Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Roy Wegerle and Alexi Lalas to a modern wave of DaMarcus Beasley and Clint Mathis, Americans have long made their way overseas.

But which of these players has shone brighter than the rest? Who would win the award for the best ever U.S. export?

My vote goes to Brad Friedel. The definition of consistency, he's been a wonderful goalkeeper for an average team for years, playing at a higher level than his other two American compatriots in the Premiership and one in Division 1, he's really been a bright spot for us.

What do you say?

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Isaac said:
From Roy Wegerle and Alexi Lalas to a modern wave of DaMarcus Beasley and Clint Mathis, Americans have long made their way overseas.

But which of these players has shone brighter than the rest? Who would win the award for the best ever U.S. export?

My vote goes to Brad Friedel. The definition of consistency, he's been a wonderful goalkeeper for an average team for years, playing at a higher level than his other two American compatriots in the Premiership and one in Division 1, he's really been a bright spot for us.

What do you say?
Brad Friedel to date has been our best player abroad . Yet Beasley Carlos, and Zak Whitbread will problably be better products. Who you cant judge on yet as they heve not been there long.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Steve cherundolo who plays for Hannover , he is one of da better defenders in the bundeliga this yr...2 goals and 3 assists so far and he is only 24! At da moment I think Steve is the best yank abroad.

John O'brien who plays for ajax! He was a good player , but da damn injuries is holdin or held his career back! he would of been the best yank abroad ever.

Bocanegra is going to be good..although his ideal position is center back , he is playing left back for Fulham.

Donovon should be a good/very good or an averige player player in Europe? he is hard to figure out.

I think Spector(manU) will make it big in Europe and Oneywu will have a good , good euro career(plays for standard leige)

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, Beasley is playing superbly, but he hasn't been there long enough to show he can be as consistent as Friedel.

Spector stands a great chance of becoming a real force, he's a bright talent, one for the future. (If not now)

O'Brien, without injuries, was brilliant and could've been the greatest. He's still young, he can improve.

Does anyone else remember how John Harkes got the Premiership goal of the season not once but twice while he was at Sheffield Wednesday.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I like the way Beasley plays and with PSV playing well this season, we could expect to see him in more Champions Leage action.

Bocanegra also is playing well IMO

Spector is young but has caught the eye of AF, so he has a future at Man Utd

·
Registered
447 Posts
Friedel has defenitly had the best carrier over seas but i think Beasley will end up with a better carreer than the players playin overseas now hes doing really good wit PSV so hopefully he can only improve

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
I was a big fan of Keller, he came from a small club with no American experience and made it to 1st division in England and Spain and think he has been more consistent than Friedel, but Friedel had the best year of any American abroad.

I am not a big fan of Bocanegra, I find him incosistent. Beasly has surprised me in a somwaht defensive PSV as has a very underrated Cherundolo. O'Brien was as strong holding mid as they come, but his knees have proven not to be as strong. There was even talk about him going to Barcelona only a couple of years ago but he got hurt yet again.

Claudio Reyna also had a nice career overseas playing for not so good teams.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
beasley doing good is not a big surprise to me . He aint the most talented player , but what he does have is great determination , heart and he will out work, out run many players off the pitch and he loves da game :thmbup:

Reyna also had a very decent european career.

Mathis would of been a great player(as good as O'Brien..methinks) , if it wasnt for his 2 f-ed up knees , beers...kags in his basement , cigars , stumbling into bars and his work ethic :thmbdown:

Onewyu is also a talented playa! He might go to Lazio! He is under the US radar..as is Cherundolo , but these 2 are going to have long and good/very good careers :star:

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
1,944 Posts
Yup I agree with you guys.

The top tier of yanks playing in Europe include Beasley, Cherundolo and to and extent, Bocanegra as well. Spector deserves praise because he's considered one of the top CB prospects in the WORLD based on potential, but hasn't really played much if at all at ManU. Onewyu is also a pretty talented player. I'd like to see him get a chance at a larger club because I don't think he would disappoint.

·
I Need More Cowbell!
7,047 Posts
Friedel has had the most steady career abroad out of all Americans by far but then again the US has always produced good keepers.

Now, on the thread's intro I have no clue how Lalas' name got mixed up in the 'best yanks to ever play abroad' sentence.

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Loco said:
Now, on the thread's intro I have no clue how Lalas' name got mixed up in the 'best yanks to ever play abroad' sentence.
I was mentioning Americans who had played abroad. Lalas went to Italy and played in the Serie A in the 90's.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Isaac said:
I was mentioning Americans who had played abroad. Lalas went to Italy and played in the Serie A in the 90's.
He was the first American to ever play in it

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
lalas played for Ac milan

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, I don't think it was AC Milan, was it? I think it was a smaller side, like Sampordia.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Of the players to have played in England it's Friedel by a distance. At one point, about 18 months ago he was a genuine world class keeper.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Reyna by far look at the career

G

·
0 Posts
I vote for myself. But next to me, I would go with Steve Cherundolo as field player, Friedel as keeper.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts