Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you all remember, a couple of months ago there was a discussion about which eastern european country has the best national team.
Well, frankly, in my case, after EURO, the equation has been solved, the best eastern european team are the Czech Republic. They had bad luck to be in the same group as Holland and France (but still played very good, and were very unlucky to lose against Holland), and I really believe they have the best team..

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
well, i have to disagree...romania could have done alot better also...they got NO BREAK! from the refs. they had many players suspended and booked...it was no fair...i think romania has more bad calls against them than the czechs did....i also believed that romania was getting better as the tourniment went on and if they had their key players there, they would have made the semi-finals at least.

i dont want to get in a big discussion about all this because i hate to keep on writing back and forth. all i can say is that we will see in wc2002. in euro2000, romania was the best out of all the eastern european teams...i think many will agree with me.

HAI ROMANIA!!!

ps. i have never seen such bad refereeing in a tourniment before....i was shocked with many calls. UEFA IS STUPID TO SAY THAT EVERYTHING WAS DONE WELL.

D

·
0 Posts
On their day, Romania, Yugoslavia, and the Czech Republic can beat anyone in the world, even Brazil, France, or the Netherlands.

But from what I saw during Euro 2000, the Czech Republic have impressed me the most. They completely out-played the Netherlands in teh 2nd-half of the opening match, after the match the Dutch odds of winning were increased greatly.

Yugoslavia may have been on the unlucky side when they lost to Spain 4-3, but I think the Czech Republic never in the whole world deserved to lose that match against the Dutch, and if it wasn't for the Dutch being favourites and 40,000 fans in the stadium, Collina would probnably not have awarded that penalty.

The Czech Republic for me are definitely the team to be most feared of from the Eastern bloc at the moment.

From the balkans, Yugoslvia played at times brilliantly, but I have to say they were demorilised by the Netherlands. Romania played the best, and players such as Hagi, Moldovan, Belodedici, Chivu, Munteanu put on world-class performances during at least one match in Euro 2000.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Just talking about the present, I guess it's the Czechs, followed closely by Romania. Romania in the next few years may be different, though, 'coz I see this Romanian team in Euro 2000 as being in the transition phase. The new names need more time to settle, while the old names are leaving after this Euro.
Yugo can produce the best performance and the worst...I still see this inconsistency.
Yeah, on their day, the Czechs, Romania and Yugo are capable of beating any team, actually! But it's rather sad to see that the refs still have the tendency to consider the East European Teams to be second-class...Hope that'll change soon!

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Hmmm, I think it's even between Czech Republic and Romania, they both play good football, but one or the other usually doesn't get the results. In this case the Czechs. However, out of these two Romania has a better future.

·
Premium Member
27,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eclipse, are you sure Romania has a better future???
I mean, the Czech under 21's finished I think second in the European championship, didn't they??? :)

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
redstarforever: Traditionally Romanians under 21 teams always suck. Even way back in the day with Hagi and Popescu they still sucked. I think it's more important for young players to shine in the Senior Squad rather than the Under21 team. I know I am being biased but I just know that Romania will do better than the Czechs in the future. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts