• Release

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tending to be a little different as i am :rollani: :jester: :crazy:, i thought that for a band that has made many great songs :cool: across 6 studio albums (+ recreating a few more from other artists), i thought that we couls make a poll for each album (i.e Ten thru Binaural) and then get the most popular song from each album and create a poll to determine the best PJ song :excited:

I thought i'd better do this sooner or later before someone else created a PJ poll :D :tongue:

For the first album, Ten (their biggest selling album), i included all the songs, but barring a major uproar, i thing we can leave songs such as f***ed-up mop from Vitalogy out :D

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
What a wounderful idea Andreas :proud: My biggest problem is that I like almost every Pearl Jam song from any of their albums(apart from those 3-4 songs like Stupid Mop that are made just for fun) and find it extremely difficult to actually choose a song.

As a fan that has listened almost equally much to each album, it would also be incredibly difficult to choose between the albums, and to compare the songs from different albums, although I imagine that Ten(and maybe VS) will create the biggest interest here at Xtratime, since they were the most commercial, the biggest selling, and the ones that made the band famous.

I read once early in their career that for non Pearl Jam fans going to a concert with them, they would wait for Jeremy and Alive since they were the msot famous songs, fans would wait for Black since it by many was considered to be the best song on the first album, and really dedicated fans would wait for Porch, since that was when the band truly took out their best and Eddie Vedder often jumped the most around the stage, and sometimes even jumping into the audience.

I love every song on Ten, and could never really choose a favourite. But on the compilations I have made through time, Black has been the most featured song...so for an amazing lyric, and an incredibly beautiful melody, my vote goes to Black.....I only wish I could vote for every song :)

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand you reasons 100% Orange, and i know that you are a big fan, and indeed PJ is your favourite band.

I know it is hard to compare albums since each one is different (especially true of Pearl Jam :proud: ), but its more of a fun and curiousity satisfying poll, and with a few other "real" music fans here such as Red, Lav, Deniz etc...., the most popular song overall may be a surprise :hopefull:

The other reason for which i decided to split the songs up by albums is because if u look at the RHCP's poll, you will find that they have songs from many of their albums, and having so many songs on one poll makes it cluttered and even harder to make an informed decision .

Black was actually the first Pearl Jam song i ever heard (unfortunately music seemed to bypass me during the early teenage years :embarass: :doh: :eek: ). It was a great song, with like you said a great melody, and also a great guitar solo towards the end (as in Alive). It made me interested in PJ, but didn't get me hooked.

Then i heard "Alive" on the radio, and this was the song that got me very interested in the band's music. For some reason, the opening to Alive made me think of Silverchair for some reason :wth: :confused:, but comparing them to PJ is like putting the egg before the chicken :D.

But the song that made me a true fan was "EvenFlow". I can't explain what it is about this song i like, but it has a catchy tune, cool lyrics and awesome instrumental work (particularly guitar).
I've heard many more PJ songs since them, and i will not say if it is my all-time favourite (not yet anyway ;) ), especially since my PJ favourites often change :undecide: ), but it is my favourite song from Ten, closely followed by the rest of the Album, most notebly Once (for those great opening riffs - a great way to start an Album), Black, and Jeremy :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Definitelly Black, I loved the song since the first time I heard it. This is my Favourite Pearl Jam song, it connects me with my love :heart: , and gives me a great feeling. :)

All the songs in Ten are great, almost all Pearl Jam songs have something wounderful about them, and Orange, ten is NOT the only pj album I like :tongue:

From what I read, I think I am not a non fan, not a really dedicated fan, but just a fan, since if I go to a pj concert, I would wait for Black, and not for Alive or Jeremy, or Porch :D

But as Orange said, it is hard to choose :)

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
I voted for Black, and Jeremy was my second favorite song:)

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
cristina said:

From what I read, I think I am not a non fan, not a really dedicated fan, but just a fan, since if I go to a pj concert, I would wait for Black, and not for Alive or Jeremy, or Porch :D
Well, that was talking about 1992-1993...now I would expect Pearl Jam fans to want to hear new songs, or Binaural songs most.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Orange said:

Well, that was talking about 1992-1993...now I would expect Pearl Jam fans to want to hear new songs, or Binaural songs most.
Of course, but since this polls is about Ten, I was just refering to the songs from this album :)

·
Registered
15,948 Posts
PJ are one of my favourite bands of all time and to be honest most of my favourite songs are on Ten - its just hard rock in one of its purest and best forms.

I love pretty much every song on there, especially Once, Evenflow, Alive, Garden and Oceans.

My favourite's gotta be Evenflow though, one of my favourite songs of all time. Great riff, great lyrics great solo - everything you want from a good hard rock song.

Jeremy was the song that really struck me when Ten first came out but I'm not such a huge fan of it anymore.

I have to also say that I think Mike McCreedy's role in the band has become much smaller since this album. Really not an awful lot of lead guitar on the following albums although he has some great stuff on Binaural.

BTW truly excellent idea for a topic Andreas. :cool:

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the votes and explanations guys (and gal :D )

But ONLY 5 votes!!!!!! :wth: :rollani:. I thought this band was one of the biggest (if not the biggest) rock act on the planet at one time, yet out of all the song polls, has the most votes. :frustrat:

On this form, I wonder how many votes a No Code poll will get :nervous: :D

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I voted for "Black" with "Oceans" as a second. But don't underestimate "Porch". Great showstopper! :eek: :) And when the polls for "No Code" and "Yield" come around, give me a holler then, please. Thx. :)

greetz,
binswhacker

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I love the album. It's just one of those albums that have every song in it worth listening, you know?

Though I like all the songs in that album, I have to say that "Black" is my favorite. Everytime I hear it, I feel so dark and.... black.

Any PJ's fan here heard of their cover version of The Beatles' "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away"? Eddie Veder, with his voice as always, brought soul to that song. I've listened to the original version, and personally, I think that the cover version is bettter.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Menul said:
I love the album. It's just one of those albums that have every song in it worth listening, you know?

Though I like all the songs in that album, I have to say that "Black" is my favorite. Everytime I hear it, I feel so dark and.... black.

Any PJ's fan here heard of their cover version of The Beatles' "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away"? Eddie Veder, with his voice as always, brought soul to that song. I've listened to the original version, and personally, I think that the cover version is bettter.
Where can I find that version, menul? Is it a b-side or on a live record/bootleg? :confused: Thx! :)

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
It is completely new binswhacker and can be found on the "I am Sam" soundtrack.

As for great Beatles songs....try listening to Blackbird...beautiful :)

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Why do i always come across these topics late?:)As some may know,my favorite band is Pearl Jam,along with Pink Floyd,and I've been listening to them for 8-9 years.And I can tell you,when I first listened to them,(as a non-fan) my favorite songs were Alive,jeremy and even flow.As the years went by,and I became more of a fan,Black started taking over,as did Porch.And today,those 2 are prolly my favorite Pearl Jam songs from any album.I realize this when I see I have more than 15 different versions of Blac downloaded from the internet and some more in the bootlegs,and Porch follows with around 10 different versions.Too bad they didnt do Porch in many of the bootlegs.:(.SO I think Oranje's assesment is spot on about getting to like these 2 songs better as you become more of a fan.

I remember reading a long time ago that Sony was going absolutely crazy to promote Black,but Eddie Vedder was having difficulty handling the fame and he would absolutely not agree to it.I think if it was promoted,Black would have been one of the most famous songs of the past decade.

This album is so great,its hard to choose a fav,and I will not be unfair on the other songs by voting for any of them.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Orange said:
It is completely new binswhacker and can be found on the "I am Sam" soundtrack.

As for great Beatles songs....try listening to Blackbird...beautiful :)
Oh, I got my copy of the white album lying at home, orange. ;) :eek: With so many clssics I can't name them all right now, but you know which ones I mean: Julia, Helter Skelter, Back In The Ussr, Dear Prudence,...

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
Last Kiss is a cover song(not written by Pearl Jam) and I don't think it will appear in any of the polls, further this is a poll for the Ten album, and Last Kiss was not on the Ten album at all, but was recorded and released as a single about seven years after.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts