Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are now leading the league, like it should be. Next week is the derby. After that......?

Look into your crystal balls (realistic ones, I hope) and tell me what you see? Predictions? Feelings?

·
Registered
153 Posts
By the way both teams have been playing (and SCP moralizing games :strong: ) I'd say Sporting is favorite to win the game... But in this derby you never know what can happen, so I wouldn't dare to make any prediction...

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I hear that, Ladylion! Regardless of which team is playing well or not the SCP/SLB games are always tough and you know SLB does not want to lose 2 games in a row and especially to Sporting so I expect a tight game!

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a stupid question, but is the game at home or in A Luz? If it's away, then a draw is a good result. Great, even. We rarely, if ever, win there.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
The game is at the Luz.

One thing about these "Derbys"; they always seem to have an identity of their own, often not given into "trends" of form. Otherwise, I'd be very worried with the contrasting forms of both teams of late.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Derbies rarely have anything to do with current form. They are battles of honor and almost always a good match. Except last year where we traded 3-0 wins.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sporting - Benfica - 2001/02 Portuguese League

Watching Sporting-Benfica in Boston

Hello. I will be in Boston this weekend and would like any suggestions on where I can watch the derby. I was hoping to watch it in some place where I can take the T to it. I will not have a car with me that afternoon.

I heard of a place in Cambridge, but do not know address. Any in Revere? Boston?

I guess the more options, the better.

Thanks to anyone who responds. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
You're in luck, Braga!

A couple of the alley cats from Jersey are supposed to be making the trek to Boston and we were going to get together to watch the game at the Nucleo in Somerville!

-It's easy to get to from the T! Take The Green Line to Lechmere station then walk down Cambridge St. until you hit the Snack Bar (Portuguese pizza joint it's across from the Portuguese church) take that right, walk down that street until the end you'll see a gas station on your left so you take that left, walk straight until you see a burger king and directly behind the Burger King you'll see a big Sporting sign and the place is painted green and white just ring the bell and walk in!

If you get confused just ask someone where Bradlees parking lot is and the Burger King is across from that Parking lot and as you now know the Nucleo is behind BK!

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Like Toni said today, Sporting seems to be the favorite here but when it is a derby like this that all goes out the window!

-I agree with him 100%!

So in other words Recent form good or bad means absolutely sh!t.

·
Registered
323 Posts
2-0 for sporting
or

on a good night 5-1 for sporting:tongue:

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A little friendly smack

While reading old issues of World Soccer, I came across this little joke reagarding the Mid 90's and Benfica's tendency to solve it's problems by bringing in all sorts of foreign players (after a century of only fielding portuguese and portuguese colonist players).

What do Barca and Benfica have in common?

They both have three portuguese players on their team!

A minor yuck-yuck, but I thought I'd share. ;)

·
Registered
325 Posts
WHERE WOULD WE BE RIGHT NOW WITHOUT JARDEL..... TWO LATE GOALS, I KNEW HE WOULD STEP UP....GOOD GAME OVERALL EVEN THOUGH THERE IS SOME CONTROVERSY TALK GOING ON HERE ABOUT JARDEL PK... GOOD GAME. WE ARE ON TOP:D :cool:

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When they called the foul, I was sitting there wondering who they were calling it on and what they were calling. I was surprised to see us get a PK out of it. I'm glad we had the chance to get a easy goal (we needed it) but I hate having to rely on the ref's "help". Same thing happens in Italy every week.

I thought Benfica played a very good game. They totally shut down our attack for the first 85 minutes. Nicu nearly scored a couple of headers, but other wise we had nothing happening. To "earn" a draw is very satisfying.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Dae said:
To "earn" a draw is very satisfying.
Which didn't happen...but what can he do?

Had Beto been sent off alond with JVP, Jardel and Hugo Viana and maybe even Babb, and we would be talking a different story here.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts