• Ireland Vs Germany 1994 (B4 WC)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ireland Vs Italy 1994

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Ireland Vs Holland 2001(WC Qual)

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Ireland Vs Germany 2002 WC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ireland Vs Spain WC 2002 (I know we lost but still a great game)

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted by Dough_Ballz

What do you think Irelands best match was?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I was at the Ireland England game in Stuttgart. Top notch.

Let me go back a bit....

Ireland Holland '80 in Lansdowne

Ireland France in Lansdowne '81

Great games and we played deadly football, unlike Charltons Reign of terror.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasn't around for those games. By that I mean I wasn't even born. Did we win both?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
we most certainly did. only lost out on qualification for Spain82 on goal difference to france. We wuz robbed! on away games to belgium and holland. refs were bought etc etc. some absolute shocking decisions, dissalowed goals for us for no clear reason, late winners for them when the players were miles offside.

the group was france, holland, belgium, cyprus, and ourselves.

another classic was v Spain in lansdowne in 89. It was just after Hillsborough and we needed 3 points to kick start our WC qualifying effort so emotions were running. The noise in Lansdowne that day so so fierce that spanish tv viewers jammed their tv stations phones complaining that they could'nt hear their commentator.

It was also the day when Geroge Hamilton came out wit the classic cry into the microphone "THE SPANISH MANAGER IS PULLING BUTREGEUNO OFF!! HES PULLING HIM OFF"

Classic stuff

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i remember the end of that qual campaign. It was only 2 points back in those days. That was a handy group to get out of. Spain, us, northern Ireland, Hungry and Malta with the top 2 goin thru???
Easy....not like the 2006 one

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
I haven't seen all of these matches, but I voted for "Ireland Vs Italy 1994", I think you played really well there. I remember it well, since it was a very important match for Norway as well.

·
Registered
59,034 Posts
Voted for Ireland - Italy in USA 94. Ray Haughton knocking the ball over Palguica. Magical moments! probably big Jacks best! :cool:

The Holland game....:depress:

D

·
0 Posts
For me, it was vs. Italy in 94, Houghton scored a beauty and we rocked the Giants stadium for about 3 hours! Paul McGrath gave the greatest performance ever by an irish player as he singlehandedly kept the Italians at bay.

·
Registered
526 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts