Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
It could happen, but think about the garbage players they'd have to buy. They can't afford anybody worth a damn. The list of English discards they have used is pitiful. Too bad Sabry is bolting, too. He would have been good to have around. Like it or not, the league needs a competitive Benfica. I can't imagine playing the derby each year against a Benfica that can't even tie its shoes. It's getting bad and for the sake of everyone who cares for Portuguese football I hope they turn it around. A three team league is boring, but when of those teams is totally blows......

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
What the ****s that supposed to mean? My only point is that our league needs a strong Benfica team. I'm not a fan, but I realize the importance of having strong teams. Football will not be any fun if Benfica can't put up a good fight for the championship. This year was not too good and it looks to be getting worse. I also find it sad that they turn to Engilsh players that I've never heard of before. They don't last long and make little impact. It would be good for all involved if they could keep their own young talent (Leal). Unfortuneately, their finances don't allow it. I hope Benfica can turn things around like Sporting has done. I look forward to future big clashes before sold out stadiums.

As for your suicide comment, feel free to shove it up your ass at your earliest convinience. I don't know who you are and I certainly wasn't talking to you. My attitude checks out just fine. Try checking yours.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but Benfica even though they struggled this year, they were still good enough to beat Sporting and Porto in the derby's. Benfica even if they play with amateurs will always do well in the derby's

Let's not exagerate the situation, Porto's on the decline, and Sporting was declined a couple of years ago. Clubs comeback, and there's no greater club at coming back then BENFICA!

------------------
Viva o Benfica!

·
THE
13,985 Posts
My attitude sucks ,I know. First, I didn't mean it of course and actually I did think a lot before I said this, but I could'n find nicer way. I just had enought, I am sick and tired that people make fun of Chelsea's players policy. I don't know any Chelsea's fan who has problem with our forgeiners, not even the oldest ones. And we do have great english players. But the comment that Chelsea is the most disgusting team, because we had 11 foreigners once playing, please!!! This is just silly.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Ok, but if you look at my comments you'll see they have nothing to do with Chelsea. I really don't care about Chelsea one way or the other. I think they splash money around, but they are hardly the only offenders. I know some of my brothers in the Portuguese forums are sick of the money being spent on foreigners instead of keeping homegrown talent. I think part of that is envy since our teams don't have the same funds as the big English and Italian teams. It bugs me a bit only because players rarely seem to stay at a team very long. It's hard to build history when the pieces change every year.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
no. I don't care where the team is located, but the BULK of the teams players should be from that clubs country. Yes I do get mad at some of Porto's acquisitions and I wish they had more Portuguese players...but the game is not about the fans anymore...its about TV and Money......Chelsea had 19 foreigners and 6 british players on their CL squad. A total farce if you ask me.

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

http://www.fcporto-online.com

·
THE
13,985 Posts
Daeone, I actually agree with you. But Marcoa, well, my view of football- I don't care a less what nationality, color or whatever they are, I wanna see that players have chemistry between them and that they present some magic, some brilliant football. :)

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Agreed. Did you ever hear the suggestion for allowing national squads to field players from their domestic league instead of only using their countrymen? In other words, the English squad could be made of Italians, Dutch, etc.. I forgot who said this or when it was suggested. If this ever came to pass It would mark the end of football. National teams would be essentially buying talent to promote their WC hopes.

[This message has been edited by daeone (edited 06-06-2000).]

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
I agree as well, Kat. I always felt the national team is for national pride and the club is a club. It would be nice if the club sides had a local flavor, but I like the fact that a Brazilian, an Argentinian, a Dutchman and assorted other Europeans can play together on the same team. The international flavor of football is great. What I do hate is when some Brazilian (for example) changes nationality to play for Spain or whatever. I think the whole crap about a South American having an Italian passport or Italian parents and then being allowed to play for Italy is ridiculous (again another hypothetical example). If you live/ were born in a certain country then you play for them. I guess you'd need a cut off age. Some kids move when they are three and grow up somewhere else. I think the country where a person has the greatest tie/upbringing is the most important. I hope this rambling makes sense.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
there is nothing wrong with having foreigners on a team. But when at least 50% of your squad is foreign its ridiculous. YOu have to wait a couple of months for the player to speak cause he has to learn the language/lifestlye and so forth. The fans don't have anyone to identify with. Perhaps there should be a serious foreigner limit of like...4 on a matchday squad...and no passports don't count...citizenship does. But no..its all TV and money

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

http://www.fcporto-online.com

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Strange, but I agree with Marcoa.

Benfica does not look good with just ONE player on the national team. To me it does make a difference.

It is all a matter of money, media and politics these days. There are great Portuguese players, so I don't see the point of paying for foreigners and not for our talents.

------------------
BENFICA--Forever

·
International
5,629 Posts
I try to follow the youth teams as much as possible, and with that in mind I like give my opinion on Portuguese talent and why the top teams are not signing them.

Under 21 team is stacked with good players, problem is they are already all signed to other teams with long contracts, expensive buy outs and the top ones to foreign teams.

The u-20 team the same thing applies. Their best player Ednilson is signed with Roma and he's only 19!

My point is that the foreign teams are taking most of the top young talent away and Benfica is not developing players like they were in the 80's nor are they active in the recruitment of the top youth players :(. This much they have to change.

As far as getting foreign players, this has been a tradition since the mid 80's. Portuguese teams cannot keep their best youth, but what they can do is take some players from countries that have more economic difficulties than Portugal. Like South American countries, Eastern European, and so forth...It's the only way to survive.

I believe that not just Benfica, but the other teams as well, should be taking advantage of our youth, but it is difficult with so many teams doing the same from other countries.

Nevertheless, I have no problem seeing an Egyptian succeed at Benfica. I will always cheer for Benfica...I would prefer a Portuguese player, but when they are the best, they are difficult to keep. So I just keep cheering for Benfica no matter who they sign, cause to me the important thing is the quality of the game and the team, not the quantity, or the country of the players.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts