Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a change, I thought I'd try to get people discussing clubs rather than players. :D

I want to get a general feel for what the Xtratime community considers the bigger clubs out of the following choices. And I SUPPOSE giving reasons for your choice would be helpful. :rollani: :D :D

1) Uruguay's Superclubs, Penarol or Nacional

2) Manchester United or Liverpool. :D

3) Argentina's biggest rivals, River Plate or Boca Juniors

4) Celtic or Rangers

5) Milan or Juventus

6) Finally, who is generally considered to be the biggest club in Brazil? There are too many big clubs in Brazil to simply pick 2 to choose from. :D

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
This could be interesting.......how long do you think until this is closed?

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
1) Uruguay - Penarol

2) England - Liverpool

3) Argentina - Independiente

4) Scotland - Celtic

5) Italia - Milan

6) Brasil - Flamengo? Not sure on this one.

7) Spain - Real Madrid

8) Germany - Bayern

9) Holland - Ajax

Success domestically, continentally and internationally.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
El Fenómeno. said:
Nice to see you leave out Barcelona vs Real Madrid. :D

Sorry mate, couldn't resist. :D
Didn't even enter my mind. :pp ;)

I really hope it isn't closed. I mean, if people believe Club A is bigger than Club B, surely they can back up that point of view with credible reasons. I'd rather see people debating any close ones with actual reasons, rather than insulting each other.

Don't ruin my thread, peons! I don't open many, and I demand success! :D

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
ViscaBarcaInter said:
5) Milan or Juventus
Juventini, cue the accusations of bribary, Cheating, doping, blah, blah, blah.......yawn......yawn.......snore.

Haroon,

Haroon said:
5) Italia - Milan
Er, remind me of how many scudetti you've won again? :tongue:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
1) Uruguay - Penarol

2) England - Manchester United (financially), Liverpool (success) but in terms of overall greatness it's Arsenal as the other two smell :D

3) Argentina - River Plate

4) Scotland - Rangers

5) Italy - Milan

6) Brazil - It's either Flamengo or Corinthians, I forget which.

7) Spain - Barcelona ;)

8) Holland - Ajax

9) Germany - Bayern ( :yuck: )

10) Turkey - Fenerbahce

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Paris said:
Haroon,

Er, remind me of how many scudetti you've won again? :tongue:

We've won a lot less Scudetti than you but Milan is joint Number 1 in the International trophies won whereas you are 4th behind Independiente and Real.

When you look at success it has to be rounded IMO. Milan has performend equally well in International tournaments as well as domestically with regards to success. Juve got the chance but you haven't made the most of your European Champions Cup / UEFA Champions League finals. You hold the joint record for most losses with Benfica. At the same time you've made the most of the smaller competition that is the UEFA Cup. ;)

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Koeman4 said:
bigger... based in what?
JA,

You decide your own criteria and then give the list. My criteria was rounded success. You can have a different one but state it. ;)

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Koeman4 said:
bigger... based in what?
In any and all possible factors.

Money generating power
Domestic success
International success
Stadium
Fans, both in terms of size of support and spread of fans
Famous players
Financial muscle = spending power
Achievements in any field
Outside factors

Basically anything connected to a club can and indeed should be used to judge the size of that club. Every person might have a different way of deciding these things, but I like to be as thorough as possible. :D

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
1. no idea

2. Man Utd. Deep down everyone in England know that Man Utd is a great club.

3. Boca. Best supported, most passionate, more charisma.

4. Veeery close. I'd call it a tie. Celtic's the reason why Scotland gets an automatic place next season but Ranger's won more domestically.

5. Milan. Ask in South America which team is bigger. Ask in England.

6. Flamengo. Corinthians will probably overtake them soon with all their money.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Personal opinion mainly, which club a person likes more will ultimately be the main factor in their answer. Therefore this is a quite pointless thread.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Simba said:
Personal opinion mainly, which club a person likes more will ultimately be the main factor in their answer. Therefore this is a quite pointless thread.
I think it is an interesting thread. :) VBI has done a fine job in thinking of a good topic to see the views of XT members on how they see the same thing differently. ;)

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haroon said:
I think it is an interesting thread. :) VBI has done a fine job in thinking of a good topic to see the views of XT members on how they see the same thing differently. ;)
:proud:

I'd like to think that the difference between simply stating "My club is the biggest" and what I'm actually looking for is reasons.

I'm not bothered if, say, a Juve fan comes in and says "Juve are the greatest club ever!", as long as he/she can back it up with some sort of reasoning.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
1) Don't know about the league at all

2) Manchester United :tongue:

3) Boca Juniors

4) Celtic

5) Milan

6) Don't know much about the league

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Haroon said:
JA,

You decide your own criteria and then give the list. My criteria was rounded success. You can have a different one but state it. ;)
Well, if you consider the amount of titles, it's easy, there is not discussion, because you only have to count them and you'll see who is bigger in that sense. In this case, Real Madrid is the biggest in Spain, Juve is the biggest in Italy, Liverpool is the biggest in England,... and so on.

In European titles, Madrid is the biggest, 2nd Milan, 3rd Liverpool, Ajax and Bayern and so on.

There are other aspects too, social mass, patrimony,... depending in what you use. In this cases, the ranking would be different, but also easy to find out. In social mass involved (not just sympathisers), Barça would beat Real Madrid in Spain, for example. On the other hand, if you count with the sympathisers, then Madrid comes first. There are statistics about all this.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Koeman4 said:
Well, if you consider the amount of titles, it's easy, there is not discussion, because you only have to count them and you'll see who is bigger in that sense. In this case, Real Madrid is the biggest in Spain, Juve is the biggest in Italy, Liverpool is the biggest in England,... and so on.

In European titles, Madrid is the biggest, 2nd Milan, 3rd Liverpool, Ajax and Bayern and so on.

There are other aspects too, social mass, patrimony,... depending in what you use. In this cases, the ranking would be different, but also easy to find out. In social mass involved (not just sympathisers), Barça would beat Real Madrid in Spain, for example. On the other hand, if you count with the sympathisers, then Madrid comes first. There are statistics about all this.
Just put Barcelona as Numero Uno in Spain and state the reason why. Don't be shy. :tongue: It's your opinion and no one can take it from you. :D Compile the list and post it asap. :stuckup:

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
1) Uruguay - I don't know

2) England - Liverpool

3) Argentina - River plate

4) Scotland - Celtic

5) Italia - Milan

6) Brasil - not sure

7) Spain - Barcelona :eyepatch:

8) Holland - Ajax

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
England - Liverpool.

While Man Utd may have more money and more recent success Liverpool have the trophies and at the end of the day football is about winning trophies

1 - 20 of 102 Posts