Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a misplaced rugby thread, just wondering which players you consider to be the best examples of moving to a new position and flourishing. Goalies who moved into centre midfield, wingers who crossed over, centre-halves who prospered up front (anyone remember Paul Warhusrt?) and ageing DMs who made the centre-half position their own.

I'll be lazy and cite Zambrotta's move from right-wing to left-back, but I'm sure you can come up with better.

·
Registered
40,672 Posts
Giovanni van Bronckhorst, from midfielder to leftback.

Sinisa Mihajlovic, from midfielder to central defender.

Michael Reiziger, from winger to wingback.

Winston Bogarde, from striker to centreback.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drulo said:
Giovanni van Bronckhorst, from midfielder to leftback.

Michael Reiziger, from winger to wingback.

Winston Bogarde, from striker to centreback.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
OK, but I was hoping for players who actually had some talent :D

Bogarde was a defender when he went to Chelsea, then he was right back at the bus-stop when they travelled away then he was a striker when he refused to play despite being paid 40 grand a week, is that it? ;)

·
Registered
40,672 Posts
:D

Well sorry if Barca, Inter and Chelsea etc aren't big enough teams for you.

Bogarde once upon a time almost finished topscorer of the Dutch league, I know :eek:, that was when he was a striker at Sparta.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
What position did Toure initially sign in Jern?

who knows ? :googly:

his favourite piosition is CB so probably Wenger first saw him there, however he has played at every position bar GK since then :D

you may remember his debut, i think it was against your lot when he came on at LW.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drulo said:
:D

Well sorry if Barca, Inter and Chelsea etc aren't big enough teams for you.
They're certainly big enough teams for me, and even too big for poor Winston.
Nah, to be honest I've rarely seen him play (me and a million Chelsea fans), so I can' criticise him. However I have to criticise whatever twat decided to sign him on a five year contract, pay him the GMP of Botswana and never pick him.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Yeah, vaguely. I also remember him playing AM against Chelsea soon after.

When he gets converted to RB it'll be him anyway.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
Yeah, vaguely. I also remember him playing AM against Chelsea soon after.

When he gets converted to RB it'll be him anyway.
last season he played at RB for about a month, he played there in the game when we beat Inter 5-1, he was fantastic although this season he hasn't been as good, lacking in confidence.

another good one is Petit...from LB/CB to one of the best DMs in the last decade. :star:

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Well, besides the Zambrotta switch, I would pick Pirlo under Ancelotti. Pirlo started out as a trequarista, playing as a prototypical number 10, and Ancelotti transformed him into a deep-lying midfielder, slotting right in front of the defense. He basically controls Milan's posession game now.

Pirlo is Milan's most important player, and soon to be Italy's.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Phillip Cocu have played in a lot of positions and played well. But the best would be Henry, winger to striker

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
We're 12 posts in this thread and noone has mentioned Andrea Pirlo yet? :eek:

And of course LEONARDO.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Scusa?

AMOROSO! said:
We're 12 posts in this thread and noone has mentioned Andrea Pirlo yet? :eek:

And of course LEONARDO.
Andy said:
Well, besides the Zambrotta switch, I would pick Pirlo under Ancelotti. Pirlo started out as a trequarista, playing as a prototypical number 10, and Ancelotti transformed him into a deep-lying midfielder, slotting right in front of the defense. He basically controls Milan's posession game now.

Pirlo is Milan's most important player, and soon to be Italy's.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Noone mentioned Christian Karambeu? :eek: ;)

I think I was most impressed with Desailly. From midfield to defence and becoming the world's best in his new position.

·
Registered
46,513 Posts
Drulo said:
This one has to be the best.
I remember when Mihajlovic used to play at left midfield in the Sampdoria team and the supporters booed him. Then Sven Goran Eriksson transformed him in center back and the results were soon very good.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts