Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After last night i think i'll have to add Riquelme to the list of best performances i've seen . he was superb in places despite not being 100% fit. Don't think i have been as impressed with an opposing players performance since Mendietas game for Valencia when they won 2-1 about 5 years ago.

team wise we were MUCH better back then than we are now so some would it would be easier to shine against us, but to be fair to Riquelme Villarreal -although good- are not a patch on that Valencia team either.

So what other performances do you remember? Ones that stick in the memory - Del Piero in Turin, that was him as a young player and at the peak of his form and he's never quite managed to fufil the masses of potential he had when he first broke though. And for some reason i remember Lombardo having a great game, but i think that was in a pre-season friendly.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yeah,think Lombardo was pre-season with Sampdoria,start of '94 season.
Would agree with Mendieta,he was every where that night,a superb all round performance.
Considering his age,Ketsbaia had quite a good game for Famagusta in the CL Qualifier.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
My memory is terrible. No one springs to mind at the moment except Vialli and Ravenelli. Hagi too when he played for Galatasaray was fantastic.

We've played against some big name players who have been less than spectacular- Ronaldinho (PSG), Van Nistelrooy (PSV) and Cantona (Leeds) were all a bit pants from memory.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Kalou and Landzaat spring to mind from last season too.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Kalou did rip us to shreds at the back with his pace.

Over in Holland too Huysegems really had Zurab running in circles.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I remember when Juve came to Ibrox, Moreno Torricelli had a stormer that night also didn't he?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was really young at the time but Hagi became one of my favourite non-Rangers player after the Steau Bucharest game (88ish?). It's hard to really remember anything specific because of my age but he must have been really good for me to follow him throughout his career all from that 1 performance!

the Red Star Belgrade team of around about the same time had a few real crackers in it, Pancev, Prosinecki and co. They wiped the floor with us that night :(

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Wht amazed me about Quaresma was when he played on the left against us he still crossed with his right foot. 99% of players in that position would either try their left peg or pull the ball back to cross with their right foot. He just used the outside of his right foot every time. Very strange looking but still effective.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
chivoexpiatorio said:
Wht amazed me about Quaresma was when he played on the left against us he still crossed with his right foot. 99% of players in that position would either try their left peg or pull the ball back to cross with their right foot. He just used the outside of his right foot every time. Very strange looking but still effective.

Reminded me alot of myself as i'm totally hopeless with my left foot. If i was forced to take a penalty into an open goal with my left i wouldn't be confident about hitting the target at all. :D

Don't quite have the skills of Quaresma with my right unfortunately, so no wonder i never made it as a player :cry:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Join the club. I couldn't kick with my left foot either. To be honest I don't remember to many guys that could play just us good with both feet when I used to play.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts