Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion, what is the best national team in the world now? I think it is Argentina, they have Batistuta, Crespo, Lopez, Veron, Simeone, Zanetti and Samuel, Ortega is also great in national team. Next may be France.

[Edited by mark wong on 19-07-2000 at 18:50]

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
1 Brazil
2 France
3 Czech Republic
4 Spain
4 Argentina
6 Italy
7 Portugal
8 Netherlands
9 Germany
10 Norway

As you can see Argentina in not #1..Brazil will change due to their WC qualifying loss to Paraguay.
During the next few months we will see the rankings move:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would have to say that I disagree with Fifa's rankings. Brazil, in my mind, are a collection of talented individuals but DO NOT make up the best team. Defence will be their downfall in WC 2002. For as long as I live people will squawk about how good Spain is and for as long as I live, they will never win anything.
Here's my rankings:
1. Argentina
2. France
3. Holland
4. Italy
5. Brazil
6. Czech Republic
7. Portugal
8. Spain
9. Yugoslavia
10.Croatia

Germany and Norway (definitely)are not top ten at the momen,t and do not deserve to be ranked so high.
Give me your top ten guys, I'd like to hear what you have to say.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Argentina (no doubt)
2. France
3. Holland
4. Italy
5. Portugal
6. Brazil
7. Spain
8. Czech Republic / Yugoslavia
9. Romania
10. England

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
I completly agree with Frank. After seeing both Argentina and Brazil play (several matches) it feels ridicoulus with that ranking.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Brasil are 2-1-2 in world cup qualifying and they just lost to Paraguay who is number.....what? No way they deserve to be #1, especially after France just won WC and Euro2000.
1. France
2. Argentina
3. Italy
4. Holland
5. Brasil
6. Portugal
7. Spain
8. Yugo
9. Czechs
10. Germany

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
1. France
2. Argentina
3. Italy
4. Holland
5. Brasil
6. Portugal
7. Spain
8. Yugo
9. Czechs
10. Romania

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Primo and cmdg3232:

I agree with your rankings, but not Yugo above the Czechs!!!

And Germany in the Top 10 :eek: Brrrrrrrrr.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
1. France (got to go with Euro2000 and wc'98 champs)
2. Argentina (possibly better than france, but if not a close second, can't wait to see them take apart Brasil)
3. Holland (talented, just can't put it together, look for a big wc run in 2002)
4. Italy (best defense in the world, but we need a real striker....I mean high class like Bati)
5. Portugal (Figo, Costa, just so talented in midfield)
6. Brasil ( would be 3, but not without a healthy Ronaldo, who when he is healthy still best striker in world)
7. Spain (still is very, very good: Raul can make pk's)
8. Czech Republic-works best as a team in the world, just not the most talented still, really talented.
9. No clear team but how about Romania
10. France' subs or lets say Norway, why not

There are really only eight top teams in the world right now, b/c Germany is rebuilding and England, well their fans are about to get them thrown out of a lot of tourney's if the don't learn how to overcome "the drink" problem

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
1. ARGENTINA
1. FRANCE
3. ITALY
4. BRAZIL
5. HOLLAND
6. CZECHS
7. PORTUGAL
8. SPAIN
9. YUGOSLAVIA
10.URUGUAY

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
HERE is how it is now o.k RIGHT NOW!!!!!! not historically but right now.

Argentina even more complete than France

France NUFF SAID!!!!!!

Holland Better than Brazil right now and when on song better than my sweet Italia

Czech Republic Nedved alone would kick Brasil's @RSE back to Rio and Brasilia in one half.

Brasil pale shadow of themselves.....no team.....no maturity....loads of infighting. Bunch of children and it is an embarassment to world football that this assortment of vanities has been allowed to win 4 W.C.'s Having discipline and facing them withoutt fear is the key to defeating them.

Italy this generation of defenders is the best defencive line in history. 3 of those kind of out of this world defender in the Baresi mould. Maldini Nesta and Canavarro. When Maldini retires there is a top athlete in Iuliano there. When Canavarro retires there is top athlete in Lazzeri there. With Buffon leading the lin from the back fo rthe next 15 years or so expect great great things.

Portugal this is one of the most balanced sides in the history of Portuguese football the 4-5-1 formation allows them tto use their talented midfielder to ttthe maximum. In Nuno Gomes they may just have found what they were always missing.

Spain will never win anything but they are very very good. Lack mental toughness and the national team is not very importantt to them at all when you compare them to teams like Real Madrid Barca Bilbao and Socoiedad.

Yugo probably the most talented team indivdually outside Brasil Nigeria and Argentina. Sadly they are all what we call down here in Barbados "I" men. Instead of being "We" men. I have seen Serbians pushing each othe rout of the way to score goals themselves and all that crap. I remember when Mijatovic crossed in a ball against Germany and somehow Stankovic said he had touched it the papers carried articles about everyone saying that Stankovic hadn't scored it. They are incredibly immature but just as talented

Uruguay Honestly these guys are my 4th favourite national team after Italy Argentina and Portugal. I have a soft spot for them and right now i don't think anyone not in the above list can defeat them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Boys, this thread is a testament to why football is the greatest (and most competitive) sport in the world. There is about six or seven teams that are in contention to win the World Cup in 2002, just as there were three or four teams with a legitimate shot of winning Euro 2000.
This sport is truly competitive on a global scale and the winner of the competition deservedly carries the title of World Champions, because nearly every country in the world has membership in Fifa. More countries belong to Fifa than to the United Nations!
It is not like basketball at the Olympics which has now been reduced to a side-show with the inclusion of the American Dream Team. It's not a matter of who wins, but by how much.
In football, any one of the top six or seven teams can defeat any other team if they can put it all together on that day. What a great game!

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
that is why football was always and will always be the one truly global sport.

While every country has its individiual sports every country still plays football. Down here in Barbados even we have cricket as our national sport but Football comes as high as second in our importance list.

And sadly the Americans just cannot appreciate a Sport that is so classy you cry lke ababy when you lose. Americans enjoy crap like Wrestling and NFL and NHL all these games concentrate more on brute forcethan skill and that is why America is so far away from embracing football as a national sport.

Football is where it is at.!!!!!!!!!!

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
iTazz, nice analysis but i don't agree on one point:
"HERE is how it is now o.k RIGHT NOW!!!!!! not historically but right now."
My friend RIGHT NOW the best team of the world is France!I'm not talking about 10, 20 or 60 years ago but just in the past 2 years AND ON!It was just less than 3 weeks ago that we won the Euro...is that already history???I mean that is the most recent. (you could always argue about the literal meaning of NOW and HISTORY as this WAS just 20 days ago, but still that is the most recent major footballing event:) )

"Argentina even more complete than France". Are you sure about that iTazz? Just take a look at the French roster before saying that Argentina is more complete than them and tell me what you think about it:)
Here are the French A and B teams:

Team A:
Barthez- Thuram, Desailly, Blanc, Liza- Petit, Deschamps, Zidane, Djorkaeff- Anelka, Henry.

Team B:
Rame- Djetou, Leboeuf, Christanval, Candela- Karembeu, Viera, Micoud, Pires- Trezeguet, Wiltord.

And i have not even mentioned Dugarry, Luccin, Dabo, Frey, Dalmat, Vairelles, Maurice...

This will be i believe the French Team in 2002:

Barthez- Thuram, Desailly, Djetou, Candela- Pires, Viera, Zidane, Luccin- Anelka, Henry.

Subs: Dabo, Frey, Trezeguet, Wiltord, Christianval, Dalmat, Petit, Liza, and a few others to come...

So...? still not convinced? :)

Ok, here's my top teams of the world:

1)France
2)Argentina
3)Italy
4)Portugal
5)Holland
6)Brasil
7)Spain
8)Czech

[Edited by San_Siro_1 on 22-07-2000 at 08:19]

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
This is a decent topic and all, but what has it got to do with Serie A and Serie B?

M

·
0 Posts
1. france(seems that their subss are better than their starters)
2. argentina
3. italia(great showing at euro2000)
4. brasil(with new coach and a lose to paraguay down also brasils time has passed so don t expect a good showing at WC)
5. portugal(also great showing)
6. holland(going down hill after loss to italia
7. czech(bad luck at euro)
8. spain

that is all
this is the world standings in my opinion

J

·
0 Posts
1. ARGENTINA
2. FRANCE
3. HOLLAND
4. ITALY
5. BRAZIL
6. PORTUGAL
7. CZECHS
8. Norway
9. YUGOSLAVIA
10.URUGUAY

D

·
0 Posts
The 2002 World Cup will for the first time since 1982 have about 5 world-class teams.

Brazil of course, Argentina have a very strong team now that will carry thorugh to 2002.

France will once again be serious contenders, but I don't think they'll win the WC again.

Portugal look a dangerous out-sider for 2002, and the Netherlands will have an extrmely good team. And Italy showed that they still have a world-class team.

IMO France's defence is past it, but they will go far.

It's quite premature, but on paper I would like to see an Argentina - Netherlands final in 2002. :)

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Its a joke to think that anyone can compare to the Dutch French or the Argies.

Those are the three best teams in the world......and i guess the difference is all down to opinion

Seriously SIRO hahahah you have you have gotta be kiddin do you really think that Luccin will play in teh next W.C. an dthat Dalmat willbe on the bench? This man is amazing.....he has the skills of Zidane and the defencive qualities of viera...get real bro. that clown Peter Luccin will never play for France.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts