Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today the procès is open, to have killed his girl friend marie trintignant, cantat gonna being judged.
if the passion crime is reconized, he risk 6 years jail, if it's reconized as a murder, then he risk 15 years.
i will post the update when i will know more.

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, the sentence will be given monday.
the prosecutor asked for 9 years of jail.
bertrand cantat didn't react, he did when the marie's mother said that his kids became "kids of murder". he cryed.

the ex wife of cantat defended him, she said he never hit her. bertrand is not a violent man, i would never share the life of a violent man during 10 years.
to have a good defense, cantat did have to charge characteristic aspect of marie's comportement. i think he didn't for her memory.

the prosecutor said that bertrand cantat was perfectly aware of what he did at the moment of the drama. but he reconized the jealousy was the cause.

marie's mother said something very hard, she said :

"Si cet homme est pardonné, ce serait comme si chaque homme aimant une femme portait une promesse de mort"

means :

"if this man is forgiven, it would be as if each man loving a woman would carry a death promess".

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Dare I say I expected worse?

"According to the judges' opinion, the guilt of the accused is indisputable," the presiding judge said, noting that Cantat "did not want the consequences" of his acts.

"...Obviously, we will appeal this decision," said Cantat's lawyer Olivier Metzner.

Prosecutors had asked the Vilnius court to send Cantat to prison for nine years, while his attorneys argued that the charges be reduced from murder to reckless manslaughter, which carried a lesser penalty.

Cantat testified that he had slapped Trintignant hard four times in the hotel room. An autopsy concluded that she died from the blows.

Prosecutor Vladimiras Serguejevas said Cantat was "fully aware of his actions, and he could not have been unaware of the gravity of the situation".

The trial ended last Monday with Cantat making a final emotional plea for forgiveness from Trintignant's family.

"I know that I can do nothing. I know that I can only ask forgiveness as I have done since the beginning - to ask for forgiveness from the depths of my heart," he told the court.
A court in Lithuania has sentenced a French rock star to eight years in prison for killing his actress girlfriend during a fight.
Bertrand Cantat, 40, was convicted of fatally beating Marie Trintignant, 41, in a Vilnius hotel room last year.

Cantat, lead singer with Noir Desir, had admitted killing Ms Trintignant but said it was an accident.

Prosecutors had sought a sentence of nine years, saying Cantat had known the gravity of his actions.

Impassive

The singer's lawyers wanted a reduced charge of reckless manslaughter, which carried a lesser penalty.

Affair that ended in tragedy
Cantat remained impassive as the verdict was announced.

"According to the judges' opinion, the guilt of the accused is indisputable," the presiding judge said, noting that Cantat "did not want the consequences" of his acts.

When asked if he understood the sentence, Cantat replied: "Yes".

Cantat's lawyer, Olivier Metzner, said he will appeal against the verdict.

Remorseful

Ms Trintignant's killing and Cantat's trial gripped France, where both are well-known personalities.

During the trial, the court heard that Cantat hit Ms Trintignant four times as they rowed in the hotel last July.

Ms Trintignant, the daughter of French film star Jean-Louis Trintignant, died five days later from swelling of the brain.

Cantat admitted slapping Ms Trintignant, but said he did not intend to kill her.

"I don't understand. I just can't understand," Cantat told the court.

"We lived an extraordinary moment, I loved Marie with all my being. I loved her and I'll always love her. I think of her each second and I'll always think of her. I can't erase her from my memory," he said.

Nadine Trintignant, the victim's mother, has rejected Cantat's explanations, and labelled him a "murderer" in a book she wrote about her daughter.

I wonder what Jean-Louis Tritignant would make of the whole thing? A great person, I wonder if he would come to terms with Cantat, even though his wife hasn't.

·
Registered
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think the cantat's laywer will make an appeal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts