Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the first 60 minutes we were even worse than we were against the Czechs. Why they are so nervous I just can't explain it but the 1st goal changed everything. Suddenly we can move and pass again. The last 30 minutes will give us some beliefe but we still have some way to go from producing our best. One thing's for sure, God is definitely on our side...He is giving us a lucky break everytime we were in our darkest our. Will it be our year?
Now, we have to beat France to top the group. But seeing that Spain are struggling...we might be better off finishing
2nd...but then we won't play in Holland until the Final if we get there.
Anyway, Rijkaard made a tactical blunder playing Zenden on the left...and R De Boer again changed the game....so the starting 11 is solved...only that I'm not happy that VBronckhorst is still playing on leftback and I feel Cocu is our weakness in midfield because he is neither here nor there...better if we have RDeBoer in the center with Overmars on the right...or even Winter in the centre...
Another worry...yellow cards to all our defenders.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iqbal said:
only that I'm not happy that VBronckhorst is still playing on leftback
Another worry...yellow cards to all our defenders.
Won't van Bronckhorst and F de Boer miss the France game after being booked for the second time and is there a reason for playing GvB at left-back. Wouldn't it be better to have a defender(Numan) there rather than forcing a midfielder to play out of position.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Goalkeeper Edwin Van Der Sar, Left-back Giovanni Van Bronckhorst, Centre-back Bert Konterman, and Right-back Michael Reiziger all received yellow cards.

Van Bronchorst received his 2nd consecutive yellow card, so he will miss the match against France. That's fortunately not too much of a worry, since the likes of Cocu, Zenden, and Numan can also funtion as left-back.
The others will have to be careful that they don't pick another yellow card, otherwise they'll be out of the quater-final match. Should Stam not be fit and Konterman recieve a yellow, then Rijkaard faces a huge dilema for one of his centre-back positions. Winter can funtion adequately as right-back, shoud Reiziger recieve another yellow.
And Van Der Sar was replaced by Sander Westerveld, does anybody know how serious Van Der Sar's injury is?.
That would be the ultimate blow, should Van Der Sar be injured for the France match, the Czech would have beaten us had there been another keeper in goal otehr than Van Der Sar, It could cold have been a draw with the Danes, for the same reason. Van Der Sar is an absolute neccassity in goal, I'm eager to find out what's wrong with him. The 2nd biggest worry has to be Stam, it would be a huge boost if he was able to play next Friday against France.
But the prospects IMO don't look that bad. At Euro 96, the Dutch just recieved a 4-1 drubbing by England, no-one wanted them in teh quaters, and everyone wanted to see the French annihilate the Dutch just like the English did at Wembley. Hiddink employed the 4-42 for the first time, and he played some of his subs who did wonders, held the game to 0-0, and we had the best chacnes to win, notably Cocu striking the bar and even back then the totally useless Seedorf twice missing with just the keeper to beat.
Van Der Sar has to play, but no matter who else plays, they'll all put on an oustanding show. France may looks a mile better than the Dutch right now, they have no injury's, but the Holland's mentality will be pushed to the limit, wer'e at home, 45,0000 fans dresses in orange, play Numan, as left-back, Zenden as left-wing, keep Overmars on the right, JUST PLAY THEM RIJKAARD!! and we will defeat France, stay at home and play our way to the final, where we could well meat France again, but then we will be even stronger, WE WILL WIN EURO 2000!!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I admire your optimism Driver...you might be right and I certainly hope so. The tournament is still young anything can happen. Right now people are saying no one can stop France but Denmark created far more problems for France than against us. And Czechs gave them a gift goal which meant they needed to push out more...unlike in their game against us. Sure, given how we have performed until the last 30 mins against Denmark, you can see Henry and Anelka destroying our defence but if we can pass and move the ball as we did in that 30 mins from the start against the French, we have a chance.
Not everyteam that starts well in a tournament wins it in the end (Brazil in 1982, Denmark in 1986, Italy in 1990)...and we are getting better at just the right time (France only played well in the semi and final in 1998...before that you couldn't imagine them being champions). And we seem to have the luck that the 1988 team had. And Rijkaard will know what had been wrong with team (tactically) from tonight's game so we will be ready against France.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
We finally scored our field-goal, and we finally played like we should. Hopefully we can take that with us to the game against France. It is possible....

·
XCC Winner 2001
4,440 Posts
ARNHEM WAS FANTASTIC!!

10-thousand ORANGE people on the churchsquare, watching the match on this huge videowall!!!
What an explosion there was, when Kluivert scored, it was awesome!!
And party aswell after the 2 following goals, and the missed penalty!

And wednesday, I will be in the Arena!!
I am SO looking forward to that!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts