Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argentina travels to São Paulo on Tuesday, as the buildup continues for Wednesday's clash against Brazil at the Morumbi Stadium. Coach Marcelo Bielsa has already decided the team to start the match: the same 11 who have been playing so far, with the exception of the injured Gabriel Batistuta. Hernan Crespo will replace Batigol, as he did last week against Ecuador.

In a press conference on Monday, Bielsa said he doesn't like talking about the negative points of his opponents. "What I do care is that Argentina must control the match, that is the objective for this game," Bielsa said. "Of all the matches Argentina have played so far under my command, this game against Brazil will be the most important one."

Bielsa hasn't yet decided which player will be responsible for penalty kicks, should the opportunity arise. In the matches since Bielsa took over the reins, the team has converted one penalty kick in seven, scored by Juan Sebastian Veron against Chile on March 29.

Goalkeeper Roberto Bonano, who has conceded only two goals so far in World Cup qualifying, is confident that, if the team maintain the level of their recent performances or even show an improvement, they will remain calm during the match. "Brazil want to make it up to their supporters. It won't be easy for us, since they are a powerful team," said Bonano.

"It is vital to be focused for the match, and have all of the aspects of the team in working order."

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
The penalty taking situation is a toughy. I know Ayala is supposed to be OK at them, but I wouldn't trust him. Veron is still the #1 choice on this team, but if push comes to shove I would send Crespo up there to take it.

I just pray that Argentina doesn't pull a Netherlands. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts