Xtratime Community banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts
Well, if he can't handle tight marking and very physical play, then maybe so. He strikes me as being able to, however. We'll see.

I'm not 100% convinced that Bero will succeed in either Spain or Italy. I hope he proves me wrong, but if he goes to one of the big clubs he's been linked with, I fear he'll be the next Secretario.

Hey, I want the man to stay with us, but if he must leave, why not to Milan, my other team? :D

Portuguese internationals would all benefit from playing abroad don't you think? They know the Portuguese style of play and adding something different to their play can only benefit them.

Sure. There's little doubt that the travels of Costa, Figo, Conceicao and company have only served to make them better players. These guys are now the best in the world and it probably wouldn't have happened had they never left Portugal.

This from Maisfutebol.com. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it basically says they are interested, but at the same time have to mention that the portuguese league ain't the spanish league.

Beto joga numa Liga menor», dizem espanhóis
20/03/2001 | 11:47

Beto, defesa-central do Sporting, é citado no diário espanhol Marca desta terça-feira como possível aquisição do Real Madrid para a próxima época, mas «o facto de se ter desenvolvido nos últimos anos numa Liga menor como a portuguesa joga contra ele», diz o jornal.

Alessandro Nesta, da Lazio de Roma, é apontado como alvo preferencial dos responsáveis merengues. Na primeira linha surgem igualmente Cannavaro, do Parma, e o argentino Walter Samuel, da Roma.

Beto surge num item denominado «Outras opções» e mesmo assim vem atrás do francês Thuram, do Parma.

O internacional português - «seguido pelo Real há algum tempo» - é visto pela Marca como um central «cujo estilo de jogo convence e que resolve situações comprometedoras». Os jornalistas espanhóis referem ainda que «o preço do seu passe é acessível». Depois vem o tal «contra».

Is there anybody Real won't/can't buy? Nesta, Thuram and Samuel? And Beto? :eek: :greed:

The mere fact Real is considering Beto along with these three giants in the defense speaks volumes for our guy. Seems to me if he went to Real Madrid he'd never see the field, except from a comft seat in the stands. I hope he decides to stay or at least go somewhere where he'll play first team football.

That's why I can't stand the spanish...always thinking that they are better!!! Much lower league!!! If we could have the debts that Real Madrid has...many Portuguese clubs would be as strong as Real is!!! Even their most loved player is PORTUGUESE - FIGO!!! Coz they can't bring up any world class player!!!

We might be in a lesser league but as a nation team we are ranked #4! Were the hell is Spain?

Obviously, the Spanish league is better than ours. Hell, they have the best league, period. What bothers me is feeling the need to point out the obvious. As southerners say, it's down right tacky!

freaking Spaniards...they must be really pissed that Portugal is #4 considering they are so much better than us at everything :rolleyes:

There was no reason to call it a lesser league. As Dae said, tacky and rather arrogant for the author to do say so. By the same side of the coin, I don't see why we should react defensively as if this was a Portugal vs Spain thing. A Spanish league-Portugal league thingy, maybe. But, it was not meant as a jab at the Nationality, but the league. How many of us here can argue with him is to the superiority of their league?

Condemn the author for being a d*ckhead, not because he's spanish. Being Spanish has nothing to do with him being a d*ickhead.

Spanish league is better!!!...better players...better stadiums and coaches!!!

The point is how a spanish newspaper classified our league: MUCH LOWER!!! We aren't Luxemburg!!! In fact, this season, my club, kick out Espanyol...and last season beat Real Madrid for the CL. Sporting, also, has won against Real in the pre-season!!!
We might no have all the money they have...but we have better youth system...and we survive to a constant "bleed" of great players...wich I doubt spanish would survive aswell as we do!!!
EVERY TOP TEAM IN SPAIN HAS, AT LEAST, ONE PLAYER THAT PLAYED IN OUR LEAGUE!!!

MORE RESPECT!
:fero:

HASTA!

Whos got a better youth system or national team is not an issue raised by the author or the newspaper. We're the ones who are mentioning the youth systems and national teams as a way to combat what a Spanish Newspaper, or more specifically, a Spanish author for refering to our league as inferior to theirs. A fact that we can hardly dispute. Associating this issue with one of nationalities is something that we're doing, not him. And, the defensive reaction suggests an insecurity we have with the Spaniards.

I agree that he's an assh*le, because I feel that the point could have been made without the reference to the inferiority of our league to his. I can thing of a hundred ways that the players capacity could have questioned with out insulting our league.

Attack the newspaper, if you must. I just don't see a point in pointing out that the guy is a Spaniard who works for a Spanish newspaper. I don't see the point in making this a Portugal vs Spain thing. I mean, where exactly is Spain, and it's people, negligent for the words of this idiot? Isn't that refered to as "guilt by association"? And, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't this also how terrorists justify wiping out innocent people?

Me thinks we're becoming that exact thing we hate in others.

[Edited by Pila on 21-03-2001 at 22:10]

This is from the Record:

Beto: «Sinto-me bem no Sporting»

Central sportinguista feliz em Alvalade
RECUSANDO a ideia de que esteja definida qualquer situação futura envolvendo o Real Madrid, Beto reafirma a intenção de ficar em Alvalade, mostrando-se calmo em relação à sua situação no clube.

“Sinto-me bem no Sporting e, se depender de mim, pretendo ficar. Fiquei triste com o facto de um jornalista espanhol, com quem falei num diálogo curto, me ter citado a fazer afirmações que não produzi. Disse-lhe apenas que é sempre lisonjeiro saber do interesse de outros clubes. Qualquer jogador fica satisfeito com isso, pois significa o reconhecimento de que estamos a fazer um bom trabalho.”

”Ninguém me abordou para sair”

E, ao mesmo tempo que salienta manter-se apenas empenhado em defender os interesses do clube leonino numa fase crucial da temporada, o jogador acrescenta: “Ninguém me abordou para sair do Sporting mas, mesmo que isso venha a acontecer, será sempre uma situação a considerar em conjunto com os responsáveis e a última palavra pertence-me. Se algum dia pretender deixar o clube falarei primeiro com os dirigentes.”

Além disso, Beto manifesta-se sereno quanto às garantias que lhe foram apresentadas. “Numa determinada fase da época, especulou-se quanto à minha saída porque o clube estaria necessitado de dinheiro. Nessa altura, abordei os responsáveis, esclareci o assunto e deram-me tranquilidade para ficar. Estou bem no clube, porque tenho sido sempre bem tratado e acarinhado”, conclui.

It's good news, if it's true. He's one that would be great to keep around and it would be a minor coup for portuguese football. I don't know if I believe it or not. All these guys claim to want to stay, but then wind up going. If he really wants to stay Sporting should sign him up to as good a contract as they can offer and force him to show loyalty and back up his words.

Here's something from PlanetFootball.

REAL TARGETS FLATTERED
by Adam Marshall

TWO of Real Madrid's summer targets have admitted they are flattered to be linked with a move to the Santiago Bernabeu.
Sporting Libson star Beto and Benfica's Carlos Marchena have both been speaking to the press in the wake of rumours suggesting that Real have been looking in Portugal for new blood.

"It is always flattering that other clubs are interested in you," admitted Portuguese international Beto (pictured). "It is satisfying because it is recognition of your work but I am happy at Sporting and, if it depends on me, I want to stay.

"Whatever happens, it will always be neccesary to speak first with the club, although the last word will be mine.

"If, some day, I want to leave the team, I will speak first with the leaders."

Meanwhile, Marchena has also been talking about the alleged interest from the Spanish capital.

"It is a pleasure that Real think about me," the Benfica stopper admitted. "I have known about the rumours for some years but I cannot decide anything at this moment in time.

"I have a contract of three more years with Benfica, I am playing and they have treated me very well here.

"But Benfica is not doing well economically and to sell me to a big club may be good for the two parties."

It basically says the same. The key is if Sporting can pay him enough to keep him around. We'll never match the salaries of the big boys, but I think a good offer could keep him around.

That is unless he's pulling a Figo and using the media to drive up his asking price. The crap he pulled between Real and Barca was really beneath him. I love the guy as a player, but I lost a little respect for him by the way he handled that situation.

Beto fury at Milan and Real Madrid rumours

Monday 26th March 2001

Sporting Lisbon defender Beto has dismissed reports linking him with AC Milan and Real Madrid. "I only said I was flattered to hear of the interest of other clubs," said the £10 million-rated international.

Beto was recently quoted as saying he would welcome a move to Real, but the 24-year-old confirmed that he has no desire to leave Portugal. "I'm happy here and, if it's up to me, I'll stay," he said.

"I'm sad that I was misquoted. I was flattered by the reports, but any player would be as it is recognition of the fact that you're doing a good job.

"Nobody has spoken to me about leaving. If it happened it would have to be in conjunction with the bosses and I would have the last word," he added.

Beto, who was also linked with Arsenal last year, is under contract at Sporting until 2005.

To me, the key to all this is his saying, "If it's up to me, I'll stay." That usually means if the contract is sweet enough or if SCP decides to cash in on his promising pricetag. None the less, it's nice to see our players speaking so highly of being a Lion. :)

Barbosa also speaks highly of SCP, but he is still rumored to be heading to Porto. I'll puke seeing Barbosa in the blue and white. :eek: :yuck:

Yeah thats good news for Sporting fans that he's pledged to stay, but from a selfish seleccao point of view I'd like to see Beto play for a big club and improve his game :)

But maybe at Real or Milan hhe would just be keeping the bench warm :( But I wouldn't mind seeing Barbosa at FCP, but I'll feel the same if Drulovic goes to Benfica :( :yuck:

Barbosa is one of my all-time favorite SCP players, so I want him to stay.

I agree that Beto would probably grow from playing in Serie A or Spain, but he runs the risk of being some monster club's fifth option in defense. Sitting on the bench doesn't help aybody.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.