Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another player who wasn't good enough anymore went to EPL, however it's sad to see all those former champs degrading themselves so low that they join crap clubs in England.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Sad to see him go.
He's a legend and will allways be remembered by the Parmafans.
But he wasn't guaranteed playingtime so I don't blame him for leaving.
Personally I would put him as our starting leftback, as he's shown that he still is good enough. But I'm not the coach.

Good luck Bennarivo! :)

After Canna and Bogho's gone, nobody will be left from the succesful team we had a few years ago. :(

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
NN, you're waaay too hard on the PL.

In my opinion letting Benarrivo go was a bad idea. If Juventus can win the scudetto with a 36 years old Ferrara as the best player of their defence, then surely Parma could use a 34 years old Benarrivo.

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
I'm sad to see Benny go. He was great this season. However, it's good that he's leaving while he's still great so that we can remember him as a champion rather than an old has been. It was also nice that he won the cup at his last game at Tardini. A very fitting end.

I'll try to follow Benny's career in England now. I hope he can get a second spring in England and enjoy his two last (?) years as a pro footballer.

As for the Premier League I must say that they have improved dramatically the last couple of years. Back then most foreigners were second grade. Now they have guys like Vieira, Ljungberg, Henry, Van Nistelrooy, Veron and a few others. They are also very interested in italian players now. I mean, Middlesbrough bought Maccarone. Who thinks Atalanta could buy Joe Cole, or some other young english star? It breaks my heart to say it but the PL now have an edge over Serie A when it comes to finances. They also have better stadiums for football. Easier to attract people to the stadiums etc etc... Italy and Serie A must get themselves together if they want to have the best league in the world. Now "we" risk losing more superstars. (Crespo, Ronaldo, Shevchenko...) Most probably to Spain though... But still. And when young guns like Cissé, Aghahowa and Diouf comes up they will join a british team, or at least state that their dream is to play in England. A few years ago Serie A was the dream, and also the likely destination. Not even Juventus, Milan and Inter can compete with the likes of United and Real these days. A few years ago they ruled these two teams. Both off and on the pitch. Real hadn't won the Champion's Cup since the early 60's or something and United never looked like winning anything in Europe after their triumph in 1968. Meanwhile Italy had one team in the CL final for 6 consecutive years or something. I remember when Barca bought Kluivert from Milan. I thought that Barca was Milan's garbage bin who bought those who weren't good enough for Serie A...

And only God knows why italian teams can't fill up their stadiums. The interest in football in Italy is immense but it seems they are still too lazy to go and cheer their team on and prefer staying in front of their TV. Something must change. Fast. Serie A is fading right now. :(

I guess we must hope for some good results for italian teams in the CL in the following years. This is the only thing that can turn the tide. And in order to do this italian coaches must learn from foreigners and stop playing in the same old way. The refs must also allow more physical play, or else italian teams will be unable to respond when they play against rougher teams in Europe.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's not really true but i agree with some part of it.

I still believe most players prefer Italy or Spain infront of England. Better climate, atmosphere, still good wages and most of all more attractive football with more space for techical players. There come out more talented Italians then Englishmen, so therafter they have to look for players abroad. The reason their league has improves is simply that they have more money these days.

Their Midtable teams like Boro, Sunderland and Fulham have got more money then teams like Bologna, Udinese and Perugia it seems so it's logical they get better players. Our top teams either waste their money on someone expensive or they don't sign any one at all. What kind of forwards had Milan, Udinese, Parma or Juve signed lately? Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea just costantly keep on signing new forwards. And each time there pop up someone new they get him. I recommended RVN, I recommended Wiltod and now Cissé but it looks like our "lazy" directors didn't want to sign them anyway.

Money makes the world go round, and that's why EPL can attract better players by now. If they woudldn't have money nor the 3 foreigner rule was changed they would be lightyears behind us right now too. How many English players would make it abroad? 5? How many Italians would make it abroad? 200 for sure. Even some of our worst players ar regulars in EPL teams.

About the degrading thing, i'm really sad that so many former stars in Italy join some English team when they are 30+ just to gain a starting position or some more cash. With all the love Bennarivo had for Parma he could have stayed same thing concerning Baresi who played 20 years for Milan and then decided to join Fulham as a transfer boss instead of becoming vice president for Milan. What is happening?

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Benny was a good leader outside the pitch and i can`t understand why Sacchi sold him. Now when we are bulding a team with youngsters we needed someone like Benny. Someone to show the way to the youngsters. I am very sad over this because i liked Benny a loth as a player and leader. I hope that he can come back as a coach or something else in the future.:depress:

Bye Benny...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thank you Benarrivo!

...but this is enough! Let the young players come!

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
nasty nick said:
it's sad to see all those former champs degrading themselves so low that they join crap clubs in England.

:howler:

He's only joining cause they're throwing **** loads of cash at him, I say take it.

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Actually I don't think it's official yet. I even think that Benny has been offered a one year extension to his contract at Parma.

All we can do now is pray for that to be true. :angel:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts