Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question now in Portugal is who is Oliveira going to choose for wc.
Oliveira said:

Caneira adianta-se a Beto no «sprint» final para a Coreia
“Se está cá é porque tem possibilidades de ir ao Mundial” – diz Oliveira acerca do benfiquista, o qual “dá garantias, até em função dos jogadores disponíveis para os lugares de lateral-direito e esquerdo”. Quanto à ausência de Beto da convocatória, o seleccionador questiona: “Neste momento, em que lugar ele joga?!... É um jogador de selecção que pode, pontualmente, não estar numa convocatória ou num Mundial”

Jornal Record

Who do you think is going to win the "sprint"?

·
Registered
243 Posts
since caneira got picked over beto for the brasil game....it looks like barring injury caneira might get the spot...not sure how i feel about this

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I think very highly of Caneira. Matter of fact, it amazes me that he has been Benfica's best defensive player while being forced to play out of position. I believe he is rightfully in contention for a spot. If he made the squad ahead of Fernando Meira, Vidigal, Mario Silva, or maybe even Abel Xavier, I could accept that. However, to be chosen in lieu of Beto, that's a different story altogether. Beto has missed the last 2 games because of injury, that's it. He, too, has played all season out of position (at right back). With the possible exception of Paulo Ferreira or Frechaut, he's been the best right back in the league all season. His spot on the squad should not be quesitoned.

I'm just going to come out and say it: This is politically motivated. This is nothing more than Affirmative Action, FPF-style. If Simao hadn't gotten injured, Caneira probably wouldn't be going to Korea. However, it would be a "travesty" :rolleyes: if the NT went to the World Cup without a Benfica player.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
So why was Caneira selected to Finland match with Simão? Oliveira already knew Simão was going to get injury and he needed a Benfica player in the selected? Of course.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
LuisPedroCat said:
So why was Caneira selected to Finland match with Simão? Oliveira already knew Simão was going to get injury and he needed a Benfica player in the selected? Of course.
That's not the point I was trying to make. What I meant to say is that Caneira's chances of making the final roster have increased substantially because of Simao's injury.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Sorry, I just don't see it. I guess we fans still have toruble realizing that these coaches, players still want to win more than all we fans put together. While our investment to the team is one of considerable emotion and our natural territorial instincts, these guys controling the destiny of the team have that and their careers invested in the interest fo doing all possible to increase the chances to putt forth the best team possible. No coach in their right mind would sacrifice their chances to succeed for the sake of satisfying some egos.

This is just fan fodder, much like the Portista inferiority complex when some player gets chosen over one of theirs and accuse everyone and their mother all the way to the poor schmoe watering the grass at the Luz of conspiring against them.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nem Beto nem Caneira LITOS Oliveira doesn’t like him but is one of the best CB in la Liga voted a few times in the team of the week by Marca .

·
Registered
642 Posts
You gotta give Caneira some credit, cause hes been playing well & therefore been given his chance at the NT; not IMO because hes a Benfica player.

Plus Beto hasnt even been playing regularly at Spertin has he; I heard he lost his spot to some other kitten - is that right.

M

·
0 Posts
One Benfica player that deserves a go is JMP. Hes been in form all season. Caneira should be picked but i like Beto as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Caneira plays in all defensive positions with the same "garra" i dont belive that beto does. He is already complaining because he as been playing right back. I really think that Caneira deserves a chance. Like i think that Quaresma does. We need have unknown players in the squad. To be the less spotted possible before the wc. We need an attack with players of great speed in the bech like brasil has to turn a gane around. For me Oliveira is a dumbass anyone can agree with that kind of subs???? He was affraid of brasil like he was affraid os France wen we lost 4-0!!!

Long Live Young Players on the NT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Litos from Malaga and Pedro Emanuel if they were playing for the big three, they would be call in.
Surprise one of the best portuguese players for 2001/02 Kenedy for Maritimo don't get the call.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I agree with you Tiago!
Antonio Oliveira is a chicken **** dumbass.
I would have brought on Paulo Sousa as Brazil were controllig the game and fully fit he is our best trinco.
I would also call up Quaresma and Postiga , both of them could be great subs.
Thats one thing we lack(pace)
just like Antonio lacks a brain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts