Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.Jari Litmanen-this guy is a magician.A true classic playmaker.He has undoubtedly got the best vision and though a playmaker he can score a lot of goals.If you build your team around Litmanen nothing can stop you. 10

2:Zinedine Zidane-lacks that final vision that Litmanen has and is a bit overrated.Zidane is a strong lad and he has good ball control but often it takes him too much time to pass. 9

3.Recoba-recoba is a lot like maradona.A great dribbler and a ok playmaker.He's great in one on ones but hasn't got that vision or passing skill that a truly great playmaker should have. 8 1/2

4.Totti-sooooooooo overrated!!!! he lacks skill and vision. Only the italians think he's great but they are so blinded... oh serie a is the best league in the world and totti's the best player of all time...bullsh!t!!!!! totti should wear a dress coz every time he's touched he falls down like a lady. 6-

5:Rui Costa-injured again!!!! never makes those key passes and simply lacks the vision....Milan's about to flush the toilet and the question goes,which team will get 20mil£ worth of sh*t. 6-

give me your thoughts :)

Kind regards,

Adebisi

·
Registered
151 Posts
First of all I have to admit that this is a great thread. It has been too long since last good thread was made in here, too many glory hunters I think. If you want my opinion on these playmakers well here it is.
1. Jari Litmanen. As a legendary Ajax player said he´s Merlin the magician! His vision is by far the best in the world, he can find the strikers at the right moment. He also has the ability to score and win the games by himself. Watch him dribbling in the Leverkusen game and then netting the ball. Fantastic I say. I have the utmost respect towards him. 10
2. Zinedine Zidane. As Adebisi said he´s a bit overrated. He´s propably one of the best but I think too that he likes the ball too much. Too often he keeps the ball to himself even though a co-player is in better position. Soft touch but a little bit behind Litmanen. Maybe the difference is in their character. Litmanen is captain material while Zidane is not. 10-
3.Alvaro Recoba. Frankly, I haven´t seen much of him. I saw a few games last season when he played so my impression of him is scarce. What I saw was that he´s a good dríbbler and likes to run a lot with the ball, but maybe he´s too a bit selfish, seems to be quite eager to shoot. Though a good prospect for future. 8
4. Francesco Totti. Totally agree with Adebisi that he must be one of the most overrated players in the world along with Owen. He´s way too selfish, slow, shoots more than scores and that most irritating characteristic: dives all the time. Every time a defender gets on his way he falls. His ego has grown up thanks to those stupid Italian Roma and nt fans who consider him a god. He does so little on the field and still he´s considered one of the best. Well maybe you Italians have a need for a super hero, I´d choose Del Piero over him any day. 5
5. Manuel Rui Costa. Formed a deadly duo with Batistuta in Florence but has vanished from earth after his move to Milan. Has great skills, no one can deny that, but he´s a glass leg so does speak. I hope he returns from the shadow lands and shows a piece of his true character. 7

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
I would nominate Pires for this category, and drop Litmanen an Recoba from the list. Litmanen was a world-class player, but he isn't now! Even as an Inter fan, I have to say that Recoba isn't that good. Compared to Pires, he's nothing. Maybe that says more about Pires than it does about Recoba, though...

·
Registered
879 Posts
Fine, but what about:

valeron and riquelme

I dont think players like figo and veron count in this because they are a little too offensive, even though they 'playmake'

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I'm afraid I can nothing but disagree with some of Adebisi's points.

Litmanen has great vision, passing skills and is a good scorer but he lacks pace and defensive abilities. And as far as I remember, even in his best years spent in Ajax, he played more of a support striker rather than classical playmaker. Let me remind you that he has been a regular starter neither in Barca nor in Liverpool. Why was that?...

I also think that Adebisi has dropped a brick with Recoba. He is a support striker or left winger, but never a playmaker... He's got great potential, good dribbling and shooting skills, but this statement has gone much too far. He lacks passing and defensive skills and he's too selfish on the pitch.

It's still Zidane who tops my list. Perhaps it's because I simply love his tricks or due to fact that I admire players of excellent skills who are also capable of working hard on the pitch.

I would add to this list Veron (despite his difficulties at Old Trafford), Valeron (brilliant games in Deportivo), and perhaps Ballack and Gerard (although these two will never be a classical playmakers either).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Litmanen was never given a chance in Barca. At that time when Jari was in Barcelona there also played the likes of Guardiola, Xavi and Rivaldo. Guardiola as a captain has certain place in the starting eleven Rivaldo too coz he can score a lot. And lets remind us of a point Barca always feels to prefer home town boys at the cost of other luminaries. That was Jari´s case too. In terms of Liverpool it seems that there´s no place in their starting eleven for Jari coz they have no place to put him. Their tacic is based on strong defense and long ball for Heskey or Owen. None of these playmakers would fit in this kind of tactic. Liverpools behaviour towards Litmanen has been outrageous. Many former players and coaches have over and over again said that they don´t understand this kind of humiliation and that if Litmanen had played more they could have reached higher.
And to that stupid jerk who doen´t consider Litmanen a classical playmaker I have to say: what in the blue hell do you know about football then? Litmanen not a true playmaker, shame on you.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
. And as far as I remember, even in his best years spent in Ajax, he played more of a support striker rather than classical playmaker. Let me remind you that he has been a regular starter neither in Barca nor in Liverpool. Why was that?...

When Litmanen was in Ajax he played in the Ajax no. 10 spot, which is the place for the playmaker. when Litmanen was in Barcelona Rivaldo wanted to play in the centre but van gaal preferred Litmanen in the centre. why? coz Litmanen's the best there is.

As much as i like pires i think he's a winger but he also creates a lot of play. He's in the same category as Figo,giggs...... not a classic playmaker like Litmanen.

Valeron is good,but Veron is really overrated unlike Litmanen.

Kind regards,

Adebisi

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
And to that stupid jerk who doen´t consider Litmanen a classical playmaker I have to say: what in the blue hell do you know about football then? Litmanen not a true playmaker, shame on you.

Settle down, kid. You were twelve years old when Litmanen won the CL with Ajax. He wasn't a playmaker as far as I understand this position on the pitch. I've always admired Jari and have great respect for him, but I simply disagree that he's still the best midfielder all over the world. Are you unable to understand such simple information?... Try to convince me if you can instead of writing texts like the one above.

When Litmanen was in Ajax he played in the Ajax no. 10 spot, which is the place for the playmaker. when Litmanen was in Barcelona Rivaldo wanted to play in the centre but van gaal preferred Litmanen in the centre. why? coz Litmanen's the best there is.

Number 10 doesn't have to be a playmaker. For me a playmaker is a player who plays as a central midfielder - that's why I cross out players like Rivaldo (he's a support striker for me) or Figo (winger), even though they wear 10.

Anyway, I see your point, but you must admit that Litmanen wasn't successful in Barca at all.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
I hereby nominate Brazilian Playmaker TOSTAO as the BEST ever to step in a football pitch.

:cool:

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
To those who think tTotti is overrated watch his game against Lazio.

Other great playmakers: Veron Valeron, Zidane, Rosicky, Pär Zetterberg, the fabulous alin stoica :star: and in a good day the best of them al Alexander Mostovoi :eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Number 10 doesn't have to be a playmaker. For me a playmaker is a player who plays as a central midfielder - that's why I cross out players like Rivaldo (he's a support striker for me) or Figo (winger), even though they wear 10.
no 10 doesn't mean that a player is a playmaker but obviously you don't know that Ajax uses the same tactic from the junior levels all the way to the mens level. So in that formation that Ajax then had the no 10 player played as a playmaker behind the forwards. that position is attacking central midfield.

To those who think tTotti is overrated watch his game against Lazio.
I saw it and he didn't impress me. Totti is a real donkey.
:howler:

Kind regards,

Adebisi

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Adebisi said:

I saw it and he didn't impress me.
:dazed:

We are talking about the same game here are we :confused:. The first half he was more than sublime. The best 45 I've seen from any player the past season.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
no 10 doesn't mean that a player is a playmaker but obviously you don't know that Ajax uses the same tactic from the junior levels all the way to the mens level. So in that formation that Ajax then had the no 10 player played as a playmaker behind the forwards. that position is attacking central midfield.

Everything's fine. I just see a slight difference between attacking midfielder and playmaker. I may be wrong but it's because I'm attached to this old understanding of playmaker position on the pitch.

By the way, who wears 10 at Ajax today?

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
I think Wamberto plays there for the moment; amthough I don't think Ajax is playing the same system as they did under Van Gaal. Adriaanse, but also Koeman changed it to a more defensive strategy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you see it impossible that an attacking midfielder can´t be a playmaker then you have to conclude in your defensive midfielder playmaker categorie also the likes of Paul Ince, Didi Hamann, David Batty and other such pearls of the game. Attacking midfielder doesn´t have to mean that the player plays all the time upfront. Take for example the Finnish nt, Litmanen plays the playmaker behind the strikers, but he usually runs to the midfield to get the ball, he has a free role so does speak. I think that a playmaker is what the name states a player who makes play. It has to be a central midfielder that´s for sure! It depends, but Litmanen is a playmaker and no one can deny that, call mr. Van Gaal if you find it so hard to believe. Btw your beloved Zidane is an ATTACKING midfielder so I guess he ain´t a playmaker, right?

Totti is the most overrated and a good game every once in a while doesn´t mean anything. According to his wage he´s even obliged to make good performances. I really can´t see what you Italians see in that poos?:D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Couldnt agree more about Zidane.
Concerning vision there is alot of players way better than him.
He not good at making the last pass, and verey often slows down the pace.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Has anyone even mentioned....DENNIS BERGKAMP? Hes maybe not as good as he used to be......but he is one hell of a playmaker.......pity he doesnt play for the dutch anymore..

:cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Has anyone even mentioned....DENNIS BERGKAMP? Hes maybe not as good as he used to be......but he is one hell of a playmaker.......pity he doesnt play for the dutch anymore..
I totally agree with you. Bergkamp is definetily better than Zidane and as good as Litmanen.

BTW. Zidane's trademark dribble is a rip of from Bergkamp.

Kind regards,

Adebisi

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
gOD said:
I think Wamberto plays there for the moment; amthough I don't think Ajax is playing the same system as they did under Van Gaal. Adriaanse, but also Koeman changed it to a more defensive strategy.
Ajax has played without a real #10 since Vd Vaart got injured earlier this season. Koeman then first switched back to a 4-3-3 with a defensive midfielder in the middle and since PSV he has switched to a 4-4-2 with two defensive players in the middle. Next year Ajax should return though to a 4-3-3 with the # 10 restored.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts