Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not English, not Scottish, but British :stuckup:
Have your say :shades:

·
International
9,526 Posts
do you mean over the course of one season in one of the domestic leagues? A few spring to mind.

Celtic 1967, 70
Man Utd in 58 (before the crash), 68 and 99.
Liverpool in 79, 84 and 90.
Spurs 61
Arsenal early 30s
Notts Forest in 80
the sunderland team of Raich Carter
Celtic team of Jimmy McGrory

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Spurs early 60s
Portsmouth 49-50
Forest 77-80
Liverpool 86-90
Man Utd 99-01

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
u can add watford in the early eighties. :)

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would it be fair to say that among all the teams listed, perhaps Liverpool should be crowned the Best of British. I remember some time ago somebody mentioning Arsenal in the 30's :stuckup:

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Green One said:
Man City 1968-1971 in terms of trophies, and we did well in the UEFA Cup, League and Lee Cup up until 1978.

~ The Green ;)ne
:eekani: :eekani: :eekani:

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Fred Elliot said:
Liverpool in 79, 84 and 90.
Liverpool '78 defended the European Cup they won a year earlier. I think that side would be better than the '79 side.

Overall ... it should be Liverpool for winning 4 European Cups starting from '77 and ending in '84 ('77, '78, '81, '84) in addition to reaching the final in '85.

Even though the squads changed in this time but the achievement speaks for itself. Phenomenal!

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Haroon said:
Liverpool '78 defended the European Cup they won a year earlier. I think that side would be better than the '79 side.

Overall ... it should be Liverpool for winning 4 European Cups starting from '77 and ending in '84 ('77, '78, '81, '84) in addition to reaching the final in '85.

Even though the squads changed in this time but the achievement speaks for itself. Phenomenal!

the 1979 side went out to Forest the evnetua winners, but they got revenge by trouncing them in the League and letting something like 16 goals all season, it was basically the same side as 78 anyway, so it's a bit pedantic to start doing this, we all know what team Fred meant. :pp

1989 side of Liverpool is remembered a lot by their fans as their best side because they won matches and were very pleasing on the eye, a lot of people think this team could have had a chance against Milan, alas they were pipped by unfancied Arsenal in the greatest finish to a championship in history. ;)

big mention to the Arsenal 1935 team, seven of the starting XI for England, arguably the world's greatest side back then. :star:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Interesting that noone's mentioned Revie's Leeds United (yet). Even I can name the classic line-up - Sprake, Reaney, Cooper, Charlton, Hunter, Madeley, Bremner, Giles, Gray, Jones, Clarke. Are they still hated for their dirty, cheating ways? Beaten gloriously by Celtic over 2 legs in 1970, btw.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
match-fixers! revie was the biggest crook in football and it should be his name that is touted when people mention englands worst manager not the turnip's.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Diavolo said:
:eekani: :eekani: :eekani:
Whys that so shocking? We've won more trophies than Chelsea. Only United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Villa and Newcastle have won more than us. If we hadn't signed Rodney Marsh in 74 we'd have won the League again. I can recall us putting your mob to the sword in 1977 anyway.

~ The Green :rolleyes:ne

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
The Green One said:
We've won more trophies than Chelsea. Only United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Villa and Newcastle have won more than us.
Only 7 sides. :D Nottingham Forest with two European Cups should make it 8. :tongue:

·
International
9,526 Posts
Haroon said:

well, I was just trying to pick out individual teams from individual seasons as when we starting getting into great teams over a number of seasons, then teams like Notts forest, spurs etc get left out of the equation.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
the 1979 side went out to Forest the evnetua winners, but they got revenge by trouncing them in the League and letting something like 16 goals all season, it was basically the same side as 78 anyway, so it's a bit pedantic to start doing this, we all know what team Fred meant. :pp
I consider a side that defends the European Cup to be better than a side that wins the league. You can count the clubs that have defended the European Cup on your hands. :stuckup:

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Fred Elliot said:
well, I was just trying to pick out individual teams from individual seasons as when we starting getting into great teams over a number of seasons, then teams like Notts forest, spurs etc get left out of the equation.
Point taken. ;)

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Haroon said:
Only 7 sides. :D Nottingham Forest with two European Cups should make it 8. :tongue:
I said who'd won more trophies, not more European Cups. Forest have only won the League Once, and never won the FA Cup.

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How about we make it the best 3 British sides ever :stuckup:

Would this list reflect the truth?

Kevin Keegan's Liverpool
Bobby Charlton's Manchester United
Arsenal in the 30's

runners up Mourinho's Chelsea ;)

P.S. Just a wild guess, you lot know better :cool: