Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Let us keep our fingers crossed) Inspite of whether Arsenal do win the Double this season or not, do you think the current team is better than the 98-Double (team)? What are your views?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think this years squad, because of its depht and offensive skills.

But it's a very close match when considering our defence back then!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I think with a fully fit squad the current Arsenal are slighty better. There seems to be more fluency when they attack, so the current Arsenal are better at getting forward and creating more chances. However the defence still isn't as good and we still are missing the Petit of '98, but then again Edu seems to be the answer and he is improving with every game. The main reason I have gone for the current Arsenal team is because this team has Campbell, Henry and Pires and you compare them with Bould, Anelka and Overmars and the current team edges it.
But you can't really compare the teams unless we put the trophies in the cabinet.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
why concentrate on the players?
its about how we performed in this year
i think we did MUCH better
think about it
if back in 98' we got all these injuries, red cards etc, would we would of won the double?
i dont think so
this year
we have been bombarded with all this crap and we're still pulling through
this year if we win the double, it certainly wouldnt just reflect on the team and manager, it would also reflect HOW WRONG THE FA BOARD IS!!!
:tongue: :D
must win, to slap the FA in the face

·
Registered
84 Posts
Another tough question. IF we do the double this year, it would be a far greater accomplishment as the quality of teams in the premiership is far superior to 1998. Then it was only us and the Mancs who looked anything seriously challenging for the title. This season has been far closer and the teams near the top have been better than I can remember. Having said that, this years side works harder than 1998, plays better football than 1998 and has a much better attitude than 1998. No whingers, no whining, but lot's of points and goals.....it's good to love the Arsenal.

BB

Not all girls bring you lasagne at work....most of 'em just cheat on you.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
I think that this team is better, by far. Pires is out of this world, and Henry has been our Ian Wright this season.

I disagree with swiftwilly on his point about suspensions, injuries, etc. In 1998, we got more than our fair share of injuries and suspensions, but still won - down to our strength in depth, and our midfield's ability to get important goals.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
our injuries hsa been much more severe with 98's
pires
GVB
upson
cole
come on

and very *bullsht* suspensions to liek henry for example
and that crappy accusation against viera and hasslbank

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The current team is superior offensively, but the 98 team were much better defensively.

So a combination of the two would be best...

-----------------Seaman--------------------

Dixon----Adams---Bould----Winterburn

Ljungberg---Vieira---Petit----------Pires

----------Bergkamp---Henry---------------

Subs

Overmars
Manninger (1998 version!)
Wright
Wreh ;)
Keown

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Speaking on Manniger, will he be back from loan? Or did it end up a permanent move instead. I can't agree more. the 98' was however better defensively with more composure. Wrong tactics cost us the UEFA title or else we would have end up a TREBLE instead. I'm not hoping Arsenal to win any penalty shoot out. They were diabolical since the 80's! (When will they ever improve). :?

But I could'nt write off that the current Arsenal is better offensively, and our defensive record were ain't bad despite the injuries we've suffered...

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Speaking of doubles ...

Spare a thought for Bayer Leverkusen - they're in line for the treble (a real one Celtic and Liverpool fans ;) ) !!!

They are two points clear on top of the Bundesliga ...

Have already booked their place in the German Cup Final ...

And are preparing to face Man Utd - minus Keane and Beckham - in the Champions League Semi-Finals!!!

All this while knowing their star-player has already signed a pre-agreement transfer to rivals Bayern Munchen!!!

Oh! And I believe this year's Arsenal is markedly better than the 98 side.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Who knows is Ballack really is going to leave? The contract needs not be honoured, as he can make and break such contracts it as he wishes - whereas the clubs can't. Say, if he were struck down with a career-ending injury right now, Bayern would still have to pay the transfer fee, for a retired player.

Maybe, if Bayer win the CL, German Cup, and Bundesliga, then Ballack will refuse to leave - it's his choice.

Anyway, rambling on about Germans side-tracked me...

Manninger is on loan, with Fiorentina having an option to buy him (permenantly) for £6m at the end of the season. Considering:

a) He's not worth that much.
b) Fiorentina haven't got that much, and
c) No other clubs want to buy him, other than Sturm Graz, who also can't pay £6m.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Even if 97/98 is a classic team who always will have a great place in our hearts I don`t think any Arsenal fan would change the team we have today with the team from 97/98.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
GarethUK said:
The current team is superior offensively, but the 98 team were much better defensively.

So a combination of the two would be best...

-----------------Seaman--------------------

Dixon----Adams---Bould----Winterburn

Ljungberg---Vieira---Petit----------Pires

----------Bergkamp---Henry---------------

Subs

Overmars
Manninger (1998 version!)
Wright
Wreh ;)
Keown

gareth u wouldnt really put steve bould in b4 Sol cambell would ya :eek:

:p

Arsenals performance this year has been heeeeeps better!!! u really deserve it this season and proved it wasnt a fluke.. last time just seems so surreal, but this time if you win both you bloody deserve them!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Beechy said:

gareth u wouldnt really put steve bould in b4 Sol cambell would ya??

um, yes I would. Campbell is a great player, one of the best defenders in the league, but he hasn't reached the consistenct excellence that Uncle Bouldy did. Yet.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
if we win at west ham
it will equal the record the same as 97/98 season
and i think we can still continue to win more games even
which in the end, create a new record for amount of wins and thus proving this season was better then the 97/98

thats the factual side of it
:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
There is no question really.....this is the best Arsenal side by a long way that I've seen.

The question that still requires an answer is which one of our (potentially) three doubles is the greater achievement?

1971 was a tougher double to accomplish than 1998. Fact. The teams in '71 were a lot closer in terms of ability compared to 1998 when there was only two sides in the country playing anything like decent football.

This years would be a greater accomplishment than 1971, though. I can't ever remember a title race going to the last 3 games with 3 teams still involved.

The other significant factor is Chelsea 2002 is a different proposition and altogether tougher game for the FA cup final than Newcastle 1998.

BB

Look at this morose mother fuker right here....looks like someone s4it in his cereal........BUUUNG!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts