Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Evening Times is reporting today that Scots are flying out en masse to Milan for Saturday's match. Although the paper report that by kick off there could be as many Scots as Italians at the San Siro that is a bit unrealistic considering the stadium has an 85,000 capacity. It does look though like we are going to have more than the 10,000 tickets we were allocated. It's all good news for the manager and hopefully the players will respond.

We've never been that great at football but the tartan army is something we should all be proud of. I've been away with them a couple of times before and it's something special- even in defeat. A change of management seems to have sparked the feel good factor again and this easter weekend should be a good one regardless of the football for our boys in Italy.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
The Record was saying the Italian fans had only bought about 10,000 tickets so far, so it's possible that we'll have more fans there. Maybe the Italians just take Easter more seriously. Either that, or they can't be bothered going to see their team win comfortably. One of my long-term targets is to join the tartan army at a major finals. Mind, I did say long-term.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
the Tartan army seem to have been a bit quiet since the Home Internationals were on, what a great sight to see them nick our goalposts at Wembley in the seventies :D

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Angle_eyes said:
The Record was saying the Italian fans had only bought about 10,000 tickets so far, so it's possible that we'll have more fans there. Maybe the Italians just take Easter more seriously. Either that, or they can't be bothered going to see their team win comfortably. One of my long-term targets is to join the tartan army at a major finals. Mind, I did say long-term.
It's definitely worth it. I went to France in 1998 and it was absoloutely fantastic. The atmosphere was just something else because it's all good fun. The locals and fans from other nations all join and everyone makes a real good time of it. My only regret was that I didn't have a kilt. One of my mates had one and the rest of us laughed at him. He had the last laugh when we got over there, he got all the female attention. :cry:

Jern Lizardhous said:
the Tartan army seem to have been a bit quiet since the Home Internationals were on, what a great sight to see them nick our goalposts at Wembley in the seventies :D
Nah, we've never been quiet mate desptie these desparate years at the tail end of Craig Brown and the whole of the Berti era. I've spoken to Dutch guys who were at the play-off game in Amsterdam and couldn't believe the party atmosphere among the Scots after the 6-0 drubbing. Win, lose or draw we'll have a good time.

BTW when the new Wembley is finished you better make sure the FA get those goalposts concreted into the ground good and proper as we might be back for a new set again. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
i'd have liked to have gone but couldn't get a cheap enough flight :(

my days of disappearing for a week on a marathon drive/train/bus journey through Europe seem to be over as my friends have started getting "careers" and "families" that they think are more important!

Sell outs! :nono:

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
It's definitely worth it. I went to France in 1998 and it was absoloutely fantastic. The atmosphere was just something else because it's all good fun. The locals and fans from other nations all join and everyone makes a real good time of it. My only regret was that I didn't have a kilt. One of my mates had one and the rest of us laughed at him. He had the last laugh when we got over there, he got all the female attention. :cry:
France 98 was great.

Were you in Bordeaux for the Norway game? That was some experience - not so much the football but the march from the town square to the stadium - About 20'000 Scots all being led up a street with a piper at the front. :thmbup:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Teddy Bear said:
France 98 was great.

Were you in Bordeaux for the Norway game? That was some experience - not so much the football but the march from the town square to the stadium - About 20'000 Scots all being led up a street with a piper at the front. :thmbup:
Yes I was. It was fantastic. I got the train from Paris to Bordeaux where I eventually, two days later, met up with my mates. If you were at the train station in Bourdeaux then you'll realise how I missed them coming off the train- it's bigger than I thought. It's the place where I learned not alot of French students can speak English unless you light up a cigarette.

We were at the big screen with a carry-out. Great atmophere. When we were going into the area some guy tried to tell us we couldn't take the carry out in. After an argument he gave up. Funny how many strangers join in to back you up when there is a carry out invovled. :happy:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marco Negri said:
I remember promising myself after France '98 that I would go to the 2002 World Cup finals if Scotland qualified.

Ah well, who wants an eight-hour flight anyway?
Right enough. I forgot '98 was the last finals we were at. I don't think anyone will be booking up for Germany next summer either unforunately. Hopefully we can all save our money for Austria and Switzerland in 2008- only 3 years away :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
When we played Brazil in 1998, everyone (and I mean everyone) came to school wearing a kilt, a Jimmy hat, or carrying a flag. I've never seen such patriotism. The game started in the afternoon, did it not? I seem to recall all my friends debating whether it worth bunking off school for.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Marco Negri said:
When we played Brazil in 1998, everyone (and I mean everyone) came to school wearing a kilt, a Jimmy hat, or carrying a flag. I've never seen such patriotism. The game started in the afternoon, did it not? I seem to recall all my friends debating whether it worth bunking off school for.
That was some day. I was in Paris that day but watched it on a big screen. Scots and Brazilians were all packed into the square and all having a good time. Some were even playing football and some swapping shirts. Great day despite the result.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
lucky enough to get tickets for the opening game, which was amazing apart from the result and atmosphere in the stadium - there was about 8000 Scotland fans, 8000 Brazilians at opposite ends then "neutrals" in the rest of the stadium.

it wouldn't be a problem if the neutrals were locals and other football fans going along to see the game (i'd do the same) but the amount of "suits", sponsors etc was ridiculous :(

Unfortunately i fear it maybe a very long time until we are good enough to qualify for another tournament - we are probably going to be something like 4th seeds for the next qualificatiers and it's going to be some task to qualify...

Anyone going to Germany even if we don't qualify? The online ticket sales end in a few days i think...

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Didn't even know they were on sale. Guess i'd better make some phone calls... Germany's easy enough to get to, and the trains are very efficient. :thumbsup: :D I was in Stuttgart last year for the CL game.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll give Germany a miss as it would be too depressing. In saying that though I suppose I could support someone else. Who was the tartan army were following the last time?

I've been through Germany once- lovely place and very clean. I was also in Koln for a week but it was shut.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Some of the new stadiums that have been built for the WC look amazing. The one that is getting built in Munich looks like a space station...

Would love to get to Berlin for the final but i dont think theres much chance of that unless i'm really really lucky in the draw. I'm sure everyone else that has tried to get tickets will be trying for the final.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like the Hindenburg Zeppelin in the bottom image.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
I would jus like to add, that all the main News reports are full of praise for the way the Scot fans have behaved here in Milano :)

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Diavolo said:
I would jus like to add, that all the main News reports are full of praise for the way the Scot fans have behaved here in Milano :)
That is good to hear. The tartan army usually does behave well on their travels but still good to hear they are still doing so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts