Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if it has been done before on this forum but this is my top 11 from the Fergie yrs - what do u all think ???

Schmeichel - GK

Parker - RB
Stam - CB
Pallister - CB
Irwin - LB

Beckham - RM
Keane - CM
Scholes - CM
Giggs - LM

Cantona - CF
RVN - CF

Subs:
Barthez, Bruce, G Neville, Ince, Kanchelskis, Yorke, Cole

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doc_Rule said:
with the exception of Gary Chuckle, i'd agree with that squad.
G Neville is only in because of the lack of other RBs - I could have gone as far back as John Sivebaek - remember him ??? but though G Neville should be in for his contribution to the Treble team and his consistency (although he is prone to some errors at times)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jern Lizardhous said:
I'd take Kanchelskis over Beckham so Cantona can knock them juicy balls over the top to him,he was great at United. ;)
At the height of his powers I would argue that Kanchelskis was more potent than Becks - I chose Becks over him because of his work ethic, his tendency to have gotten Utd out of some sticky situations with his free kicks and long range passing - Kanchelskis beats Becks in the pace stakes though !

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I downloaded this pic off the manutd.com website last year after we won the EPL......i hope his works

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Damn, I couldn't attatch the pic....some1 help me n tell me how its done....or i could send u the pic n u can attach it urself............its basicly fergie's best 11, based on the votes of united fans from the official website.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Arsenal Don't Have 'Magic'

Since Arsenal's almost-collapse a couple of weeks back, people haven't been so quick to compare them to the ManYoo treble team, and rightly so. Granted, this Arsenal may, at their best, play better football than that ManYoo team at their best (and they weren't too shabby themselves), but that isn't really the criteria for 'the' great team.

It's also why the current Real Madrid team will be remembered more for the individual Galacticos they've assembled, rather than being a great team (despite their rather spiffing Champions League record for recent years).

To start, a little bitter comparison. In 2000, ManYoo won the league by a country mile (18 pts in fact, which might be similar to Arsenal's gap this year), and by scoring a bucketload more goals than Arsenal will get this year (unless Arsenal manage 28 goals in their next four games - unlikely).

Yet without fail, we were denigrated as Premiership bullies. We beat the little teams. We beat the big teams. Yet because we lost to an outstanding Real Madrid team in the CL, we didn't cut it as a great team. Sounds familiar doesn't it, yet Arsenal are the greatest team the Premiership has ever seen? The facts do not agree.

There's more to a great team than being able to cut a mid-table side to ribbons in glorious fashion.

And it's what the ManYoo treble team had that will see them go down near or at the top of the football annals, and it's what Arsenal so plainly lack, when looking at the hurdles they failed against this season. For all their Gallic flair, for all their 'best player in the world's, for all their annoyingly delusional fans, Arsenal don't have *the magic*.

I'm not one to wax lyrical, but that ManYoo team had an irresistible power about them, the kind of power that never harboured self doubt or ever considered that anything was beyond them. They made things hard for themselves and *still* won out.

This Arsenal team may have produced the pretty football, but they never produced the substance of the FA Cup semi-final victory, nor Turin, and definitely not Barcelona. They haven't even scaled the height of the FA Cup victory over Liverpool. Their wins over Chelsea (domestically, of course)proved that they are a grand side, and their hammering of Inter started to reach the heights of footballing greatness.

But it's not a case of 'they just didn't reach those heights', they *failed* to reach those heights. The ManYoo treble team wouldn't have limped to an impotent 1-0 defeat to Arsenal in their FA Cup semi, and they would've equalised against Chelsea in the CL quarter-final second leg.

That team didn't play the prettiest football of all time ever, but that is a plastic accolade when compared to what the team did achieve. And it's the same plastic accolade which is seeing people hail the current Arsenal side as the greatest the British Isles has produced. A team that goes the entire season unbeaten deserves a footnote in the history books, but it still doesn't bear up to the ManYoo treble.

http://www.football365.com/teams/manchester_united/story_108076.shtml

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
that article is qute true the United team of 2000 was probably better than the 99 team, obviously aided by the belief and confidence they got from the treble season and the fact the Arsenal fell away due to losing Anelka and having major changes upfront with a raw Henry and an old Suker arriving.

the difference between the 99 and 2000 team was the 2000 team didn't benefit from such amazing luck. :D

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
kingkobra83 said:
Damn, I couldn't attatch the pic....some1 help me n tell me how its done....or i could send u the pic n u can attach it urself............its basicly fergie's best 11, based on the votes of united fans from the official website.
dont attach, only can attach pics once a new thread is opened

however you can use the html command for linking a pic to here.. i think that should work, i saw someone do it.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Great Topic!! I like it...

my best united side?? shit, way too hard!! mine will be a makeshift 4-4-2 side with a few players in a somewhat different position.

GK- Schmeichel
dont think there were any other options really, the cream of the crop and perhaps Fergies best ever signing.

DL- Dennis Irwin
I guess it has too be Dennis. Mr reliable- never the fastest, most skilfull player but always gave his all for the shirt. Very smart and technically brilliant.

DR- Gary Neville
10 years of premiership football means i must put him in this team. It does highlight though that despite uniteds brilliant squads they have had, the defence has had frailities for yers.

DC- Bryan Robson
Normally a box to box midfield engine ive decided to place robbo at the back. His influence on a match was better than anyone ive ever known of and think at the back his vision and leadership would provide a great advantage.

DC- Gary Pallister
Better than Stam and a Man U player at heart. Almost was going with steve bruce but pally was the better option. A pretty slow centre pairing of robbo and pallister but the guts and determination of these 2 make up for any inadequacies (sp??)

ML- Ryan Giggs
Cant go past the flying welshman, Jesper Olsen was good in his position, as was Lee sharpe when he first burst onto the scene. But for every qaulity- longevity, star quality, impact and all round ability Giggsy could well be the best united player ever.

MR- David Beckham- synonymous with the united empire and also with the Golden period of the 90's. Giggs & Beckham were the 2 best wingers in europe, though having different styles with beckham crossing from deep and more prepared to play the ball around. The best crosser of a ball ive ever seen.

MC- Roy Keane
not a lot needs to be said, hasnt been at his best but statistics show united without Keane is a totally different side. A great signing for 3.75 million pounds in 1993 Keano has now spent a decade at united.

MC- Paul Ince
Beat out Mclair, scholes, Hughes all of which could play as an attacker or midfielder. Ince complements keano well although they didnt always play ther best football together. a passionate player who would fill the box to box work that robson would of done. Temperment is a problem ( as with a lot of the united side)

FC- Eric Cantona
Simply the Best Ever.

FC- Norman Whiteside
Picked norman as a centre forward merely for his ability to score goals and brilliant goals. Perhaps isnt the best partener for Eric as he would also drop off and like to play deeper. Relying on his goal scoring ability rather than his attacking superstardom. retired at 25 or 26 even fergie mentioned that Norman could have beent he best player to have ever played- if he wasnt injury proned and a piss head.

Subs: Barthez, Parker, Bruce, Hughes, Scholes, RVN.

im actually thinking bout withdrawing Whiteside from the RedSide and including Hughes

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Schmeichel - GK

Neville - RB
Bruce - CB
Pallister - CB
Irwin - LB

Kanchelskis - RM
Robbo - CM
Scholes - CM
Giggs - LM

Cantona - CF
RVN - CF

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
why not drop Ince and play Whiteside in midfield , thus freeing up room for Sparky ?

Ince was a big time charlie anyway , wasn't he ? :D

Good call Jern- you can be my assistant, all good managers need a reliable bloke on the side who is prepared to give the gaffer a tap on the shoulder :) also your duties will e to make sure the beers are cold and to ensure we have some Good sheilas for after the game .... no scousers or londoners:D ;)

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
you can have as many Sheila's as you like, i just want one London girl, that's right , Sonia from Eastenders on the bench to keep me company. ;)

they are my condtions.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
why not drop Ince and play Whiteside in midfield , thus freeing up room for Sparky ?

Ince was a big time charlie anyway , wasn't he ? :D
true, he was a bit of cnut, but I'd Robbo in Midfield over anyone...he's the best defensive midfielder Ive ever seen....better even than Keano:eek:

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
haha jern- im aussie though mate i dont watch east enders :)

ill stick to my heartthrobs from neighbours !!!!;) :tongue:

although i will be in england in approx 72 hours. Fly out on tuesday night aus time!!!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Welcome to the motherland Beechy................now when u get here, please don't annoy us, and try not to take all our women.;)

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
hahahahahaha ill try my best mate.

cant wait actually- show you englishman how to play cricket.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dont' forget about the supersub Solskjær!

Pav said:
Don't know if it has been done before on this forum but this is my top 11 from the Fergie yrs - what do u all think ???

Subs:
Barthez, Bruce, G Neville, Ince, Kanchelskis, Yorke, Cole
I think that when it comes to "Subs" you need to give some serious consideration to Ole Gunnar Solskjær. :star: Along with coming off the bench to score perhaps the biggest goal in Man.Utd. history in Barcelona five years ago :cool: , Ole has made many significant contributions to the success of Man. Utd. during the "Fergie Era." :strong:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts