Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well?

Worst:
I have sat through a lot of junk (I've seen Duran Duran twice, for example, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, ***** Galore and both The Skatenigs and Fear on a double bill that took years off my life), but the MK Ultra live experience was the show I saw in, must of been 1994 or 1995, SF...The Smashing Pumpkins. I heard them today on the radio and it all came flooding back. The horrah the horrah. The place was filled with a lot of people who were obviously there to hear their hit at the time (Disarm) and probably expecting to have them sound more or less how they did on record. Big mistake. All those new fans were running out of there post haste. I was aware of what poor a live band they were having seen them once before, but talk about not even trying. There is a kind of out of tune-ness that's cool (like for example Lydia Lunch's caterwauling) and there is a kind of out of tune-ness that just proves you can't play. Guess which catagory Billy "Woe Is Me" Corgan and Co. fell into? He did have "I Love My Mom" written on his guitar though. That was a nice touch.

Best:
The Specials. Dressed in the rudie suits and with that 55 year old trumpet player. How great were they? Six encores great. Plus they were were better than their opening acts: Mefiskafeles (great name), No Doubt (who went on to bigger and better things), Let's Go Bowling (a great live act) and The legendary Skatalites. I don't even like ska all that much, but had to give it up for consumate professionalism. Honorable mention to: Shriekback (kind of like The Cult they just had one song but it was a good one), The Smiths (for Morrissey's hilarious stage patter and angry hairdresser act), Pavement (back when they had the looney Vietnam vet drummer), The Pogues (very drunk), Madness, Prince and The Flaming Lips.

RIO

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Best - It's a Laura Fygi concert, at London's Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club. :heart: The reasons are largely personal as to why it is the best, I won't write them here, if not I'll be submitting an essay. :cool:

I don't think I've watched any concerts/gigs where I did not enjoy myself - most of them lived up to expectations. But if I really, really have to name a worst live show, it's RHCP at the Wembley Arena. It wasn't the Peppers' fault, it was entirely my fault. I had an exam coming up during that time and I was already severely lacking in sleep, plus I didn't eat a single morsel the entire day. I was rushing to finish my revision, then at about 6.30 I took a cab to the Arena with my friends, managed to get ourselves a nice little space near the front of the stage. Things got a bit out of control, the people at the back were surging forward like crazy and I could hardly breathe. I couldn't even stand properly, all I could recall was that I was like a helpless object bobbing in the midst of a human wave, didn't help matters that the guys around me were like 10 feet tall :groan: and flailing their arms around like mad with complete disregard for the people around them. As usual some really intelligent people;) decided to crowd-surf, and I received the full weight of a sturdy leg at the back of my head when some chap above my head accidentally yanked his foot at me as he was crowd-surfing to the other side. It was nasty, but I think I was so hyped up for most part of the concert I jumped like a monkey like everybody else, God knows where I got my energy from considering that I reached the Arena like a zombie.

At the end of the show I was a complete wreck, I had no clue where my friends were, tried calling them on my mobile but no success, so I just wandered to the drink area, and it was there that I passed out and collapsed like sack of potatoes. :D Frankly, it was a miracle that I stayed on my feet for the entire concert. :tongue: Before everything turned black I thought I saw Sir Alex approaching, riding a white horse :eek:... no no, I'm kidding. :D But yeah I passed out, when I was awake again I was sitting in a corner with a horde of people surrounding me - it was bloody embarrassing. :groan::tongue: After resting for a while I felt strong enough to get up, found my friends and made them carry me home on a sedan. ;):D

But it taught me a lesson, always eat before you go to a violent concert. ;)

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Worst:
As Heather a Smashing Pumpkins gig at Werchetr a couple of years ago. It was at the end of their last tour and I've never seen a group on stage that was soo uninterested. To their defense some years earlier I've seen them in Gent and that was one of the best shows I saw.
Also bad where Mercury Rev in Antwerp about 4 years ago. It was justa fter they released their Deserter's songs album. Totally not interested playing way too loud,... a very disappointing concert.

Best:
Will Oldham 2 years ago in Brussels, also his last gig of a tour, completely drunk and having the ttime of his life. He sung encores untill his voice gave up :D
Maybe less passionate but much more clean was Björk. A warm evening in the field of Werchter. The moon high in the sky, a fairy-like decor on stage and Björk's voice over it. :star:
And of course dEUS, in Antwerp. The last show with Stef Kamil Carlens a very honest and emotional concert.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
worst: OASIS in Hamburg, June 2000
I waited years for seeing them and Noel decided to do a little break from the group. So no Germany shows with him.
Then the concert was cancelled and moved to another date because Liam had "Problems with his throat" (as said, dont know wether it was true). They changed the date only some hours before the concert, we all paid lots of money to go there- without knowing there will be no concert on that day. We all were quite angry and upset of course.
The concert was then 10 days later and only around 70 minutes long. Very big dissapointment to be honest. It was okay, but I expected more.

the best:

a-ha in Hamburg, 2000
a-ha in Bremen , 2002
Robbie Williams in Cologne, 2001
Robbie Williams in Hannover, 2003
Die Toten Hosen - wherever they are, it everytime something to have fun and to enjoy.

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
From the top of my head:

Best: R.E.M. in Roskilde 1999 - fantastic performance by the band in front of what I think was a record audience at the Festival.
Meshell Ndegeocello at Vega Cph. 01, not particularly because of the music.;)
J. Scofield/L. Golding etc. Cph. Jazzhouse a few years ago - the entire Hand Jive crew, amazing stuff!:cool:
GunsNRoses. Gentofte, somewhere between 91 and 93 - HUGE fan of them back then; they were 1 1/2 hours late, musically a disappointment and the show only lasted an hour, yet the best day of my life.;)

Worst: Not for musical reasons, but I have to mention Pearl Jam´s tragical koncert at the Roskilde Festival June 2000, where, I think 9 people died.:depress: I must have been standing about 20 metre from the concerned area; didn´t actually see it happening, and didn´t know the extent of the catastrophe until next morning, but naturally the atmosphere in the camp was tense and all sorts of rumours were circulating… Very very sad event.

In a different tone, Bob Dylan at Forum 2003 – I didn´t expect anything great but really, he hit rock bottom, literally..:thumbdwn: In short he displayed everything I do not like about Bob Dylan.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
delpi_vanni_10 said:
worst: OASIS in Hamburg, June 2000
I waited years for seeing them and Noel decided to do a little break from the group. So no Germany shows with him.
Then the concert was cancelled and moved to another date because Liam had "Problems with his throat" (as said, dont know wether it was true). They changed the date only some hours before the concert, we all paid lots of money to go there- without knowing there will be no concert on that day. We all were quite angry and upset of course.
The concert was then 10 days later and only around 70 minutes long. Very big dissapointment to be honest. It was okay, but I expected more.
I had more luck! :D I went to two Oasis's concerts: Vicenza (July 2002) and Milan (November 2002) and they were both wonderful. Especially in Milan, Noel was absolutely great!! :cool:
I'm sad for your concert, I would have been angry as well. But you should try again! :)

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
Oh btw. for nostalgic reasons I have to mention Ray Charles in Tivoli in 2001 and Paul McCartney in Parken 2003. They may both be a little past their best but even at this stage of their careers they still know how to create that special atmosphere and solidarity with their audience.:cool:

And Michael Jackson in Parken 1997 deserves a special mention too. Great memories of that summer.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Dalila said:
I had more luck! :D I went to two Oasis's concerts: Vicenza (July 2002) and Milan (November 2002) and they were both wonderful. Especially in Milan, Noel was absolutely great!! :cool:
I'm sad for your concert, I would have been angry as well. But you should try again! :)
Ahhhhh!! *envious*. I didnt know you like them, too.
Yes, I will try again -if they will manage to come back. In best form and when they are motivated they are f******* great! :) Has someone of your here seen their superb Knebworth- performance? :rollani:
Oasis without Noel is no real Oasis of course. My favourite songs are sung by him, and of course I missed them in Hamburg. No Acquiesce, no Dont look back in Anger. :(

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Worst:
Manic Street Preachers, Roskilde 1999. They did absolutely nothing. Totally uninspired, played for about half and hour, smashed a bass on the scene. That's it. Afterwards they told the media they'd played too many festivals that summer. Got that right. :rolleyes:

Best:
The Roots, Roskilde Festival 1999. They played on a small scene very close to the audiece at 3 a.m. They came out with black hoods over their heads, banging cowbells and just set the tent on fire. R.E.M. as Laudrup mentioned was great too.

Mercury Rev in Copenhagen 2002 was an excellent concert too. Got a feeling they really enjoyed playing there. :)

·
Registered
15,604 Posts
Worst - the sets by the Foo Fighters and Feeder at Slane in 2003 - utterly feeble live bands if you ask me - just don't have the vocal or musical ability to carry a big live show - think their music was shown to be the derivative pop rock nonsense it is........

Best - Tough one - 3 performances spring to mind - Queens of the Stone Age in Melbourne 2003, Queens at Slane 03 and At the Drive In in Dublin 01 - probably in terms of sheer quality of performance I'll go for Queens at Slane - literally blew the s**t out of the place - some improvised magic of a standard I couldn't believe. Every serious music fan I met who went agreed that they absolutely blew away RHCP, Foo Fighters and PJ Harvey.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Best - Anthrax at Barrowlands, March 2003, absolutely superb set, supported by 2 local acts, they played all the classics, Caught In A Mosh, NFL, Only, Got The Time, Anti-Social, mixed in with tracks from one of the best albums of last year, like What Doesn't Die & the undeniably catchy Safe Home. The Barrowlands was totally packed, I got beer chucked on my head, I was sweating like a whore in a bin-liner, it was just CRAZY!

Worst? Not seen one that would be fair to call worst, though Pitchshifter were LESS GOOD than the rest. Shame.

·
Registered
307 Posts
worst- bush x, i didnt actually go cause i like teh band, i was working the event, beside having bad songs these guys have no flare no showmanship, just utter boredom, what do you expect this is 90s rock and roll at its worst.

best- iron maiden this past summer, even in there mid 40s nobody and i mean nobdoy beats there live shows, some bands come close but this is the best live band ever.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
delpi_vanni_10 said:
Ahhhhh!! *envious*. I didnt know you like them, too.
Yes, I will try again -if they will manage to come back. In best form and when they are motivated they are f******* great! :) Has someone of your here seen their superb Knebworth- performance? :rollani:
Oasis without Noel is no real Oasis of course. My favourite songs are sung by him, and of course I missed them in Hamburg. No Acquiesce, no Dont look back in Anger. :(
I love them. :D
Yeah, Noel is absolutely the best! He's essential, i couldn't even imagine a concert without him. But I preferred songs sung by Liam, I love his voice! :cool:
It's really a pity for "Don't look back in anger"... When I went all the stadium sang it with Noel!

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Not so good:
Korn on their "Life is Peachy" Tour.(They only played about 45 Minutes)
Red Hot Chili Peppers a few years ago were powerfull, but Anthony's voice sucked pretty bad as far as i remember.

Best:
Pearl Jam "Binaural" Tour
Chris Cornell in Seattle on his solo Tour.
Black Sabbath with Pantera as support act on the Reunion Tour
Eric Clapton/Ray Charles/Sanborn/Gadd etc... at a Jazz-Fesitval

It's been to many over the years to remember all, but those were significant.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Worst :

1) Junoon Live at the Convention Centre Jan 2001 (this band is bunch of utterly show-offy twats that rip-off Led Zeppelin riffage and put electric fans directed toward their hair to make it flutter, yep, that's how bad they are)

2) later Pink Floyd in Bangalore (awful, awful! except for a rather nice twisted version of Wish you Were Here that survived the terrible sound equipments)

Best :

1) PJ Harvey in the UK (Bath) :star: - this was a very small gig indoors, I hardly knew her at the time but she's really the greatest live...

2) Mogwai in Northampton, MA 2003 (awesome live band!), there were also Oil and And You Will Know us By the Trail of Dead (another amazing live band).

---

Bands I wish to see in the future: Microphones, Mirah, Pixies, of Montreal, Cursive, sigur ros, and especially Cat Power (because I actually missed a free show of Chan's in NY last year and nearly killed myself for doing so)...:depress:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts