Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
17,879 Posts
For me technique equals the touch you have on the ball. In passing Cassano could pull of some difficult things. Who would you put as the top 10 technical players ever?
If you would think of the distinction I made again, think of it this way: When you learn football, you learn to pass and to shoot, to dribble with the inside of the foot, and the outside of the foot. These are all "techniques" of football. You could theoretically be a beastly player if you ran two times faster than everyone else but that wouldn't be technique. Likewise, if your inside dribbling was so close and precise that the ball was glued to your foot and opponents couldn't take the ball without fouling you. That would be "dribbling."

Now imagine we look at technique again:
inside foot dribbling, outside foot dribbling, right foot inside pass, right foot outside pass, right foot volley pass, right foot back heel pass, left foot inside pass, left foot outside pass, left foot volley pass, left foot back heel, right foot curve shot, right foot outside shot, right foot direct power shot, same with the left, and so on. All these special techniques, Totti had mastered on a totally reproducible and precise level.

Cassano was exciting because he had a lot of flair and inventiveness, but he did not have the same technical arsenal as Totti.

·
Administrator
53,305 Posts
Reactions: camelface

·
Registered
17,879 Posts
Compare a good generational player to a legend at your own risk :D

Since we were also talking about Cassano...

One ruined at Real Madrid, the other never :proud:

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ9KpHq6z0s

@Ero @Ante

He came into best techniques of all time thread with just one Modric back heel pass, and not a whole arsenal of em. School him in the art of fanboying please :D

please try to pay attention, Žuti was my pick and I produced the most highlights in this entire thread with 3 videos totaling approximately 20 mins of skills & technique by Robi

@Ante is the one who mentioned Modrić, I merely replied with the recent UCL Skill of the Day tweet from this week about Luka vs Ajax... so your mic drop BS is not warranted in regards to me even though I am a huge fanboi of Luka!

Sorry to pwn / embarrass you like that but again you clearly aren't paying attention to the thread nor my contribution to it!

PS I am a big fan of Totti and think he certainly figures into this discussion

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
Ricky Otto, hipsters know

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
Stéphane Dalmat

·
1st Tier Poster
51,538 Posts
anyway, it's hard to say if the best players really have the best technique

random journeymen could beat top legends in technical skills and exercises but not in game situations

classic example (this TV show is pretty cool btw, I saw it like 15 years ago and really happy I found it on youtube):

CwLH7T6ouko

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
Lucas Goat Vasquez

21 - 40 of 79 Posts