Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your opinion? Who's been juventus' greatest player?

1. M. Platini (Zizou reminds me of him)
2. R. Baggio (His days in juve were amazing! Still is our toppscorer for the club)
3. R. Bettega (Best wingback ever, he was Maldini's idol to)

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
I'm pretty sure Bettega was a striker.

We must not forget Scirea. He was a sweeper (died tragically in a crash in Poland while scouting) and won 6 scudetto's with Juve, was an Italian regular, captained both sides and NEVER got a yellow or red card in serie A!!!

Otherwise I would have to say that Platini is obviously the biggest. He had the ability of Zizou, but was also the topscorer of serie A for 3 consecutive years AND European player of the year all 3.

Ciao.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Platini all the way...

Not even a yellow card? wow...I knew Juve always controled the refs but this goes way too much...

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
AMO; You promised.... :).

OK- Having investigated the situatio I admit that I exagurated. the thing is that he was never sent off, and never got a day of suspension, so it was VERY rare that he got booked as well.

Anyway- like you use to say to me: YOU HAVEN'T SEEN HIM PLAY!. I have, and I've seen video with him as well. He was simply the image of fairness. He was always playing it by the book. Obviously he comitted fouls like everybody else, but there was never anything vicious about him.
Once I saw a striker from Bologna (don't remember the name) twist his knee outside the penalty area in a solo accident. Schirea carried him to their bench....
This was just who he was. There was nothing negative about him whatsoever.
That's why old Juve fans will still get misty when his tragic death is brought up.

For all of you who ae either too young or just doesn't know the legend of Scirea here is the article from the official site:

SCIREA, A CLASS ACT
01/09/1999

Was he a player gentleman or a gentleman player? Without a shadow of a doubt, he was both.
Ten years ago, on September 3, 1989, it was announced that Gaetano Scirea (who had been sent to Poland by then Juventus coach Dino Zoff to watch the Bianconeri's UEFA Cup opponents) had been killed in a road accident. A piece of Juventus went with him, and a model professional and a man who was well-liked by all who had met him was no more.

Born in Cernusco sul Naviglio on May 25, 1953, Scirea started out at Atalanta, making his Serie A debut at Cagliari on September 24, 1972. He moved to Juventus during the 1974-75 season and immediately made the number six shirt his own, going on to wear it 552 times in official matches, scoring 23 goals in Serie A and winning 14 trophies. Of those, seven were league titles (the first in 1975 and the last in 1986), two Coppa Italia (1979 and 1983), one UEFA Cup (1977), one Cup-Winners Cup (1984), one European Super Cup (1984), one European Cup (1985) and one Intercontinental Cup (1985). He won everything with class and courtesy, he was almost afraid to hog too much of the limelight. He was never sent off in his career nor was he ever suspended or involved in any kind of ugly scene.

He was the defensive pillar of the national side who, in 1982, were crowned world champions: the classic icing on the cake of an inimitable career, which he experienced alongside his great friend and team-mate, Dino Zoff. Scirea was a free spirit on the pitch, a shining star who was capable of pushing forward with infinite elegance and also of scoring goals. He played with his head held high, always abiding by the rules, one of few players who, having practically always worn the black-and-white striped shirt of Juventus, was well-liked by all those who loved football. Juventus' vice-president, Roberto Bettega said the following words about his friend: "Ten years on from his death the memory of a great friend is still alive, a roommate for five years with whom I experienced disappointment and joy, bitterness and victory that all contributed to his fame as a star player on the international scene. When I think of him, as an official, in the name of Juventus and my staff, I dearly miss a great friend who has left behind a huge hole."

The club has done what is right and proper by dedicating to Scirea the end where their most fervent supporters gather. He was a clean fighter, capable of transmitting confidence and strength at the same time. On the evening of the Heysel Stadium tragedy in Brussels in May 1985, it was Scirea who spoke on the microphone to try to calm the thousands of people traumatised by what was happening. And a few days ago, just minutes after kick-off between Juve and Reggina on the opening day of the season at the Delle Alpi, the stands were filled with cries of his name, "Gaetano Scirea". Just like when he would emerge, head held high, from the tunnel of the old Stadio Comunale.

Now that's a story that sends shivers down my spine.

Ciao.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
I feel that Zidane has done more for this team than Baggio ever did. I feel that he brings not only titles but he brings a level of skill to the game that few others do. Watching him is like watching an artist paint a picture. You don't know what to expect from him but all of a sudden he has produced something of true beauty. I don't want to compare him to Platini but i feel that some day the comparisons have to come. He has won it all except for that European Cup and the Euro Championsip that he is about to win but i guess that one doesn't have much to do with Juve. What i am trying to say is that this guy after he is done playing will have to be looked back at as one of the greatest this world has ever seen and surely near the top of Juve's history.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
3 yellow cards = one game out

Are you telling me that he never got more than 2 yellow cards per season? and a DEFENDER?

Look,I dont doubt his fairness and all and the guy was boviusly pure class.But there is no way I'm going to accept that he didnt do a little something,3 little somethings to get 3 yellow cards...a defender,and a brilliant defender like him plays all the time,is it possible to have a career without 3 lets say late tackles in one year?

No,Glen,no way I'm gonna accept this is possible without something...I'm not saying that he did anything on purpose,but can you believe that defender who rarely missed a game didnt do 3 bookable actions for all this years!

Sorry,either the guy was fully protected by the refs because of his great character or something else is wrong...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope Glen, I KNOW Bettega was a wing-back! Pretty sure about it! :) Maldini was his favourite, and Maldini wanted to be as good as him, alas a good back! :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man didnt know about him. I know most of the juventini. Anyways, great article! Yeah, really sends shivers down my spppiiiinne..

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wuupz, he really was a striker.. :/
I hate to be wrong about things. He's the player who has scored most goals for Juve in the european cups. He has scored 27 goals. Follwing him are R. Baggio and Anastasi 22goals each. Then Platini with 19.

M

·
0 Posts
I happen to know a bit about Platini, Glen. Platini is good goal scorer as you said, but his skills don't come close to Zidane. Ball control, dribbling, is all zidane. Unlike zidane however, platini was a true leader. Saying Platini is Zidane+goals is unfair statement. As for who contributed more to Juve, Platini all the way.

Take baggio out of that list ramy. Del Piero, Zidane, Peruzzi, and conte gave more to Juve in modern years, let alone in history of juve. If he is among you favorite Juve players ever, well that's a diffrent story.

Forza Juve

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Baggio was the reason I fell in LUWW with Juventus :) That's why he's on my list. We all have our own opinion dont we?

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Ramy; Hehe :).

Mirro; Yeah- I know what you mean- Zizou's wizardry is unparralelled when he's on song, but Platini was as you said a leader and was constantly great while Zizou has occasional dead periods. No matter how significant Zizou is ti France and Juve- Platini's influence was bigger, and as of right now I have those two players in the top of my list.

AMO; It's actually not 3 yellow cards. You have to collect 4 and after the first suspension it's only 3 (as far as my memory goes). But you will have to consider that it's been a long time since Scirea played, and it's very likely that the rules were different back then (mid 70's- mid 80's).
There's been alot of focus on fair play and both UEFA and FIFA has campaigned against violent and unfair play which means that the disciplinary actions taken are now harder.
I can't be adamant about this as I don't know if I'm right, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't as strict back then.
Just remember that some players are different than others.
I know it's pecualiar considering Gaetano Scirea was a defender, but to mention another player- Michael Laudrup.
He got ONE yellow card throughout his professional carrier. He played with Lazio, Juve, Barca, Real, Kobe in his one season in Japan before finishing with the doubble in AJAX.
That card came in his last professional game against Brazil in the WC 98.
That's immaculate as well.

Ciao.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Even if the rules were different I cant believe that a defender in the glory age of catenaccio didnt receive a few yellow cards no matter how great and fair he was.Come on Glen,dont tell you find this normal...

Michael Laudrup was an offencive midfielder/forward who was hardly marking or complaining to the refs.Its something extra-ordinary as well but not even close to that...

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
I thought Bettega is one of Juve's top goal scorers. If he is a wingback, he must of attacked a lot. I think Platini, Baggio and Scirea. Especially Scirea. I read that he never once got sent off or missed a game. Glen's right. He was freakish.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
AMO; you're pissing me off now. So it would be protection just for him ? Other Juve players were sent off reglarly, but the refs. said "Oh no- It's Scirea- we can't do that. He's such a nice person".
Before you choose not to accept my explanantions, try to find an older man who have seen him play and knows the story. I'm not saying I do, but my father played a sweeper in his days, and his favourite player of all times were Beckenbauer and Scirea. He was the one who introduced him to me while I was about 6 years old, and he is the one who has provided videofootage of some of his performances.

Glory age of Catenaccio- come on. 1975-1985 my friend. Catenaccio was reinvented in the 60's and this period (1975-1985) was not one of catenaccio.
That doesn't matter though, but if you will use it as an argument in this case I'll have to turn it down.
I'm completely aware that Laudrup's situation cannot be compared to Scirea's- I was just pointing out that some guys behave differently than others. No matter how you look at it- when you've been in 5 different countries , won 8 domestic championships with Broendby, Juventus, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Ajax, played European matches and internationals and only received one yellow card in your last professional appearance it tells something about you as a person. Not only about the position on the field.

Well- I suppose you can think whatever you want :(.

Ciao.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Well, I'm not exactly a Juventino :) but my vote would be
for Dino Zoff.

This guy's record is absolutely amazing! 11 years without
missing a match!! Let's see some of today's overpriced
stars try that!

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
See Glen,I can piss you off even wirthout mentioning the c. word :)

Seriusly now,Scirea was great,fair and all but this is something I simply wont believe till someone explains thsi WHY to me.You try but you simply dont know enough about the situation since you didnt see him play either (or at very few games).No offence on that...

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Just to comment on the cards:

Yeah for a defender to have such a 'clean' record is impressive. But for non-defenders it's not that amazing...great but still possible.
Since you're a Dane you must mention Laudrup for sure, Glen :) Just for the records, Gary Lineker had never received even a yellow card in his entire career. There was also this Saudi Arabian player (can't remember the name) with the same feat. But he's also a non-defender.

I've never followed Juve that closely but I guess it's Platini. Zidane still has more to prove to emulate Platini (but ain't he gonna move somewhere else in the near future?)

E

·
0 Posts
ALL TIMES BEST

MY TOP 10 OF ALL TIMES:
1)G.BONIPERTI
2)M.PLATINI(AND HEYSEL SO I LOVE JUVE)
3)D.ZOFF
4)G.SCIREA
5)O.SIVORI
6)R.BETTEGA
7)C.FERRARA
8)R.BAGGIO
9)K.PRAEST
10)A.DEL PIERO
THE OTHERS ARE ZIDANE,MONTERO,DAVIDS,CONTE,PERUZZI,ROSSI......JUVENTUS IS A LEGEND OF ITSELF.THANK YOU FRIENDS...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts