Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Benitex is the better coach but if Fat Sam joined forces with W*a*n*k*e*r* then it could be game on for the world! :scared:

EDIT - Why are these words banned? There's always a loophole around it. :devil:

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Since when has Benitez taken shoddy team with a small transfer budget and turned them into title contenders that play(ed) great football. What talents has Benitez uncovered for very little money? Crouch? Sissoko?

Petit, Vieira > Sissoko, Alonso
Overmars > Luis Garcia
Henry, Anelka > Crouch

Keep in mind Wenger got most of these world class players for absolute bargains. Benitez spent tens of millions on Crouch, Sissoko and Garcia.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why you guys keep taking budget as measurement of great manager?
Benitex replaced Xabi with Hamann showed he is a great manager. Xabi is better at passing while Hamann is better at shooting. Benitez knows and exploited it yesterday.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
vinsea said:
Why you guys keep taking budget as measurement of great manager?
Benitex replaced Xabi with Hamann showed he is a great manager. Xabi is better at passing while Hamann is better at shooting. Benitez knows and exploited it yesterday.
No he didn't Alonso was injured.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
FiveMagics said:
Since when has Benitez taken shoddy team with a small transfer budget and turned them into title contenders that play(ed) great football. What talents has Benitez uncovered for very little money? Crouch? Sissoko?

Petit, Vieira > Sissoko, Alonso
Overmars > Luis Garcia
Henry, Anelka > Crouch

Keep in mind Wenger got most of these world class players for absolute bargains. Benitez spent tens of millions on Crouch, Sissoko and Garcia.
.... and yet he is one of two coaches to win the UEFA CUP and go one better the next by winning The Big One. The other one is Mourinho. The slight difference is that Benitez did it with two separate teams which makes it an unrivalled record.

My only complaint from Benitez is that he said that Cuper's team is the death of football when Inter eliminated his Valencia in that catenaccio show in 2002-3. He slagged them off in the press but then went on to play the same way with his future teams. That is hypocrisy in my book. That is my only complaint from him. If you set youw own rules, then you should play by them.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
The standards in the ELP have dropped a lot recently this is why Liverpool look like a half decent side. Arsenal have always killed them in the league but they have had a lot of problems recently. Arsenal will be back, unfortunately.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
.... and yet he is one of two coaches to win the UEFA CUP and go one better the next by winning The Big One. The other one is Mourinho. The slight difference is that Benitez did it with two separate teams which makes it an unrivalled record.
If Arsenal had Liverpools sort of luck as they had last year in the CL, Wenger would of won it 3 times over by now.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Haroon said:

My only complaint from Benitez is that he said that Cuper's team is the death of football when Inter eliminated his Valencia in that catenaccio show in 2002-3. He slagged them off in the press but then went on to play the same way with his future teams. That is hypocrisy in my book. That is my only complaint from him. If you set youw own rules, then you should play by them.
The difference is he inherited teams that already had a good backbone. With Valencia he already had Ayala, Aimar, Baraja and Albelda etc. With Liverpool he already had Gerrard, Carragher and... eerr yeah anyway aswell as a considerable transfer budget to bring in players such as Alonso. Benitez's transfer record however has been poor with the only exception being Reina and Alonso which were gimme's anyway at £10 million and £7 million. This has been covered up by the fact that he already had good backbones to the teams he took over.

Wenger however had to start from scratch with a very limited transfer budget. He built a team out of very little into a team briming with world class talent for less money than Beintez spent on Crouch and Luis Garcia. (I take into account the reletive differences in transfer inflation rates between the two periods).

Wenger also players decent football while Benitez is all about results, like Mourinho.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Russell said:
The standards in the ELP have dropped a lot recently this is why Liverpool look like a half decent side. Arsenal have always killed them in the league but they have had a lot of problems recently. Arsenal will be back, unfortunately.
So whats the reason for us being European Champions, and why are we still in Europe this year and you're not... you going to blame that on EPL standards dropping? :rolleyes:

Pathetic :thmbdown:

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Russell said:
If Arsenal had Liverpools sort of luck as they had last year in the CL, Wenger would of won it 3 times over by now.
I disagree because I think that Wenger is a coach who knows a lot about free flowing attacking football with quick passing but very little about defensive solidity. He is excellent at picking up kids who he knows will develop into world stars but at the same time has a problem to handle the big egos and stars. He could pick a kid who others won't EVEN KNOW ABOUT. That is his talent to pick him and then mature him into a super star but at the same time he couldn't coach a big pressure club with lots of stars and egos floating around IMO. Those are prepared products. They can't be grown like a small plant into a tree. He can handle a nursery brilliantly but he can't handle a forest. ;)

He has his positive and negative side just like any other coach but I don't think that he is as good as Benitez in organising his side defensively and that is essential in order to be in a position to win the UCL nowadays, let alone win it.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I admit Wenger is good in managing their club's financial. And don't forget tapping young players as well.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
FiveMagics said:
The difference is he inherited teams that already had a good backbone. With Valencia he already had Ayala, Aimar, Baraja and Albelda etc. With Liverpool he already had Gerrard, Carragher and... eerr yeah anyway aswell as a considerable transfer budget to bring in players such as Alonso. Benitez's transfer record however has been poor with the only exception being Reina and Alonso which were gimme's anyway at £10 million and £7 million. This has been covered up by the fact that he already had good backbones to the teams he took over.
Whoa whoa!! Hang on .... Cuper messed up with Valencia coming so close but Benitez instantly won with them. Now don't go on and say that they matured when he came.

Same was the case with Pool .... Pool didn't win crap since those two bubble gum trophies and the UEFA Cup under the Ninja Turtle Hooflier.

Liverpool's best UCL was when Hooflier sat out due to his heart condition and Thompson took over. Hooflier came back and Ballack raped Pool in the game of the season at the Bay Arena.

Benitez took over and won in his first season and they were a right match for Juve, Chelsea for sure. Not so for Milan but as it turns out they were more hungrier for the win so they invented the means to do it.

Liverpool and Valencia were more or less pretenders before he took over but both won under him. Backbone or no backbone ... the trophies are there now. ;)

Wenger however had to start from scratch with a very limited transfer budget. He built a team out of very little into a team briming with world class talent for less money than Beintez spent on Crouch and Luis Garcia. (I take into account the reletive differences in transfer inflation rates between the two periods).

Wenger also players decent football while Benitez is all about results, like Mourinho.
Budgeting is not all that. Wenger had his chances to win but his team has faltered in the past. That defeat to Chelsea especially was a bad one. They had the Blues in their sights but missed the target. Wenger whines and moans a lot but doesn't get on with the job as much as he should.

In today's football you don't have enough time to entertain fans for 3 years and win nothing. Fans start to get bored after a while at becoming the resident biatch of the league. 3 trophies in 3 years sounds much better.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts