Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GOOD LUCK WALCOTT.. YOU'RE GUNNER NEED IT
EXCLUSIVE BENTLEY'S ADVICE TO ARSENAL'S NEW BRIT PRODIGY

DAVID BENTLEY has warned Arsenal's new wonderkid Theo Walcott of the struggle he faces to establish himself as a firstteam regular under Arsene Wenger.

Walcott is considered one of the hottest talents in the game but Bentley knows from bitter personal experience just how hard it is for a young player to succeed at Arsenal.

Bentley, now a first-team regular with Blackburn, comes up against his former club for the first time today when the Gunners travel to Ewood Park with only a point separating the teams.

Much is expected of 16-year-old Walcott since his bigmoney move to the Premiership, but he has yet to make his debut for the Gunners.

And Bentley warned the former Southampton prodigy he may be forced to endure a spell in Arsenal's supporting cast, just like he did, before being given a chance to make his mark.

"It shouldn't be hard for a player of Theo's quality to break into the Arsenal first team, as a number of players have done that," said Bentley.

"But he may find a few difficulties along the way, and whether he is given a chance is another matter.

"I'm not bitter about the fact younger players are not getting a chance at Arsenal. To be honest, I didn't really enjoy my day-to-day life at Arsenal.

"I've been away from the club for a couple of years now and I find it hard to remember my time there.

"I'm just happy to be playing regularly now, which is something I was never able to do at Arsenal. I've always had confidence in my ability and now I can prove it.

"My advice to Theo would be to just keep his head down, keep enjoying it and, if he does run into difficulties, to just keep playing his football."

Bentley has flourished since sealing a transfer-deadline day permanent move from Arsenal to Blackburn, where he had been on loan since the start of the season.

And the striker, 21, celebrated the move in style with a stunning hat-trick in Blackburn's 4-3 win over Manchester United the day after the deal was completed.

Despite coming through the ranks at Highbury and then seeing his hopes of a career there dashed after just 14 first-team appearances, Bentley insisted he bears no ill-feeling towards Wenger.

He is just grateful to finally be playing regular football and he knows his hat-trick against United would have been highly unlikely had he still been at Arsenal.

"I've only been playing at the top level for the last couple of years so it was definitely the highlight of my career so far," said Bentley.

"When you score a hat-trick against a club the size of United it gets you noticed.

"It promotes you to a different level and I guess people might expect the same every week. But all I can do is make sure I keep working hard and maintain a high level of performance every time I play."

Wenger maintains he has no regrets about allowing Bentley to leave.

He said: "At some stage you have to let people make their own career. If they do not get in your team you have to be big enough to say 'go somewhere else and play'.

"I like David Bentley because he has personality, a determined attitude, belief in his ability and he is technically fantastic. He is a little bit of a Beckham-type player."

It is a measure of how far Mark Hughes has taken Blackburn in less than two years in charge that they now find themselves just a point behind Arsenal and in the hunt for a European spot.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
He is just jealous to Theo. The fact is he was hailed once as DB10 successor, but he is not good enough to live up to the expectation. I like Bentley because he has good playmaker talent, but he is definitely not as good as Robin van Persie or Fabregas.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to say when I first read it it sounds like a cheap shot aimed at Arsenal, anyway Walcott pisses all over him in terms of ability.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
I can understand their bitter feeling for not being able to get into our first team, but we could have hold them at bench forever if we want. However, that will destroy their career and Wenger knew it. So we decided to loan or permanently off them like Upson, Volz, Wright, Aliadiere, Bentley, Pennant to other clubs. To them, maybe we are unfair, but if we looked into deeper fact, even some players like Pennant and Upson were coming at high prices and it's not our fault if they were not patient enough of getting first-team chance.

We do have player in the past who left Arsenal because of unsuccessful youth spell, but being re-signed again because of he improved and became better player with other club in Martin Keown. So going to other clubs doesn't mean will leave in mediocrity for whole life. If you're good enough, then something good will happen to you.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
tbh Zhuge, letting go of Keown was a mistake on our part, he had already proved to be a great prospect in our team before that, he certainly proved ten times what Bentley and Pennant have.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
Bentley could only make it on the bench today, yeah he is really showing us we let go a superstar isn't he? :rollani:
He came on today to play for the winning side. Pennant got the assist for the brum as well.

What did Walcott do?

Bentley has no reason to be jealous of Walcott who has gone from first team football to not even making the bench. Not to mention the fact Blackburn are above Arsenal. With West Ham on equal points with a game in hand. And Bolton with three games in hand only a few points behind.

·
63,337 Posts
Marc said:
He came on today to play for the winning side. Pennant got the assist for the brum as well.
wow, he came on for 20 minutes, and Pennant got an assist at Brum, blimey we have let the new Messi and Rooney's go. :eekani:

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
wow, he came on for 20 minutes, and Pennant got an assist at Brum, blimey we have let the new Messi and Rooney's go. :eekani:
Both of which are far more than not even being on a bench. And Bentley is sitting above your lot.

·
63,337 Posts
Marc said:
Both of which are far more than not even being on a bench. And Bentley is sitting above your lot.
if Bentley wants to play every week he should go to Wolves then, he won't even have to sit on a bench there, then he can proper brag and moan that the Arsenal never gave him his chance.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
if Bentley wants to play every week he should go to Wolves then, he won't even have to sit on a bench there, then he can proper brag and moan that the Arsenal never gave him his chance.
Why bother dropping down a division when he can stay above Arsenal. :) Its clear he never got a proper chance, same with Pennant and I haven't seen anything to suggest Walcott will have a better time.

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
Never thought he was good enough to be a playmaker for a decent Premiership side - doesn't have the brain for it. Like his attitude though and good luck to him in going off to establish himself. Could do without the needless cheapshots at Arsenal though.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Not only does he not have the brain to be a playmaker at this level he's also lightweight and unbelievably slow.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Bentley can say all the stuuf he likes, but it isn't going to make him anymore of a selection in the eyes of Wenger if he doesn't produce the goods. I'm not a big fan of Bentley anyway, with his trademark scoop-shots that he sometimes scores lol.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I read his quotes in the paper and I didn't really interpret it as having a go at Arsenal. To be fair, I don't think Bentley is/was good enough for Arsenal and I had my doubts weather he was good enough for us when we signed him, and I'm still not 100% convinced.

As for Walcott, I'd have thought it was a given he will get plenty of chances. You don't pay however many million for someone then not play the guy.

·
63,337 Posts
Marc said:
Why bother dropping down a division when he can stay above Arsenal. :) Its clear he never got a proper chance, same with Pennant and I haven't seen anything to suggest Walcott will have a better time.
he got plenty of chances and he did nothing, he went to Norwich and didn't even do anything there, he has gone to Blackburn and hasn't stood out and can't even get in their team most weeks, yes he is really proving Wenger wrong so far.

·
63,337 Posts
mutu1875 said:
I read his quotes in the paper and I didn't really interpret it as having a go at Arsenal.
well it's not just these quotes but his quotes from last year as well, he clearly has an axe to grind now, same as Pennant.

thye should take a leaf out of Sidwell's book, he is the one that has realised the size of the task it was at Highbury and has got his head down without being bitter, he is now running his team and looks like he will have the best career out of the lot to me.

Sidwell is the only yoot player we released who i think will come back to bite us on the arse, especially iif we keep Gilberto in midfield for much longer.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts