Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the best U20, not the Balotellis of serie A--simply the best first year players in serie A without an already famous name and resumé. Age is not a factor; he could be 19 or 29, I don't care. I don't know if we have to exclude champions like Sneijder, Lucio and Eto'o who were already world famous when coming into the league, but for sure I want to promote lesser known entities also/instead.

From the top off my head, I can think of someone like Poli of Samp, who's doing better than I thought he would in his first year. Sirigu has put a stop to the ridiculous circus of goalkeepers in Palermo, he seems talented. Ranocchia and Bonucci were playing at a level I haven't seen before for two young newcomers in a central defense. Julio Sergio is here too, if we consider he had never played for Roma before this season even if he's been at the club for three years. Nenê can look like a young Bati in one moment, and then very regular in another, but all in all I think he's a great find for a club like Cagliari.

I had Cossu in mind, but looked it up and apparently he has played a season in A before this, just went completely unnoticed.

·
Registered
46,155 Posts
Andrea Cossu is the living proof that we must not be worried about the supposed lack of talent in the Italian youth teams. Andrea Cossu infact has been a nobody for most of his carreer (including the previous season at Cagliari in 2005/2006) and revealed his qualities just in the past season, when he was already 28/29 years old.

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Andrea Cossu is the living proof that we must not be worried about the supposed lack of talent in the Italian youth teams. Andrea Cossu infact has been a nobody for most of his carreer (including the previous season at Cagliari in 2005/2006) and revealed his qualities just in the past season, when he was already 28/29 years old.
So what your saying is Italians peak late...:hmm:

·
Administrator
52,912 Posts
This is not the first season I noticed Cossu (though not noticed that much, thought he played more then 2 seasons in Cagliari), even if its the first season I been impressed by him. Poli is a very good call, I would say I'm an admirer of his from the little I had seen in Azzurrini before hand.

Regarding total newcomers, hard to think of ones. I would say Alexis Sanchez, but just realized its his second season, just that been more impressed with him this season then his last anonymous one. You are likely find players like this in newly promoted this. So for the purpose of this thread, prolly Barretto, though he also played in Serie A some years back.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Also there is Palacio.. He hasn't settled yet at Genoa. However based on the few times I've seen him, I am sure he is gonna be a force for them. His style fits Serie A very well.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Palacio is broken as hell, too many injuries, he left his best years in Boca and even critized as hell, I allways liked the dude, usntopabble (in many senses) for moments.
Too much down to earth and shy for his own good sometimes to. He might be one of the few cases of an argie player instead of rushing up his transfer, arriving too late to Europe..nevertheless I wish him the best, very cool fella.

·
18,041 Posts
Ah of course Pastore, I don't know how I forgot!
He has to come down to earth a bit since time (like his pre talk before the "final" agaisnt Velez). The characteristics to be a player with an excellent career are there...but the praise is just too much, more when he is what? 20?...thought his president as over the top and funny is, many times is quite right leaving his exagerations aside.

·
18,041 Posts
Rossi needs to play in Serie A before he vanishes from earth. He can recuperate, but I think he can do it faster in Serie A witha new challenge than staying in Villareal.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Cossu lead the assist charts last seasons (or was second), its not that i have paid special attention to him until now, but obviously he already was established himself in serie a.
Rannochia is the one im most curious how will develop.
Candreva all of sudden is looking like he can gain a starting spot in Juventus, so i think he deserves a mention too.

·
Administrator
52,912 Posts
Yeah he assisted quite a bit last season, but besides that, he genuinly seems to be a real threat whenever he has the ball this season, bit more confidence and responsibility in his performances. More likely to stand out in those few Cagliari games you see then with just the accurate crossing here or there (Fini was also assist leader last season etc).

Yeah young and upcoming players in newly promoted sides or such is best example for this thread, Rannocchia in particular, and Candreva was such a newcomer in half a season he already goes to a top team. But yeah hope he keeps it up, was very good tonight.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Pastore...frighteningly talented...his head is the only thing that may stop him...as daring as it sounds, i think only Ronaldinho and Totti are more naturally skilled than him in Serie A.
The biggest surprise is that, despite being so young, he is tactically so perfect...if Miccoli could read his rhythm, Palermo could be even better than they currently are

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
He's not a newcomer per se, as this is his (injury filled) sophomore season, but with what he has done in the CL this season and being now an automatic starter when healthy for Fiorentina rather than a super-sub as most of last season, I'd say Stevan Jovetic is the most interesting player/newcomer in serieA.

·
MVP
8,984 Posts
I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll post in here.

Mexicans in Serie A are a rare-sight. I'd recently watched a feature about him on TV, and he was interviewed. Plays as an LB, and featured only twice this season for Atalanta before going back to Mexico on loan.

Anybody seen him play? I'm guessing Giampaolo Bellini occupies that position I presume (today Peluso played there vs. Juve). I'm curious to know if he's a good prospect with potential.

Here's a video a found of him from Mexican league

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQQJSg6sk0Y

1 - 18 of 18 Posts