Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an idea i got from the newcastle forum. What's the best save you've ever seen on live TV (no penalties plz)??

Unfortunately my two best saves go involve Man Utd. Both were when ManU played Inter in the CL quater finals a few years back.

#1: In the first leg, Andy Cole's click from Beckham's long cross initally wrongfoots Pagliuca but he somehow manages to stretch out his left leg and nick the ball wide. Unbelievable

#2: Second leg a floating left wing cross meets an unmarked diving Ivan Zamorano at the back post. He sends a bullet header from very close towards the Utd goal. Schemicel extends his body like a starfish and manages to paw the ball away. Maybe this isn't the most physically difficult save I've seen, but I just remember being so sure the ball was going in and amazed that it didn't.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Banks!

For me, the best save ever was Gordon Banks vs. Pelé in World Cup '70. Pelé heads the ball with precision and power to Banks' lower right side, the ball is almost in, then the British goalie jumps back, to the apparently-unreachable lower corner, and defends. :eekani:

When I had the chance of seeing the entire game, it made a bigger impression on me that it had made when I saw the selected footage. Because the assist is perfect, the header is perfect and you swear it's going in; and yet Banks avoids it. Because this save was more than perfect.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
It's a cliché, but Banks' save from Pelé was the greatest of all time. If Pelé thought that it was going in, then even Banks must have - but he still pulled off a magnificent save.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Banks' save was the best save ever I reckon...

But I love Seaman's save from Sunderland's Gary Rowett in 1991 in the penultimate game of the season at Roker Park. It was a gritty 0-0 draw on our way to our second chamionship under George Graham. We couldn't afford to lose, and Sunderland were desperate for the win to avoid relegation...

In the 85th minute, Rowett played a one-two just outside our penalty area, receiving the ball perfectly onto his right instep just outside the D. He curled a first-time shot towards Seaman's top left-hand corner and it looked all the world like a goal... but Seaman dived full length to the ball and tipped it around the post with his left hand... It was a muddy, rainy day and that made the save look even better... Seaman was a rock that year, his first season with us.... memories....:cool:

We clinched the championship the following week after Liverpool lost to Nottingham Forest and we were Champions before we stepped on to the field to play Manchester United at Highbury that same evening.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Any save made by Andy Kopke and Dave Seaman at Euro 96 ... they were superhuman at that tourney ... throw in Marcos' save from Neuville in the recent WC2002 final and anything by Schmeichel during his green-shirted days at Man U ... I can't remember any one particular save apart from that - there's too many superhuman saves these days that goalkeepers are just expected to make - but I do concur Banks' save from Pele was breathtaking.

There is one save I do remember and rate higher than any other however, but it wasn't by a goalkeeper - it was by a centre-half named Martin Keown. The game was the FA Cup Final a few years ago and Super Al was just about to pull the trigger and score from point-blank range for us, but Keown came out of nowhere and cleanly took the ball away from behind.

I couldn't believe it ... :depress:

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
the lob over wrights head in the charlton against arsenal match.
lol
ohhhh the best save?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Dyertribe, you've got me confused - I can't remember that Keown tackle... I can only remember Keown stumbling, letting Shearer in only for Big Al to hit the inside of the post.... :confused:

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
He picked his pocket when the game was 2-0 to you lot ... Keown came out of nowhere and made that tackle ... Shearer just stood there like he'd just witnessed the second coming. ..

·
Registered
70 Posts
ONE OF THE BEST SAVES I EVER SAW WAS ALEX MANNINGER
AGAINNST WEST HAM IN FA CUP QUATER FINAL REPLAY,goin top corner but he saved it with his left hand sum how.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I remember that save, and that game. Manninger made some incredible saves in the 1998 run-in. Wimbledon, Bolton, Man Utd... none of those teams could get the better of him.

It was such a shame that he never fulfilled his potential.

·
Registered
70 Posts
its a pity and we only sold him for about 1 million ana he was the 2nd best keaper in italy last year----------we shud have got more for him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts