Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3377949.stm

An article on the BBC news site by Kevin Anderson.

The message is clear the campaign finance rules that banned corporations, unions and wealthy individuals from giving unlimited amounts of money to the political parties fail in achieving their objective.

Groups known as 527s or 501cs, a reference to sections of the US tax code that regulates such tax-exempt organisations, are not included in the contribution limits set out in the McCain-Feingold law. So the donors found a new outlet. "The money is not going away. It's just going to different people."

I think I find this to be a major problem. First of all it makes the contenders too dependent of their biggest contributers, and second it can create a situation where one contender has a significant financial lead over the other(s).

Now I haven't given it that much thought...any views?

ADRIAAN
________

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Don't worry about it Adriaan. The voters are informed and wearing their anti-agitprop helmets :D . And if they aren't... well boo-hoo... that's what a democracy is all about.

And... the corporations donating only have the country's best interest at heart. It's not some sleezy bargaining chip this donation business. Perish the thought.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Glen... :D

Yes, big money still rules US politics, and will always rule US politics. Candidates know they need the money in order to succeed, because if they were to turn it down, it would just go to someone else instead. But corporations and special interest groups like to give money to both sides--though you can forget it if you are neither a Democrat or a Republican--because then they'll have some politicians in their pocket regardless of whichever side wins.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
umm this is well known

though i wanna know is who pays $10,000 to see bush, come in wave and cut a turkey and shake hands and leave....

is it me or is this prostitution?

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Lav said:
is it me or is this prostitution?
Not only is it prostition, but the service is also lousy and over priced. ;)

"Five thousand dolla for sucky, sucky. Me love you only short time, and use teeth, too" :D

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I'll never understand why prostitution is continually lumped together with scuzzy practices - like politics.

Ultimately, campaign financing and every other democracy-killing phenomenon is the fault of you and me. The movers and shakers count on public apathy, and we cooperate spectacularly. Having a say once every four years? That ain't representation.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Tim said:
Glen... :D

Yes, big money still rules US politics, and will always rule US politics. Candidates know they need the money in order to succeed, because if they were to turn it down, it would just go to someone else instead. But corporations and special interest groups like to give money to both sides--though you can forget it if you are neither a Democrat or a Republican--because then they'll have some politicians in their pocket regardless of whichever side wins.
That's precisely right on the money, if you pardon the pun.

You really think the corp world takes chances with one party or the other, Glen? Ha-hah!

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Pila said:
That's precisely right on the money, if you pardon the pun.

You really think the corp world takes chances with one party or the other, Glen? Ha-hah!
..I didn't say that they did.

...but on the other hand.. if you believe George Soros is backing Bush as well... then you'd be wrong, and you'd be equally wrong if you think different corporations do not support different candidates in unequal measure. It would be rediculous to assume that certain industries were not hoping for the current administration to continue, just like other interest groups will be favouring a change in the White House.
Looking at the available funds for each candidate and looking down memory line as well, I'd be unbelievably surprised if the Rep's are not usually having much more financial backing than the Dem's though. And it's obvious why as well. Just like the parties associated with liberalism and business here in Denmark are attracting more financial support than those talking "social rights, common responsibility" etc.

My point remains that the funding business itself is a big enough problem for you and I to agree that something should be done... regardless of what candidates we were to support. Having multi million/billon $ industries back candidates without the electorate knowing the extent/ties/favours... it's just not healthy, and the money and campaigning makes the elections themselves political charades.

Tinto: Of course it's the apathy of all of us making these practices possible to various degrees across the western sphere. That doesn't mean it's right for said apathy to be exploited- only that it is to be expected. It surely isn't right that politicians exploit the loop hole along with the "big money", right after a reform, passed in Congress, was supposed to diminish the magnitude of the problem (didn't know McCain had to do with that... positively surprised).

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I wrote in Allan Keyes, but McCain would still have made my preferable choice over Bush.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
fangul said:
George Soros is a crazy syphilitic bowhunk. He's the trojan horse of fascism in the West...
I totally agree. Don't know if you were targeting my argument, but if you did it didn't address it.

Pila: So... are we in disagreement?

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
You wanted me to read through all that hot air?

Alright, I'll give it a try and report back.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Glen - I think we may agree more than disagree - I just think that the balance between the two is more dependent on the prospect of success of each party's candidate than anything else you mentioned.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Glen said:
Nah... you don't have to :rolleyes: .

Just figured that perhaps you could address the issue in a more substantive way than saying "All's good- they fund both sides".
Try not to be so deeply... madly... to the point of delirium... captivated. In orbit. Will ya?!

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Pila: I do not disagree with that per se, but at the same time funding is a very important element of determining possible success.

To be clear on something else... are you saying that given a Republican candidate A and a Democrat B... with nominally equal chances in terms of public appeal (percentage wise), with both of them having/exhibiting the 'traditional' values associated with the two parties respectively... do you then believe that they'll be likely to aquire equal corporate funding? Because even if I agree that both would get corporate support as a matter of the corporations "spreading risks" - I surely think there'd be a difference in terms of preference. A difference that'd be reflected in the amount of $ channeled into the various campaigns.

...and on the other matter...
That has to do with something else. My personal life to be exact :D . You know I like the contest, and while I accept charges of being... verbose... at times, I think it's a bit annoying to get the hot air sticky as if it was a general principle. Especially on an issue where I simply do not believe we're in much of a disagreement.

Bono: That didn't make sense... in the least :).

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I know it annoys you, whihc is why I love doing it.;)

Indeed - that is precisely what I'm saying, that the prospect of a close race will get both candidates very similar funding from the corporate giants.

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
I still have no idea why anyone outside the US would have the slightest interest in how we finance our political campaigns. Why do you find us so fascinating?

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Humbird said:
I still have no idea why anyone outside the US would have the slightest interest in how we finance our political campaigns. Why do you find us so fascinating?
Well, c'mon - Pila lives there!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts