Xtratime Community banner

Beto

2K views 57 replies 14 participants last post by  Dae 
#1 ·
evrrything on the guy! Please!

G
#3 ·
Well he's by far my favorite Portuguese player, and I see a great future ahead of him, already Manchester has made offers, not to mention the countless others.
And as Marcoa said he's definitely the future captain of the national team. I also think he's one of the best Portuguese defenders of all-time.

#4 ·
His a great player and will not go to Man u F**CKERS (i hope)he is only 22-23 and has a lot of potential and is going to be part of the next super generation , hopefully that generation will do all the winning at senior level.

#5 ·
I read today that Roma has entered the Sweepstakes for Beto along with Man U. Will SPorting cave in under all this pressure. They already sold Dusher is Beto next??

#6 ·
Who knows? It's hard to ignore big money. Duscher isn't Portuguese, so Sporting was obviously a stepping stone to Serie A or some bigger league. Beto is Portuguese so he might feel more loyalty to the team and league. Sure, that is a naive sentiment, but you have to have some hope. I just don't want to see Sporting sell too many key players and lose the chemistry that got us the title and CL bid.

G
#7 ·
I'd hate to see Beto leave! I also wouldn't want to lose the chemistry that Sporting had last year! But if he goes then we should get some good cake($) for him! We can go out and replace him he is good but replaceable! Too many rumors going around so when I see it then I'll believe it and until then I expect to see him back next year!

[Edited by Bulletproof on 23-06-2000 at 04:14]

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Fiorentina wants Beto

I've read in today's "O Jogo" edition that Fiorentina is ready to make a bid for the 24 year old central defender for Sporting. He has a buy clause of over 10 million dollars. Fiorentina needs defense and they have been eyeing Beto for a while.

If this is true, it's another blow to Sporting defensively after losing Vidigal and Duscher. That means Sporting will have to probably play the young Argentinian Quiroga who Napoli also wants.

Also Sa Pinto is no longer interested in coming to Sporting claiming that the Lions took to long to not negotiate a deal.

Sporting will have loads of cash if the Beto deal goes through.

#9 ·
Beto was a central piece in Sporting's defense. I wonder who they would use to replace him. Quiroga? :rolleyes:. Besides, Inácio has already tried to play with THIS team, and I wonder if he can have another player going away - specially at this stage

#11 ·
I agree that if they lose Beto, they could be in for a tough year, but they still have Andre Cruz who to me was better than Beto. Also they will have tons of cash to go after some solid replacements. Plus they can try Rui Jorge in the middle.

#12 ·
I love the rumors!

I'm not sure which Milan it is, but some guy Cesare Maldini said he would like to see Beto on Milan! Luis Duque also said that their are 5 or 6 other players that clubs are asking about.

This is why their has been talk about Joao Manuel Pinto the central defender from Porto. His contract is up soon and Sporting has been inquiring about him, you's do the math. I also heard something about Poborsky's contract being up soon and both these players names are in todays abola newpaper under the SPORTING section! Check it out http://www.abola.pt But I think Sporting said they are all set with Porbosky but you never know! Who woulda thought you'd see JVP in green!

[Edited by ALCATRAZ 2000 on 10-10-2000 at 20:08]

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Beto to....

.....who? The Milan forum has a post saying they are very interested in him. Of course, they make it sound like he's gone already. I've seen him linked to Real also. Is Beto really on the block? Or is he just heavily pursued? Eventually we'll lose him, so we might as well get top dollar for him. Or pay top dollar if we have it. Sporting is not a club that can match top dollar offers. Benfica think they can, but they pay in monopoly money when they pay at all. The last thing we should do is allow Beto to go on a free transfer. I hope the Sporting heads are paying atention. Like it or not, making these bir money transfers is how clubs like ours survive. I hope we've got a good price on him already, so if he is sold we are compensated handsomely.

#14 ·
While i dont want to see him go , but it seems though this will only take affect from next year January.
Look we have Quiroga who is on loan to Napoli who is really good, but i dont know whan that contract loan expires.
Hugo is alright but i prefer him in DM.

#15 ·
The key is to make a smart business decision. I would for all our young talent to stay, but that is unrealistic. What is really important is not let these guys go on free transfers, because then we get nothing. Big money transfers has always been how teams like Sporting pay for their needs and it always will be. $10 million for a guy like Beto or Duscher can be used wisely to shore up two or three positions.

#16 ·
Yes I know what you mean Daeone, Spurs fans feel the same about Sol Campbell and whether he will leave on a free at the end of the season, which seems likely at the moment.

I think Newcastle also like Beto, but I doubt they will make a move.

But he's a bit young methinks to go abroad, he wont get 1st team futebol, but for Sporting's sake the cash would be good.

#17 ·
Agreed, Taco. He would see plenty of bench time like Simao did, or maybe no time like Leal and so forth. Young guns usually don't see much time when they go abroad. Figo was an exception, but hell, he's Figo.

#18 ·
Say, Taco, how's Rebrov doing with Spurs? I was kind of hoping Milan would pick him up. A Sheva/Rebrov attack would've been cool. They lit it up while with Kiev. Almost made the CL finals that one year.

#19 ·
The thing is we sell him for &10mil and AC sell him for &25mil. Its like Figo we sold him for nothing and now look how much he is worth sometimes its better to hold on to players.

#20 ·
Yeah Rebrov is doing quite well as Spurs, he's popular with the fans but he didnt play yesterday in their home defeat by Birmingham. Spurs are in really bad shape at the moment pressure is mounting on George G.

If Rebrov went to Milan it would make a great partnership. Rebrov is a forward, not as gifted and a consistant goalscorer as Shevvy.

You may as well sell Beto yes his value may rise even more at Milan or Real but thats the way it goes i suppose.

#21 ·
Figo sold for so much money because he was with Barca, the biggest club in the world. Plus, their enemy grabbed him, so the price went up even more. No on would ever pay that much for a Portuguese league player. Sporting sold Figo for peanuts because in 1995 we were in financial caos. We needed to money so we sold everything worth selling.

Sure Beto's value will rise with Milan or Barca, but that is if succeeds with them. If he does, then obviously success with a top flight Serie A or La Liga team will raise his value.

#22 ·
Okay...maybe I read wrong but I read in OJOGO that if Sporting would sell Beto in December to Real they would get 15 000 000$ US (the same as Simao) but if they sell Beto next summer they get only 10 000 000$ US. One thing for certain is that Real have priority in signing Beto.

#25 ·
Yes Real will have first choice on Beto. But one thing that is for sure is that he will probably flop at Real.

He is good, but still lacks some experience. Maybe 1 or 2 years time would be better to go abroad.

Its seems to be the latest trend in Italy & Spain to sign young Portuguese players after success stries such as Figo, Simao, Rui Costa, Nuno Gomes etc... but they don't hear about the flops like Boa Morte, Dani, etc..

#26 ·
It's the same thing they do with Latin American players. If they wait until the guy is experienced, then all that's happened is the price has gone through the roof. Ronaldinho, Saviola, Riquelme and Aimar will cost a fortune when they finally go abroad. I remember reading some price like $80 million attached to Ronaldinho's name. Absurd.

As for Beto, I posted on this subject earlier. Milan also showed interest in him. Sporting will lose him no matter what. We can't afford to match the salaries Spain can pay. If we sell now, before his contract is up, then we'll make enough money to reinforce a couple of positions.

Simao went abroad and flopped at Barca for a year. Actually, he didn't flop so much as rotted on the bench. Now he's blossomed. Training with a world class squad can do a lot for a young player, especially if technique is stressed.

All that said, it'll be a shame to lose another good young player.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.