Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to reports in Israeli media, Avraham Grant is counting on Berkovic already for the game with Switzerland next month. After hearing about Berkovic's latest games with Portsmouth (and the praise he's recieved from Harry Redknapp) Grant has been convinced that Berkovic belongs in the National team. Another reason is Benayoun's injury, he didn't play with Racing Yesterday and will have to sit the next few weeks out. I guess some of you are very happy right now :) And personally, I'd welcome him back too.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I'm personally not happy with that call. Berkovic, from his last match, was good, but constantly slowed down the offence everytime a ball reached him (reminds me of someone else in the NT). But, if it is on the expense of Nimni, I welcome that decision.

·
Registered
497 Posts
agreed, and while i like the new direction our NT has taken i think that if benayoun isnt on the field than berkovic should be the one to replace him. otherwise we should keep the same lineup.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carpe Noctem said:
agreed, and while i like the new direction our NT has taken i think that if benayoun isnt on the field than berkovic should be the one to replace him. otherwise we should keep the same lineup.
That's the way I see it as well.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
I like Berkovic mentality, that he will never quit the NT as long as he is being called up for a game. I welcome him to the squad with open arms. I think he is a great leader in General and along with Nimny, he can surely lead a young team into some great victories hopefully...

I still want to see Benayoun in action, but like Capre said, we should keep the squad as it is. Its young, creative and very strategic....

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Well it seems Grant is listening to me ;)
Berkovic should always be welcomed to the NT and his class definitely will help Israel against Switzerland. Even tough some said he holds too much the ball I believe in a game like that we need ball possession, as the swiss are probably coming cautious to Israel. And to penetrate in a tight defence which Israeli player can find spaces? Berkovic. I hope he really does get called and with Benayoun also in the squad, playing his position and Berkovic in expense of Avi Nimni, then we would gain a lot, the ability of Benayoun and the creativity of Berkovic.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
I hope that Berkovic is the missing key to our success in this group. I am cautiious on the swiss, but if Berkovic can make his magic, do amazing passes and help us score...im all for it :D

Welcome back Berkovic!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Eyal Berkovic has said that he has no intention of reporting to Israel's next WC qualifier against Switzerland. He said that even if Grant calls him back he will not show up. This is all the result of Berkovic's anger with Grant for leaving him out of the original squad.

With Benayoun hurt, Israel will have a hole in center midfield. They already have trouble scoring goals, and having no playmaker will make it more difficult.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
amfan said:
Eyal Berkovic has said that he has no intention of reporting to Israel's next WC qualifier against Switzerland. He said that even if Grant calls him back he will not show up. This is all the result of Berkovic's anger with Grant for leaving him out of the original squad.

With Benayoun hurt, Israel will have a hole in center midfield. They already have trouble scoring goals, and having no playmaker will make it more difficult.

This is horrible news!!
Berkovic even stated that he is already aware of his age/strenght ability. He knows that he just cannot go on and when he perfoms good (like he does in pompey) than he will be alloweed to play again!!!

I think he is back-wording stuff that he says, and im rather hurt by what he said, since he will give his 100% all the time with the NT, no matter when he gets a call up...

Sad :(

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
Grant has some nerve thinking to call in Berkovich because Benayoun was injured. IT's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Grant is a terrible terrible coach. Benayoun is not injured anymore so Grant doesn't need him anymore right?? Stupid Grant, I hate him. You know that statisically Grant is our worst coach ever if you see the number of levels we went down in the FIFA standing after he became coach.. :stress: not envoking Berkovich against France, the only player actually familiar with the French players playing against them in the Premierleague was the most moronic decision ever made by a coach in the history of the football game in the last two centuries.

·
Registered
497 Posts
yes but he was used plenty in the last qualie campaign it doesnt explain why we couldnt perform on the whole. We still lost to france 3-0, 2-1, and now we have our best result against them since 1993, which wasnt competitive, without Eyal and you call him retarted. Results are results, and for some reason playing berkovic the whole field sits on him waiting for him to make all the action.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Why are we mad at Grant?

Either way, if Berkovic is gonna get the royal treatment, he would screw up for our team.

Look at games with pompey... He constantly slows down, eventhough he makes good passes. Berkovic is good, but when you have him, a 30+ player who isn't in the best form of his life, with hungry 20-23 year olds swooshing him out of the way...then there we have some problems...

so even if he would/wouldn't be called, he would make a fuss. I just read the article AMfan was talking about!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Excerpts from Berkovic interview:

["If Grant were to call me up I would get on the first flight to Israel. I love the team so much that I would return immediately and show up for duty with no questions asked. I still haven't taken in the fact that there are other players on the team and that the coach isn't counting on me."]

["We don't play on the same slot. Benayoun is a footballing genius, you could say the Mozart of goal scoring. A fantastic player. Comparisons between us are irrelevant. It's a shame that he plays for a small team like Santander. I have no doubt he will soon be with one of the big clubs in Europe."]

["The national team is part of my heart, the national anthem gives me the shudders even though I have heard it hundreds of times from the youth team through to the seniors. I love to be in the dressing room and put on the national colors. I do it slowly and every time I feel as if its the first time the coach has given me the chance to put on the national shirt. I'll say it again, I really hope Grant calls me up for the game against Cyprus."]

It sounds like Berkovic senses that something special is happening with the Israeli team and he wants to be a part of it.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's nice to hear but I don't think Grant will do it, he is convinced our attack is working as it should and the problem is in defense. And looking on our last games you can't say he is wrong but people still feel Eyal would add a lot to our attacking game, so much that we wouldn't have to worry about defense. I think Cyprus away is one of these games where we may well need both Berkovic and Benayoun.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
I love Eyal! He is a great player.
This guy, no matter of his strenght and weaknesses, would give 100% to the NT all the time. I think for so long now, there hasn't been a player who has been more committed to the NT then berkovic, but i guess his time has come and he must give in to other players, more young and dynamic.. He gave in to Benayoun, who was a charm under his expense in Israel's loss in Portugal (2-1) in 2001. Benayoun was his wing, and Yossi never developed when Berkovic has the Captain band. Moeller and in the early parts of Grants stint, never saw much of Benayoun.. When he started to charm in Spain, he gave him his chance..

I think that if Yaniv Katan would be fit and balili, than we can have a good form to go in and perhaps win (can i say the W word when i talk about Cyprus at home? :rollani: ) in Nicosica...

But if that doesn't occur...than Berkovic can be called up. I am sure that no matter what, Berkovic is always willing to put on the beutiful jersey :proud: and give it his best anywhere, anyhow, anytime for Israel!!!

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Once again the light is shunned into Berkovic's Direction....

Grant is trying to make the lineup for the clash vs. Cyprus and since injuries succumb to Golan, Nimny and Katan, Grant proposed to call Berkovic in the line up, since he has been doing relatively well in the EPL.

Don't know how good it will be since Berkovic might slow down our midfield and create a havoc to score...but its berkovic......and he is still ready to put the blue and white jersey on....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts