Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
1st Turkey

2nd Spain

3rd Brazil

Maybe also South Korea, but I really didn't like the way they went through in the match against Spain.

·
Registered
47,277 Posts
1- South Korea
2- Turkey
3- Senegal
32- Italy

Just as regards the way they played.....

·
Registered
461 Posts
1...brasil...by far

2...germany...they made it this far for a reason

3...turkey...played with lots of heart...unlucky to brasil twice

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
no surprises from me:

1. Brazil
2. Turkiye
3. Ireland

who would have thought that 1 month ago ?

;)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Team Rankings

These are my team rankings. They ARE NOT a representation of how good the teams are but HOW WELL THEY HAVE DONE GIVEN THE ABILITY THAT THEY HAVE. Nothing personal here and no offense meant. These just reflect my opinions.

1.Brazil
2.Turkey & Germany
3.-------
4.Belgium
5.South Korea
6.Senegal
7.Spain
8.Ireland
9.USA
10.England
11.Japan
12.mexico
13.Paraguay
14.Sweden
15.Uruguay
16.Italy
17.Costa Rica
18.Argentina
19.Russia
20.Denmark
21.Croatia
22.Poland
23.South Africa
24.Slovenia
25.Cameroon
26.Nigeria
27.Ecuador
28.Tunisia
29.China
30.Portugal
31.France
32.Saudi Arabia

·
Registered
411 Posts
These teams are ranked by the way I thought they played in the World cup considering how well they were expected to do.For eg: I rank Ireland above england because they surprised me with their great level of play.
1.Brazil
2.Turkey
3.Germany
4.Korea
5.Spain
6.USA
7.Senegal
8.Ireland
9.England
10.Belgium
11.Mexico
12.japan
13.Sweden
14.Denmark
15.Italy
16.paraguay

·
Registered
765 Posts
1. Turkey
2. Brasil
3. Spain

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Top 5

1- Brazil
2- Senegal
3- Korea
4- Turkey
5- Germany

The most disappointing team by far was France. :)

And Senegal is there because they lost on a bad day, but they played football of the highest quality.

And Germany is 5th because I think they were very, very lucky - not only because of the opponents they did face, but also for the ones they didn't face: Korea took out Italy and France, two teams I think could beat Germany.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Re: Team Rankings

gautam said:
These are my team rankings. They ARE NOT a representation of how good the teams are but HOW WELL THEY HAVE DONE GIVEN THE ABILITY THAT THEY HAVE. Nothing personal here and no offense meant. These just reflect my opinions.

Gautam,
USing your criteria or how well they have done given their ability that they have, i think the team that got the best with their ability has to be Germany, then Korea and Turkey. Germany because this is arguably the worst German Team ever in a WC, Korea because no one would have dared to put a lira on them prior to the beginning of the WC. Turkey, despite not being favorite, i wasn't really surprised by their great run as they do have a pretty good team.

Brasil, eventough this is one of the weakest Brasilian teams in recent memories ( the worst maybe the one of Lazaroni in 90), they still have too many great players to be considered in the same rank as Korea or Germany.

However, using the same criteria of how good they did given their ability, I would put France dead last. It's a total shame to do what they did with their super-powerful squad star-studded.

Just my thoughts.:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Of no particular order, but my three choices are:

1. Brazil
-Crappy defense but makes up for it with a very solid attack.

2. Germany
-Lots of injuries, tends to live on the edge with the way they play but they are very consistent in their wins and are solid in all areas.

3. Spain
-Suffers from a bad tactics, lack of pace yet have won consistently in all their games, except for that controversial game against Korea. Did not deserve to get eliminated in such a way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1.) Brazil
- Proved that they can keep a clean sheet though Hakan Sukur was a big help. :rolleyes:

2.) Germany
- Good organization, conceeded only 1 goal and also scored a couple of goals as well.

3.) Spain
- Good midfield and I was impressd by their wing-play. Suprisingly not that shaky in defense (got a clean sheat against Korea and only conceeded 1 goal through a penalty against Ireland). The performance of Puyol in right-back and Helguera in central defence (occassionally) are the reasons that Spain had extra steel at the back. Great attack in Raul and Morientes who have good understanding of each other.

4.) Turkey

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
A few outstanding one (in no particular order):

Korea.
Most importantly, they played as a TEAM. Well, what do you expect when you got 6 months to prepare and gel together for the WC? A result. Not to mention at least two in the squad play football part-time together with some veterans.

Turkey.
Ah! It's just too bad they lost against Brazil. Because from my view, they were the better side last night. The outsider of European football finally arrived.

Ireland.
With all the internal conflict (Robbie Keane's), they managed to go very far. And played some very oustanding game. Very good in my POV.

USA.
Kill-the-opponent-in-first-10-minutes. Create the chaos and panic, and let the opponents made the mistakes. And your job is done. Scary tactics, but it works, and it gets result. Damm didn't see that one coming.

ciao!

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
1) Denmark:good attacking football, unfortunately Sorensen messed up in the first minutes against England. Otherwise this would have been a very different game

2) Brazil: Rivaldo is the most selfish and overrated player ever, but along with Ronaldo and the fantastic Ronaldinho it is a dream to watch. Still i think this isn't a team that under normal circumstances has a chance on a WC. They don't have balance at all

3) Turkey: a team with balance, technique and tacktical iontelligence. If only Sukur had been wise enough to stay at Galatasaray or a foreign team of his level (not Serie A he just isn't good enough for that) and had ritme they could have won this tournament I think.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
gOD said:
1) Denmark:good attacking football, unfortunately Sorensen messed up in the first minutes against England. Otherwise this would have been a very different game
Actually, I think Sweden were way more impressive than Denmark. I consider Sweden x Senegal to be one of the best games of the tournament and I was sad a team like Sweden had to leave because as a team they were much better than many teams in the quarters.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Sabry said:

Actually, I think Sweden were way more impressive than Denmark. I consider Sweden x Senegal to be one of the best games of the tournament and I was sad a team like Sweden had to leave because as a team they were much better than many teams in the quarters.
Yeah Sweden have been very impressive and so have Denmark. Both teams were in a tough group. Sweden's might be tougher on paper, but when Nigeria and Argentina put those effords in I rate Denmark's group tougher. Senegal and Uruguray, who both are under Nigeria and Argentina played way better and made the group very hard to go through from.

Sweden's results: 1-1 England, 2-1 Nigeria, 1-1 Argentina. That's impressive.

Denmark's results: 2-1 Uruguray, 1-1 Senegal, 2-0 France. That's impressive too.

THe two countries reminds a lot of each other playing wise. We both managed to go through from two very tough groups and even beating favourites on the way.

I would say, although we only made it to the last 16, that it has been a great World Cup for both countries. But the team effords from Turkey, Senegal, USA and (Snyd) Korea have been more impressive though. Nobody counted on them to go that far. I honestly think we could expect that from both Sweden and Denmark. But it wasn't to be as we all know ;).

We'll be back at Euro 2004!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts