Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seriously our defence never looked as good as it did yesterday.even oleguer looked gud while the puyol marquez partnership is arguably the best in the world,plus the midfield cover of edmilson and motta gives a lot of solidity.for me this is the best defence barca had in years.
opinion guyz

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
In years? It's the best defense I can recall in the Camp Nou and I'm not talking about Puyol and Márquez, I'm talking about the best defensive system that I've seen in Barça since I see the team.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Koeman4 said:
In years? It's the best defense I can recall in the Camp Nou and I'm not talking about Puyol and Márquez, I'm talking about the best defensive system that I've seen in Barça since I see the team.
I totally agree! :thumbsup:
The way Motta and Edmilson cover the sapces, Deco running all the time aiding help to whoever needs it, Eto'o, messi, and Larsson pressing all the time on the opponent's defenders.. simply AMAZING!!!! Rijkaard was a genius defensive player, and now he is proving it as a manager...

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
No doubt, it's a team effort. Your full-backs still remain average at best, but the fact you defend so superbly as a UNIT neutralises that.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Even Oleguer looks great. I was bashing him and wanted this guy dead earlier but he inproved a lot and I like him now.
This is something like apologies to Oleguer :)

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Im finally happy weve found an arguable world class centreback partnership. Marquez is showing why he was rated highly before we signed him and unlike in the case of last season with Oleguer, isnt getting carried by Puyol.

The others I think we owe alot more to the system. Sylvinho, Bronkhorst, Oleguer and to an extent Edmilson are nowhere near the quality of being world class individually. We have to give Rijkaard credit for being able to implement a fully attacking system with an excellent defence, at that with 4 of the 6 being average and just above it!

I dont think we will truly appreciate how impressive this is until Rijkaard has left. Cryuff managed to get the attacking side down to a tee while the defence suffered, while Baresi´s Milan the opposite. While we could say neither our defense nor our attack is on equal terms with both it is without question that this is the first Barcelona team to be close to each (in my lifetime).

Imagine what happens if we get in quality fullbacks and though not necessary a world class DMC.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Yes, this team is defending quite well. But as you say, if this season is really good, imagine our chances in the next years when we get more cover on the wings and possibly another strong DM if needed.

If that happens, we'll be really hard to deal with.

Can't remember seeing Barca defend so organized EVER.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Maz speaks the absolute truth. In the traditional flat-back-four with minimal midfield cover, that defence would get mutilated. Individually, it is weak. But collectively, it often seems like we've got an extra man both in attack and defense, it works out marvelously. I've always been a bit critical of Rijkaard for being a bit inflexible with his system, but when it works out this well, you can hardly blame him for that. Much respect.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Maz said:
Im finally happy weve found an arguable world class centreback partnership. Marquez is showing why he was rated highly before we signed him and unlike in the case of last season with Oleguer, isnt getting carried by Puyol.

The others I think we owe alot more to the system. Sylvinho, Bronkhorst, Oleguer and to an extent Edmilson are nowhere near the quality of being world class individually. We have to give Rijkaard credit for being able to implement a fully attacking system with an excellent defence, at that with 4 of the 6 being average and just above it!

I dont think we will truly appreciate how impressive this is until Rijkaard has left. Cryuff managed to get the attacking side down to a tee while the defence suffered, while Baresi´s Milan the opposite. While we could say neither our defense nor our attack is on equal terms with both it is without question that this is the first Barcelona team to be close to each (in my lifetime).

Imagine what happens if we get in quality fullbacks and though not necessary a world class DMC.
What world class DMC's are available nowadays that are better than Edmílson?

·
Registered
476 Posts
In the Chelsea game I think Rafa was one of our best, he even outshined Puyol.
Not sure about best in the world as our CB never scores any nice goals on corners but sure, they have became very very good and they improve every game.
If someone said CL QF without Messi and Puyol 2 moths ago I would have started to cry but now ...
I have a very good feeling now about the rest of the season, very good indeed.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Barçawinner said:
What world class DMC's are available nowadays that are better than Edmílson?
I mentioned its not necessary so whether there available or not shouldnt be part of the question. To go for a world class DMC you would have to bid for those that you make available through your bid. But from the available or atleast cheaper end of it.

Mascereno

And just a notch below world class but could be an option if they relegate.

Orbaiz

What I will say is Marquez, Edmilson and Motta have all looked excellent in that position. Is it more to the system or the players?

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Maz said:
I mentioned its not necessary so whether there available or not shouldnt be part of the question. To go for a world class DMC you would have to bid for those that you make available through your bid. But from the available or atleast cheaper end of it.

Mascereno

And just a notch below world class but could be an option if they relegate.

Orbaiz

What I will say is Marquez, Edmilson and Motta have all looked excellent in that position. Is it more to the system or the players?
Orbaiz better than Eddie? :eek:

Mascherano.. how much has he played the last 365 days?

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Barçawinner said:
Orbaiz better than Eddie? :eek:

Mascherano.. how much has he played the last 365 days?
Orbaiz would be an excellent option if Bilbao relegate. Lets not base him on the current Bilbao situation but hes probably the best DMC in the league when on form. Apart from his height for headering, what part of Edmilson game is better in your view?

Maschereno, just back from injury but I dont see why that would matter. Wont Xavi be world class because hes been injured or indeed someone I bet you rate very highly, Chivu.

In the end, Edmilson is doing well and it isnt necessary to replace as theres more glaring defiencies.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts