Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
29,706 Posts
Masopust in 1962 : 'he is injuried, lets not do anything with him" , when asking his team players, Czech Republic, to just watch when the injuried Pele get the ball. (did helped, Pele had to left the game anyways).

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
It was Denmark game against an Arabic team. The ball was in the Arabic area when a whistle from someone in the crowd made the Arabic guy pick up the ball, thinking it was from the referee. The referee gave the handball (he had no choice, really) but the Danish penalty taker passed it to the side.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
barça said:
Didn't Robbie Fowler miss a pk on purpose once after the ref whistled a "dive" by him as a pk?
No, he tried to score, even if the penalty was an awful one. David Seaman saved it, but Jason McAteer put in the rebound.

·
International
6,724 Posts
Raven said:
It was Denmark game against an Arabic team. The ball was in the Arabic area when a whistle from someone in the crowd made the Arabic guy pick up the ball, thinking it was from the referee. The referee gave the handball (he had no choice, really) but the Danish penalty taker passed it to the side.
Yes, Denmark vs Iran in the Calsberg Cup. Morten Wieghorst was the player who took and the penalty and deliberately kicked it wide.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nikbakht-Vahedi said:
Nothing beats Paolo di Canio picking up the ball in the 18 yard box and stopping play for the injured keeper.
The one alluded to by Raven and Jose smash it.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Re: Re: Best piece of fair sportsmanship you've seen

Legolas Green said:
Dont know about that.Di Canio had a free header after the keep was injured on the left hand side of the box and he grabbed the ball.It would of counted plus it was in a EPL match not in the Carlsberg Cup against some Arabic team.The Wieghorst one was brilliant though aswell.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
David said:
It was only a freindly. No big deal. I doubt they'd have done the same in an official match.
But still... sportsmanship is sportsmanship. :)

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Bastin said:
No, he tried to score, even if the penalty was an awful one. David Seaman saved it, but Jason McAteer put in the rebound.
:eek:

Thanks Bastin, I have never seen the play, but I was under the impression that he had missed on purpose :rollani: I must have read it on soccerage:tongue:

D

·
0 Posts
Bastin said:
He missed it on purpose, he said to Seaman that he was putting it to his(Seaman's" left), Seaman spilled it and McAteer scored. Fowler didn't speak to McAteer for about a week after it.

D

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Best piece of fair sportsmanship you've seen

Legolas Green said:
No it doesn't. Wieghorst did that in a nothing game where it didn't matter. Di Canio did it in a competitive match where a lot was at stake.

Di Canio's is definitly number 1.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Alex Del Piero mistaking a penalty on purpose -weak, low and central- and harbouring a satisfied smile after he got awarded a dodgy penalty in some Serie A game a few seasons ago. The media asked the player to confirm what appeared as an obvious intentional miss but of course, the player did none of that at all.

Ciao.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
I've always thought that it was Owen and not Fowler who was in the centre of the issue with that (missed) unndeserved penalty.

Short memory it seems.

However, Di Canio was great in that situation.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
xtc said:
I've always thought that it was Owen and not Fowler who was in the centre of the issue with that (missed) unndeserved penalty.

Short memory it seems.

However, Di Canio was great in that situation.
If it was Owen, I doubt you'll find he missed the penalty on purpose. He ususally misses anyway.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Doc_Rule said:
He missed it on purpose, he said to Seaman that he was putting it to his(Seaman's" left), Seaman spilled it and McAteer scored. Fowler didn't speak to McAteer for about a week after it.
Can't miss if he tries? That is bad. Come off it. If a player of Fowler's quality wants to miss, he blazes it over, or puts it wide, or just whacks it back towards his own goal. He doesn't put it in the corner of the goal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts