• Zacarelli - 25 pres. 2 gol - 1975-80

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well some of these may not be left midfield in most of their career but Berti for example played here in 94, and Signori often took up this position for Italy!!!

Or the so called ALA Sinistra :) or soemthing like that :tongue: Graziani played here also in 82 but I left him out of this poll and he will be in the strikers poll!!!

Lentini is ther but his career was cut short of course... I choose Signori!!!

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
umm, de napoli was a right midfielder and signori really cant be said to be a left midfielder, even he featured there on some occasions.

if anything, Donadoni should be in that list, he was pure class.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Donadoni was a right midfielder, was he not? Well I saw him there for Milan and Italy many occasions

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A good player of this position I have forgotten is Paolino Pulici, so if any1 wants to do him, then say :D

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Deano said:
Donadoni was a right midfielder, was he not? Well I saw him there for Milan and Italy many occasions
yes, right midfielder

P.S. BTW Deano great job

P.S.2 Mario Corso even though more of a trequatista played left (at least for Inter)

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Signori, although i remember him more of a striker.

when i fearfully close my eyes in the nights before the derbies, and think back at his time in "biancoceleste" i still get the cold shower of death running down my spine... :skull: ;)

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
fellas, for italy, donadoni featured more on the left than he did on the right. in 1990, de napoli was the right midfielder with donadoni on the left. is that not correct. in 1994, donadoni was on the left and berti was on the right, is that not correct? i might be wrong but i doubt it.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In 194 Berti was definitely on the left and Donadoni right my man... maybe not in all matches but definitely in the latter stages of the tournament!!!

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
minchia, i'm going crazy here trying to think back. lentini had the accident so donadoni went to the left and berti (why he was there ahead of lombardo that time amazed me) took the right.

fuk, i dont know now...i have asked mates and some have agreed with both of us.

i'll take your word for it, my brain is cooked these days.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nah, I just remember my dad complaining about Berti playing on the left wing

we did it because we played the pressure game back then and Berti worked for that system!!!

·
Registered
45,840 Posts
Berti played on the left midfield in USA 94 and that was one of the crappiest choices of Sacchi. So: definitely not Berti. :tongue:

The problem with this poll is that till Sacchi Italy did not adopt the 4-4-2! If we want to make a poll which has a meaning we must use the "classic" positions of Italian football even if now it works a bit differently (there is no man-marking), cause it's easier to put the players of the present in the old system than the old players in the new ones (almost impossible in my opinion).

Portiere-goalie (no problem)
Terzino destro-right back, but this kind of player was not as intended now, that means a player occupying the right defensive flank. He was the player who man-marked the so called "Seconda punta", see Gentile, Bergomi, Burgnich.
Terzino sinistro o fluidificante- left back, but again was a bit different. This player man-marked the "right winger" and could cover all the left flank becoming a true "left winger". That's the reason why you have no left midfielder as intended now in the history of Italian football. see Facchetti, Cabrini, De Agostini
Stopper- man marked the center forward. See Collovati, Vierchowod, Brio
Libero- he was the last defender. He was called "libero" (free) cause he had not to mark anyone. His duty was covering the holes left by the other defenders. See Scirea, Baresi
Mediano di spinta-centre half (?). This player was very important. He was the everywhere man, he had to man mark the "fantasista" and make the "dirty" work for the team. See Oriali, Furino, Bonini
Ala tornante- Winger. He was a kind of second fantasista. He played usually on the right but he could attack on the left flank too. He had to control the left back of the opponents.
See Bruno Conti, Causio, Domenghini, Donadoni (the first Donadoni, not that of USA 94)
Centrocampista- midfielder, generical... he could be a true play-maker, a 2-ways midfielder or simply another hard-worker. For example in 1982 we had Oriali as "mediano" and Tardelli who was a 2-ways midfielder, terrible man-marker and also dangerous when attacking.
Fantasista- the classic n.10, see Antognoni (Antognoni! He also miss the list of fantasisti), Rivera
Centravanti and seconda punta - center forward and supporting forward Rossi-Bettega, Rossi-Graziani, Boninsegna-Riva.

·
Registered
45,840 Posts
according to the old nomenclatura the players of this list are:

Berti - centrocampista generico- he was just used by Sacchi on the left midfield
De Napoli - centrocampista generico or mediano di spinta
Lentini - ala tornante preferenzialmente sinistra (left)
Signori - seconda punta

1 - 16 of 16 Posts