Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which team has the best defense in Europe? Here are the stats for season 2004/2005. They include league goals and Champions League goals (cup matches aren't good reflections).

Juventus: 11 goals in 24 matches. The addition of Cannavaro and Zebina down back, Emerson in the midfield and Capello on the bench has improved Juventus' defence remarkably and they now boast one of the best defensive record in Europe at the moment.

Milan: 14 goals in 24 matches. The old guard has been amazing yet again, producing plenty of clean sheets. A little shaky to begin, but now in top form and with Stam making his return from injury, they should be even more concrete.

Chelsea: 11 goals in 28 matches. The addition of Carvalho and Ferreira down back, along with their Portuguese coach Mourinho, all from Porto, has made Chelsea's defence the best in Europe this season. An amazing record, not to mention they score goals too.

It's really only down to 3 teams at the moment I think. Chelsea, Juventus then Milan at the moment, but they really are all very close.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well if you look statistics then it's juve but in reality Milan plays much more offensive football so the defense have a more difficult job than juve's who is more covered than Milan's defense! Furthermore if you look at the individual players it's obvious to say Milan. No team in europe have 3 great defenders like Stam Nesta and Maldini (Costacurta is great too but I think many ppl think he's too old which he is not)!

In europe:
1.milan
2.juve
3.chelski

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
1-Milan
2-Chelsea
3-Real Madrid :drunk: :dielaugh:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Milan
Chelsea
Juve
these team have the best defence... only toward the end of the season we will be able to see the clear difference between these 3.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
il_capitano said:
Well if you look statistics then it's juve but in reality Milan plays much more offensive football so the defense have a more difficult job than juve's who is more covered than Milan's defense! Furthermore if you look at the individual players it's obvious to say Milan. No team in europe have 3 great defenders like Stam Nesta and Maldini (Costacurta is great too but I think many ppl think he's too old which he is not)!

In europe:
1.milan
2.juve
3.chelski
Wrong. How can you say Jaap Stam is a better defender than Cannavaro and Thuram?

I would say the Juventus and Milan defenses are about equal, however Milan usually has more possession which takes the strain off of the defense. Juventus does not usually have copius amounts of possession, so the defense is getting tested more. Juventus has the best defense in Europe, Milan is right behind, and Chelsea comes in third.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Andr3w said:
Wrong. How can you say Jaap Stam is a better defender than Cannavaro and Thuram?
I don't think he refferred to Stam being better than the two you named, but instead listing Stam as one of the 3 world class defenders at their disposal. Plus Cafu and the ageing Billy in the ranks, Milan does have the best defence in Europe INDIVIDUALLY.

As a counter-argument to your statement saying Milan's defence has less pressure on them due to Milan's possesive play, I would say its easier for Juve to keep clean sheets because they'd have the midfield covering for them. Also, MIlan playing a possesive football would see the defense playing farther up the pitch, hence open to counter attacks, which is more difficult to deal with with a defense line playing high up than a defence line playing deep (like Juve).

Performance-wise, I'd say Juventus or Chelsea. Individually, Milan. However, considering the style of play between these three teams, I'd have to say Milan's defense has been the best and the defense has balanced the attacking prowess that the team has, and Milan has good records in both attack and defense so far this year.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Andr3w said:

I would say the Juventus and Milan defenses are about equal, however Milan usually has more possession which takes the strain off of the defense. Juventus does not usually have copius amounts of possession, so the defense is getting tested more. Juventus has the best defense in Europe, Milan is right behind, and Chelsea comes in third.
??? Where did I write that? Anyway Milan have better defenders, Nesta is Number1 and we have Maldini with Stam who are worldclass qith Cafu and Kaladze!
Thuram and Cannavaro are great but Legrottalie, Zebina and Montero are far behind them.
We have perhaps more possession but that means nothing! Let me explaim myself. If you try to play in the other's squad half and lose the ball, counter-attack will hurt even more, so I don't think that is a point which makes Juve defense stronger!!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
il_capitano said:
??? Where did I write that? Anyway Milan have better defenders, Nesta is Number1 and we have Maldini with Stam who are worldclass qith Cafu and Kaladze!
Thuram and Cannavaro are great but Legrottalie, Zebina and Montero are far behind them.
We have perhaps more possession but that means nothing! Let me explaim myself. If you try to play in the other's squad half and lose the ball, counter-attack will hurt even more, so I don't think that is a point which makes Juve defense stronger!!
Like I said before, you can counter that by saying Juventus is always being attacked and has to endur more stress on the defense. So by looking at our defensive record, Juventus has the best defense in Europe, no matter what style we play.

Nesta could be the best defender in the world but Cannavaro and Thuram are on the same level. Maldini is still a world class defender but not as much as before. Stam is a great defender but not on the level of Thuram and Cannavaro, plus Jaap has been out with injury. Cafu beats Zebina at the RB role, however we have Zambrotta on the left who is certainly better than Kaladze. Milan has more qaulity defenders, though, as Juve do not have a player like Costacurta who is still able to give good performances at his age. I would say both defenses are on par with one another.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Stam has been injured most of it.

Regarding Thuram, it helps having Canna alongside him. Especially after their time at Parma.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Andr3w said:
Like I said before, you can counter that by saying Juventus is always being attacked and has to endur more stress on the defense. So by looking at our defensive record, Juventus has the best defense in Europe, no matter what style we play.
The thing is that, Juve mostly play the midfield covering the defence. Milan plays without the midfield coverign the defence.

Both Juve and Milan have not conceded more than 2 goals in one game in Serie A. Milan has 10 clean sheets while Juve has 11. Milan conceded a total of 11 goals in Serie A, one more than Juve, while in total scoring 1 goal less than Juve with 32 goals in the league. All this may point to Juve having the better record, and the better defence.

However, taking ur argument saying that Juve is better because it handles more stress on its defence, its unfair to say they are better because they defend better WITH the midfield covering their back line. Thus the stress is shared with the midfield, while in Milan's case, most of the time, the defence is not covered by the midfield, and rely on the individual prowess of the defenders. Because of this, I don't agree saying Juve has the best defence, because that defence is part of their playing style.

Milan on the other hand, while playing their brand of attacking footie, has a defence that has conceded only 1 goal more in total than Juve in the league, all while not having a midfield that protects the defence. Maybe Milan has scored less than Juve, but that can be attributed to the fact that teams play like Juve against Milan - defend and counter. Juve plays with less enterprise than Milan, and scores more thru set-pieces and counter attacks.

Having a defence that compromises the team's overall style of play is nothing great. Having a solid defence with a great attack who does not rely on set-pieces and counter attacks, at the same time prone to counter attacks themselves is a better testament to having a greater defence. It is a measure of how good the defense are when the defense stands out and balances the attacking prowess of a team, not to mention being an integral part of the attacking play of a team (Cafu, Kaladze, Pancaro).

Jvue might have the better (and best) DEFENSIVE RECORD, but Milan arguably has the better defence.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
the Arsenal defence is the best , it's just our goalkeepers and midfield are all shit, case closed m'lud. :cap:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts