? don't remember if they won or not

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
Denmark 1992, failed to qualify but left no room for doubt with wins against the favourites France, the European champions Holland, and the world champions Germany.

Uruguay, 2 times world champions and 15 Copa América titles, always producing world class players, with a population of 3,5 milion, is an eternal fairytale story.

·
Registered
47,037 Posts
Italian football had plenty of fairytales. In the past a few managed to win the scudetto or be close to win it.
I won't mention my Sampdoria because it was a club who paid extremely high wages, comparable to the ones of Berlusconi's Milan so no, it was not a fairytale.
Hellas Verona's scudetto in 1984/85 was a fairytale and so was Cagliari's scudetto in 1969/1970. Gigi Riva refusing the offers of the usual big clubs (Juve, Inter, Milan) was a fairytale in the fairytale.
Other fairytales were the 2nd position in serie A of the so called "Perugia dei miracoli" (undefeated!) in 1978/79 and the same achievement of Lanerossi Vicneza one season before.
In the last thirty seasons thanks to a "different football" in Italy we had to be happy with minor miracles such as Chievo, whose results have to be considered in relation to the history of the club, or other clubs whose presence is serie A was unpredictable thirty years ago such as Sassuolo (but there is Mapei behind them, so not really a miracle but the consequence of investments).

·
Registered
46,353 Posts
Personal level: Inter's Treble in 09/10 - Inter were favourites for Serie A but no one counted Inter as a legit challenger for the CL. For a side that was almost knocked out in the groups to become a team that knocked out the Champs from England, Spain and Germany (all of whom were gunning for Trebles) - it was definitely fairytale stuff. Still seems surreal now. Did all of that really happen? To add to that, it's like we woke up from the dream right after by appointing Benitez.

General: Definitely Leicester's league win. Vardy and Kanté have had fairytale come-ups too, from playing for nobodies to becoming internationals and household names.

On a game level, Liverpool's comeback vs Milan in the CL Final was dream-like. Everyone knows this one.

On a player level, in recent times, I'd say Salah made Egyptians and the Arab world as a whole prouder than anyone could have imagined...and Son has already done miracles for Koreans. Fairytales for these countries.

Croatia almost had a fairytale with the WC 2018 run.

Reactions: ToniSamp

·
inbred amoeba
4,114 Posts
Other fairytales were the 2nd position in serie A of the so called "Perugia dei miracoli" (undefeated!) in 1978/79
LOL, I think I remember that. They had draws in like 2/3 of their Serie A games. Good times [ :burst into tears of pride: ]

·
Registered
24,426 Posts
In European competition

Pre-bosman: IFK Gothenburg, Malmö FF, Steaua București and Red Star

Post-bosman: Rosenborg

Honorable mention: Östersunds FK (although a bit tainted by the following criminal charges against the chairman)

·
Registered
24,426 Posts
LOL, I think I remember that. They had draws in like 2/3 of their Serie A games. Good times [ :burst into tears of pride: ]
I like those kinds of bizarre outcomes. Kind of like AIK winning the Swedish league in 1998 despite scoring the least goals of any team in the league, they scored less than 1 goal/game (25 goals in 26 games to be exact).

·
Registered
46,353 Posts
I guess this qualifies? Carlisle Utd saved from relegation in the last seconds of the season by a goal from their keeper. As LCF would say, "scenes".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts